Rant: Sick of NPR's race and gender obsession

i used to be an avid listener but stopped. these last few years have been horrible and all they report about is trump, trump's policies, and keep pushing race, and gender (mostly transgender and women) issues. i totally get that they are butt hurt about trump and will scrutinize every little thing he does. but the other stuff they report about is garbage; most people dont care about race and gender. the more they talk about race and gender and bucketing people into different categories, the more they are going to divide people...

like during the election, they reported on white demographics: educated and uneducated white males and females, millenials, etc.... they didnt categorize blacks and latinos into those groups? nobody even talked about asians, like all of a sudden, they are irrelevant in the election. then they want to report about transgender bathroom rights? they are probably .001 % of the population-so who the fuck cares!

My Grandfather was born in North Philly when it was safe before African Americans migrated there and white flight happened.

Okay, so first, I was talking about downtown Philly and it was a visit. I don't know every part of Philly. Also, "white flight" could be translated to some of the wealth leaving the area and it becoming economically depressed. Avoiding severe polarity in classes from neighborhood to neighborhood has shown to help economic mobility. If we are talking about when your grandfather was born/young, I would think race was more of an issue than it is now. People bailed cause they didn't want in a mixed neighborhood.

So i know for a fact you're being intellectually dishonest about the current situation in Philly and straight up lying on the internet.
Here is the real reason Philly is the way it is now.....culture.

You took a quote about me visiting downtown philly and even saying it seemed dangerous and your crying because I didn't come across an instance where I felt like my race made me feel in danger. Cry some more. It was my experience and a short one. I didn't claim it to be empirical evidence for anything. It was just to share my view of something.

@Lead just to clarify, do you think the Japanese being responsible about not having more kids than they can feed as a bad thing?
You are really trying to claim Japan has an unsustainable birthrate because their children would starve? Oh okay..

There are people starving to death in Somalia literally, so do you see high African birthrates as a good thing?

20 million in Somalia, South Sudan, Nigeria, and Yemen face starvation

http://www.vox.com/2017/3/27/15055226/vox-sentences-starvation-somalia-south-sudan-nigeria-yemen

Yes, moneyfight. Since my Japan argument is a solid one, take an extreme opposite and act like you in anyway attacked my argument. Well if you think an unsustainable birthrate is bad, look at what happens when you have too many kids! Wow, thanks man. That really addressed nothing. You just wanted an excuse to complain about a poor black country when it had nothing to do with what I was talking about which was with Blackened about homogeneous countries which in fact is another example of a homogeneous country not doing well. He used Japan and China, you used Somalia unknowingly to prove my point further that there isn't some type of advantage to such a thing.

There's a lot of factors to why birthrates drop but generally we see developed countries face this issue. Now you are trying to twist this into a stable population/ zero sum growth economy argument which we could have but do not mistake that for what Japan currently is facing. This is a country that was seen as having some of the best social programs 30 years ago and now their elderly are fucked because they population is aging and can't find any way of getting younger.

But stable population, right? Tell me how you keep a stable population with a 1.41 birthrate genius. Arguing starvation is laughable.

You don't think 130 million Japanese living on a tiny island that is subject to a human catastrophe at any moment, is enough? You ever been to a Japanese city? You seriously think more people is what they need?

This doesn't look crowded enough for you?

Tokyo-Shibuya-Crossing.jpg

stock-photo-tokyo-april-people-mostly-youngsters-walk-through-takeshita-dori-near-harajuku-train-113994826.jpg

TokyoPeople.png

Do we truly need a few more beige faces and blonde heads there to make the painting more complete?

Perhaps there is a point where we must acknowledge that enough is enough, that not all "economic growth" is worth the compromise. If we aspire to "grow" forever, we will eventually reach a point where this growth cannot be sustained. Where the value of human life and the worth of our principles will decrease as we become more and more replaceable by any "global citizen" of the world, willing to take our place, without any ties to the land that they occupy, nor any appreciation for its distinct culture, developed throughout the centuries.

There are 320 million people in the United States. When America first began its open-door policy, there were less than 100 million. Times have changed since then. Some 250 million people after, you'd think there's a time to re-evaluate whether it is truly necessary to continuously haul in millions of people to America, every year. Perhaps it is time to close the books for a while, and figure out how to make life better for the ones you've already got.

If your only answer to make life better for others, is by offering them increased "economic prosperity" through an accelerated population growth, resulting from mass immigration, and the resulting "business opportunities" (in other words using 3rd worlders as slave labour) then you should probably, probably, figure some things out.

