Rape choke legal in IBJJF rules?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some say yes.

Some say - you are a marquee of snakes, if you try that manoeuvre.

I like it cause it makes the opponent uncomfortable but, then, I don't necessarily want to be a marquee of snakes either.

Does anyone use this in training?

Does you coach allow it?

And a well formed opinion regarding it's legality in BJJ with the Gi.

Why would you want to tho? It's a shitty way of choking someone. Maybe if you're in mount and are way stronger you can make it work.

Other than that I don't really see it happening. There are too many ways to get out of it. It always pisses me off whenever I see people do that shit in movies.

You can do the "thrust choke" and accomplish the same thing by pushing into the neck with your hand in a Y shape. Specifically, the only thing that's illegal is the thumbs on the trachea.

Leo Viera doing it: (Edit: Won't play here, but you can see it on YouTube)

Why would you want to tho? It's a shitty way of choking someone. Maybe if you're in mount and are way stronger you can make it work.

Other than that I don't really see it happening. There are too many ways to get out of it. It always pisses me off whenever I see people do that shit in movies.

It makes it uncomfortable - thus they may open their guard or give up a submission due to it.

You can do the "thrust choke" and accomplish the same thing by pushing into the neck with your hand in a Y shape. Specifically, the only thing that's illegal is the thumbs on the trachea.

Leo Viera doing it: (Edit: Won't play here, but you can see it on YouTube)

That's it - exactly what I'm talking about.
Not squeezing, but "thrusting".

Is that legal under IBJJF rules - or wut?

There are too many ways to get out of it. It always pisses me off whenever I see people do that shit in movies.
Yeah, I see armbars and triangle variants whenever I see it. Even striping the grip from the inside isn't difficult to do

That's it - exactly what I'm talking about.
Not squeezing, but "thrusting".

Is that legal under IBJJF rules - or wut?
I think you should be careful in IBJJF because their reffing is wildly inconsistent.

That said doing the thrust choke or posting on the throat to prevent people from getting underneath your base is something that I think is fine. I don't do it much myself but a lot of the big name athletes I've rolled with have done it to me, and it's something that today's softer (no offense) lower belts would probably complain about.

Yeah, I see armbars and triangle variants whenever I see it. Even striping the grip from the inside isn't difficult to do

Baiting the armbar in no-gi is the main use of the rape choke.

Tom Erickson actually submitted Matt Skelton with one in pride. I looked for the fight but couldn't find it. Same event when Cro Cop fought Takada

Up for more well defined info on this.

In the Gi - thrust choke legality - without using the thumb in the trachea.

More opinions on this?

Back