Rant: Sick of NPR's race and gender obsession

I've been an avid listener of NPR since my senior year of highschool, so almost 8 years now.

I used to wake up to it in the morning, and fall asleep listening to it at night (actually it's the BBC that comes on at night).

I like mixing up my news sources and take in a basket of left and right sources.

But for the past 1-2 years, holy FUCK. EVERY TIME I turn on NPR it's some fucking story about race or gender with varying degrees of pointlessness. Sometimes the stories are legit, and sometimes they're totally off the wall ridiculous. Regardless: I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT RACE AND GENDER NON STOP.

I get it that that's what MSNBC and CNN are doing, along with Buzzfeed, Gawker, and every other far left media outlet. But even though NPR has always been left of center, they were always one of my main 'centrist' sources. I liked the stories about the rising craft whiskey scene, or some new dance movement in a far away country, or whatever it was. But it's fucking NON STOP with the race/gender stories. I can't listen to this shit anymore. So now I'm forced to either listen to race/gender obsession or some local/national conservative wing nut with a potato IQ that doesn't understand basic science, if I want to listen to talk radio.

WTF MAN.

Growing up, race and gender were not things I focused on or was concerned about. Even growing up in Idaho, I was taught that all people are equal. I didn't give that a second thought and I still don't. Now the fucking leftists and SJW's have got more people playing identity politics and obsessing over race and gender than EVER before. Now even I focus on race and gender more than ever before when I used to fundamentally not care about those issues at all on personal/day to day life level.
And then you have this obsession from the right.

This still holds true... every day. I cannot go a single day without hearing at least 3 stories on race or gender identity from npr. How is npr still going?
I was listening to npr the other day and there was a local environmental story about the work that River Keepers do. It was so refreshing to listen to something on npr that wasn’t overly political.

I was listening to npr the other day and there was a local environmental story about the work that River Keepers do. It was so refreshing to listen to something on npr that wasn’t overly political.
That used to be 90% of NPR. Feelsbadman

I listen to NPR everyday and they seem fine to me. I agree they lean left but it's not full of tabloid type stuff and screaming political pieces.

I listen to NPR everyday and they seem fine to me. I agree they lean left but it's not full of tabloid type stuff and screaming political pieces.

Of course you wouldn't recognize it. Look at your identity politics on this board ffs, man.

Of course you wouldn't recognize it. Look at your identity politics on this board ffs, man.
I probably dont recognize it because I'm not obsessed with it ;). It's every where so I zone it out mostly. Whenever I hear them talk about race on NPR it's presented in a non tabloid fashion versus Fox news, CNN etc.

I've been an avid listener of NPR since my senior year of highschool, so almost 8 years now.

I used to wake up to it in the morning, and fall asleep listening to it at night (actually it's the BBC that comes on at night).

I like mixing up my news sources and take in a basket of left and right sources.

But for the past 1-2 years, holy FUCK. EVERY TIME I turn on NPR it's some fucking story about race or gender with varying degrees of pointlessness. Sometimes the stories are legit, and sometimes they're totally off the wall ridiculous. Regardless: I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT RACE AND GENDER NON STOP.

I get it that that's what MSNBC and CNN are doing, along with Buzzfeed, Gawker, and every other far left media outlet. But even though NPR has always been left of center, they were always one of my main 'centrist' sources. I liked the stories about the rising craft whiskey scene, or some new dance movement in a far away country, or whatever it was. But it's fucking NON STOP with the race/gender stories. I can't listen to this shit anymore. So now I'm forced to either listen to race/gender obsession or some local/national conservative wing nut with a potato IQ that doesn't understand basic science, if I want to listen to talk radio.

WTF MAN.

Growing up, race and gender were not things I focused on or was concerned about. Even growing up in Idaho, I was taught that all people are equal. I didn't give that a second thought and I still don't. Now the fucking leftists and SJW's have got more people playing identity politics and obsessing over race and gender than EVER before. Now even I focus on race and gender more than ever before when I used to fundamentally not care about those issues at all on personal/day to day life level.
You sound white. Am I right? Grow up, dont listen, no one cares what you like!

You sound white. Am I right? Grow up, dont listen, no one cares what you like!
tenor.gif

There's absolutely a problem with tribalism, as reflected in people pretending that BLM is something more than people wanting better policing.

Do you honestly believe BLM are merely angered by bad policing?

I don't mind left leaning, because most of the more objective media organizations lean left (having an objective grasp of the facts typically leads to a left leaning political identity). My issue is the constant stories about identity. Next time you listen to a good block of their programming see how many stories they cover involving identity in some capacity (gender, religion, sex, race, sexuality). It's fucking constant man I'm telling you.
Eh, what? I can't say I've ever seen m3t4 play identity politics and if he has he definitely doesn't make a habit of it, as I've literally never seen it.

Do you honestly believe BLM are merely angered by bad policing?

Individually, many of them are more mad about the Astros' season potentially ending or Broadchurch being canceled, but what unites the group is opposition to bad policing.

Individually, many of them are more mad about the Astros' season potentially ending or Broadchurch being canceled, but what unites the group is opposition to bad policing.
No they are not. You might say they are against bad policing of black people and even that would be a stretch. Whenever someone brings up the numbers of white people unlawfully killed by police to a blm member that person is collectively mocked and laughed at. So no, they are not about being against bad policing in general.

No they are not. You might say they are against bad policing of black people and even that would be a stretch. Whenever someone brings up the numbers of white people unlawfully killed by police to a blm member that person is collectively mocked and laughed at. So no, they are not about being against bad policing in general.

This is a pretty cartoonish view and obviously inaccurate view, isn't it?

You don't spend much time at blm rallies or watching coverage of them do you?

As a percentage of my day, practically nil. It's not a hobby of mine. But actually, I passed a BLM BBQ just two weeks ago and was invited to join (had to pass), and I sometimes see sign holders near the main drag where I live and smile at them. Follow McKesson in the news, too. People who are concerned about bad policing are not the baby-eating ogres Breitbart would have you believe.

Last edited:
{<huh}

Back