Show me a country that has been able to lower their population without devastating consequences and you may have an argument. Japan isn't even sustaining their population at this point.

People bailed cause they didn't want in a mixed neighborhood.

True, but that's no different than right now with how white liberals use gentrification and charter schools to separate from blacks.

Just look at the recent transformation of NYC & DC via gentrification for example.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-black-harlem.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/...neighborhood-forces-residents-to-move-on.html

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/16/50560...ods-a-careful-mix-of-newcomers-and-old-timers

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/us/18dc.html

It is, whether people are aware of it or not. The proof is in the voting trends. The inequality largely exists because of the inherent strengths and weaknesses of different races.

The whole thing is set up so that discrimination against white people is OK, but any other race it's "racism". Know of any affirmative action lawsuits for Chinese restaurants because all the workers are Chinese? No. Only if it's a white owned establishment will you see the owners being sued. I'm more in favor of giving white people the same rights everyone else in America has, freedom of association.

Chinese restaurants are cultural. I had an Italian client who owned a pizza shop. He only had Italian family members working there. Usually there is leeway given for those specific instances. It isn't a race thing as much as you seem to want it to be.

True, but that's no different than right now with how white liberals use gentrification and charter schools to separate from blacks.

Just look at the recent transformation of NYC & DC via gentrification for example.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-black-harlem.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/...neighborhood-forces-residents-to-move-on.html

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/16/50560...ods-a-careful-mix-of-newcomers-and-old-timers

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/us/18dc.html

I completely agree. Rich liberals are full of fucking shit and avoid black neighborhoods just as much as any other rich person. One of my most extreme positions that never could happen is leveling local tax revenue to at least a state level so schools receive close to the same funding. It's complete BS for the rich to all flee to one specific area and have their kids receive better schooling / opportunities while others are born in ghettos with slim to no chances to get out. One way to help economic mobility is to avoid that polarization.

Chinese restaurants are cultural. I had an Italian client who owned a pizza shop. He only had Italian family members working there. Usually there is leeway given for those specific instances. It isn't a race thing as much as you seem to want it to be.
So, what does that have to do with employment and nondiscriminatory hiring practices?

OK, you know of an Italian that has gotten away with it. Know of any Pizza chains that only hire italians or would even be allowed to?

Edit: Maybe that's a bad argument. I'm not sure. I think I should be allowed to hire whoever I think will make me the most money. If they are all Asians, what business is that of the government?

I completely agree. Rich liberals are full of fucking shit and avoid black neighborhoods just as much as any other rich person. One of my most extreme positions that never could happen is leveling local tax revenue to at least a state level so schools receive close to the same funding. It's complete BS for the rich to all flee to one specific area and have their kids receive better schooling / opportunities while others are born in ghettos with slim to no chances to get out. One way to help economic mobility is to avoid that polarization.

Charter and technical schools are the new way middle class white parents who can't afford to send their kids to private and Catholic schools separate their kids from blacks via having to test to get in. I had a public high school principle tell me this to my face recently.

So, what does that have to do with employment and nondiscriminatory hiring practices?

OK, you know of an Italian that has gotten away with it. Know of any Pizza chains that only hire italians or would even be allowed to?

I don't know case law with these things but I used that example to say it's an attempt to garner the experience of that culture when you visit the restaurant and that's why I think it slides. Though I don't think it has been a policy, I actually haven't seen a black or asian person working at an Italian type restaurant but I'm sure it happens.

Charter and technical schools are the new way middle class white parents who can't afford to send their kids to private and Catholic schools separate their kids from blacks via having to test to get in. I had a public high school principle tell me this to my face recently.

I don't really know why we are talking about this. Charter schooling is a whole other debate that I could support with some key specifications to it. Right now, I haven't found a system that has done it right yet. I'd much rather try to tackle equalizing revenues to each school and fighting class polarization. That would solve a lot of problems and the only people bitching would be closet racist rich people.

I don't know case law with these things but I used that example to say it's an attempt to garner the experience of that culture when you visit the restaurant and that's why I think it slides. Though I don't think it has been a policy, I actually haven't seen a black or asian person working at an Italian type restaurant but I'm sure it happens.
Meh, it doesn't matter anyway. There won't be any cultures left at all in the future at this rate. It'll just be materialist consumerism.

Kind of ruins the point of travel.

Meh, it doesn't matter anyway. There won't be any cultures left at all in the future at this rate. It'll just be materialist consumerism.

Kind of ruins the point of travel.

I doubt it. I can't see any race becoming completely obsolete. Also, I don't see cultures all becoming the same and if they did, it would be more a product of technology like the internet causing a global awareness than it would be immigration.

This still holds true... every day. I cannot go a single day without hearing at least 3 stories on race or gender identity from npr. How is npr still going?

I used to listen all the time. I had to tap out. Too much identity politics and obvious Leftist slant.

This still holds true... every day. I cannot go a single day without hearing at least 3 stories on race or gender identity from npr. How is npr still going?

Funny, listened most of the day today and don't remember a single story centered on race or gender. Well save for the Richard Spencer talk today.

Regardless: I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT RACE AND GENDER NON STOP.

Growing up, race and gender were not things I focused on or was concerned about.

Now even I focus on race and gender more than ever before when I used to fundamentally not care about those issues at all on personal/day to day life level.

I've been an avid listener of NPR since my senior year of high school, so almost 8 years now.

They're publicly funded for christs sake

“You are a slow learner, Winston."
"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”

Funny, listened most of the day today and don't remember a single story centered on race or gender. Well save for the Richard Spencer talk today.
Yesterday was really bad. It's not even noon here, I'm sure there will be more identity stories today.

Ha, I was driving to Anchorage going through the radio stations and heard this weird singing. "What the ..."
Anyway turned out it was training your voice to identify with your new identity. "What the...."

When they make a transition to publicly presenting themselves as a different gender, transgender people face many challenges. Possible surgeries and hormone treatments are some of them.

But one often overlooked struggle is to find a voice to fit a person's identity. People can identify men's and women's voices because there are typically different ranges in pitch and differences in timbre.

The University of Connecticut created a video showing some of the work they do at the Speech and Hearing Clinic.

YouTube
That's where Wendy Chase comes in. She's the director of the University of Connecticut Speech and Hearing Clinic. She works with people who want to make their voice sound more like their gender identity.

Chase spoke with NPR's Scott Simon about what characteristics are more commonly associated with men's and women's speech and why adjusting the way someone speaks is important.

Interview Highlights
On why speech therapy is a good idea for transgender people

Most of our patients are seeking to allow the world to perceive them in the way that they want to be perceived. And communication is a really critical component of that perception, particularly when there is not a visual cue. And I think that it's important for there to be safe places to practice and try things out, and the speech therapy room can be one of those places.

AUTHOR INTERVIEWS
In 'The Darkroom,' A Writer Comes To Grips With Her Dad's Gender Transition

But more importantly, we want folks to be able to change their voice in a way that is safe and doesn't do damage long-term to their vocal cords, because they're going to need it for the rest of their lives.

On what changes

Well what you do, particularly with the male-to-female transition ... you're raising a pitch. You're actually stressing your vocal cord. And they have a coating over them that can be damaged by excess use. And you'll end up with any number of issues, from swelling and inflammation, or development of a nodule or node on the vocal cord, and then you've got a much bigger problem.

Ha, I was driving to Anchorage going through the radio stations and heard this weird singing. "What the ..."
Anyway turned out it was training your voice to identify with your new identity. "What the...."

When they make a transition to publicly presenting themselves as a different gender, transgender people face many challenges. Possible surgeries and hormone treatments are some of them.

But one often overlooked struggle is to find a voice to fit a person's identity. People can identify men's and women's voices because there are typically different ranges in pitch and differences in timbre.

The University of Connecticut created a video showing some of the work they do at the Speech and Hearing Clinic.

YouTube
That's where Wendy Chase comes in. She's the director of the University of Connecticut Speech and Hearing Clinic. She works with people who want to make their voice sound more like their gender identity.

Chase spoke with NPR's Scott Simon about what characteristics are more commonly associated with men's and women's speech and why adjusting the way someone speaks is important.

Interview Highlights
On why speech therapy is a good idea for transgender people

Most of our patients are seeking to allow the world to perceive them in the way that they want to be perceived. And communication is a really critical component of that perception, particularly when there is not a visual cue. And I think that it's important for there to be safe places to practice and try things out, and the speech therapy room can be one of those places.

AUTHOR INTERVIEWS
In 'The Darkroom,' A Writer Comes To Grips With Her Dad's Gender Transition

But more importantly, we want folks to be able to change their voice in a way that is safe and doesn't do damage long-term to their vocal cords, because they're going to need it for the rest of their lives.

On what changes

Well what you do, particularly with the male-to-female transition ... you're raising a pitch. You're actually stressing your vocal cord. And they have a coating over them that can be damaged by excess use. And you'll end up with any number of issues, from swelling and inflammation, or development of a nodule or node on the vocal cord, and then you've got a much bigger problem.

giphy.gif

Back