(RANT)I'm sick and f****ng tired of people saying lifting doesnt help punching power

elbowskneeskicks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Let me give you a background. I was a 6'2 170 lbs, skinny little bitch. I did a wrestling season, was destroyed by everyone because i was so skinny and weak. At my mma gym, i was pushed around by everyone, including people shorter and lighter than me. I would hit the 150 lb heavy bag, would literally hurt my little bitch wrist, not making any dent in the bag. When i sparred, I would barely even effect people with my "hardest shots" After the season, realized I needed a change. I read up, decided to do starting strength. I did it for 4 months. Went from 190 13% bodyfat( tested with one of those innacurate scale bodyfat tests, though), (gained weight after wrestling ended) barely squatting 135 and deadlifting 155, benching 135, and barely military pressing the bar with a 25 on each side. Ended the program 245 18% bodyfat (Checked), 396 squat, 405 deadlift, 225 x5 bench, 160 military and 290 p clean. NOT any means impressive numbers, but it SIGNIFICANTLY improved punching power, i can fold the same bag, my leg kicks end sparring sesions and my shots make a big thud whenever they hit something, I manhandle and hurt the same peole who used to bully me around. My sparring partners tell me i have heavy hands and very heavy kicks, and I can hold my own in wrestling, espicially bjj. THE REASON IS THAT PURE STRENGTH WORK USES FAST TWITCH MUSCLE FIBERS. There is a reason you see heavy punchers have big explosive muscles. DO YOU THINK RUMBLE, NGANNOU, LESNAR, UBEREEM, LAWLER, TYSON, CANT FUCKING MOVE SERIOUS WEIGHT IN THE GYM, OR DOES THEIR "BULK" SLOW THEM DOWN AND MAKE THEM INCOMPITENT. (i realize this is a stupid rant that no one will read to the end but it pisses me off when pushups and situps are prescribed to people who are tiny for their frame and super weak)

Agreed. to sum it up, you aren't gonna go from punching like an aenorexic teenage girl to killing people in the ring with Uberrem power if you dont fucking lift

I don’t believe for a second that you’ve got a 300lbs pc and only a 405 dl

Dam homie that's wassup. You go like this with heavy weights for your homies feel the power hey. Dis my secret for heavy punching workouts in the sparring ring.

Let me give you a background. I was a 6'2 170 lbs, skinny little bitch. I did a wrestling season, was destroyed by everyone because i was so skinny and weak. At my mma gym, i was pushed around by everyone, including people shorter and lighter than me. I would hit the 150 lb heavy bag, would literally hurt my little bitch wrist, not making any dent in the bag. When i sparred, I would barely even effect people with my "hardest shots" After the season, realized I needed a change. I read up, decided to do starting strength. I did it for 4 months. Went from 190 13% bodyfat( tested with one of those innacurate scale bodyfat tests, though), (gained weight after wrestling ended) barely squatting 135 and deadlifting 155, benching 135, and barely military pressing the bar with a 25 on each side. Ended the program 245 18% bodyfat (Checked), 396 squat, 405 deadlift, 225 x5 bench, 160 military and 290 p clean. NOT any means impressive numbers, but it SIGNIFICANTLY improved punching power, i can fold the same bag, my leg kicks end sparring sesions and my shots make a big thud whenever they hit something, I manhandle and hurt the same peole who used to bully me around. My sparring partners tell me i have heavy hands and very heavy kicks, and I can hold my own in wrestling, espicially bjj. THE REASON IS THAT PURE STRENGTH WORK USES FAST TWITCH MUSCLE FIBERS. There is a reason you see heavy punchers have big explosive muscles. DO YOU THINK RUMBLE, NGANNOU, LESNAR, UBEREEM, LAWLER, TYSON, CANT FUCKING MOVE SERIOUS WEIGHT IN THE GYM, OR DOES THEIR "BULK" SLOW THEM DOWN AND MAKE THEM INCOMPITENT. (i realize this is a stupid rant that no one will read to the end but it pisses me off when pushups and situps are prescribed to people who are tiny for their frame and super weak)
Lifting doesn't help punching power

Lifting doesn't help punching power

you will hurt your back.
also, that are some nice gains you made there.

"I did it for 4 months. Went from 190 13% bodyfat( tested with one of those innacurate scale bodyfat tests, though), (gained weight after wrestling ended) barely squatting 135 and deadlifting 155, benching 135, and barely military pressing the bar with a 25 on each side. Ended the program 245 18% bodyfat (Checked), 396 squat, 405 deadlift, 225 x5 bench, 160 military and 290 p clean. NOT any means impressive numbers, but it SIGNIFICANTLY improved punching power"

So in 4 months you gained 55 mostly solid pounds, nearly tripled your squat and deadlift, and you don't think that's impressive?

It has positive influence, but is a weak determinant. The transfer of training is going to be iffy past the novice stage because punching is an unloaded movement. If I were to grab some random guys off say a baseball team, and go "who will have the most impressive punching power after 6 months of boxing training", if you ranked them by who had the best squat you'd find some correlation, but if you ranked them by fastball speed, you'd find a whoooooole lot more. Which is not to say you shouldn't include strength training, but if the goal is power, you're probably going to want to do some high velocity training at some point, and despite the fact that you're stronger than him, you're literally never going to hit as hard as Deontay Wilder did in his first 6 months of training.

I was a 6'2 170 lbs, skinny little bitch. After the season, realized I needed a change. I read up, decided to do starting strength. I did it for 4 months. Went from 190 13% bodyfat( tested with one of those innacurate scale bodyfat tests, though), (gained weight after wrestling ended) barely squatting 135 and deadlifting 155, benching 135, and barely military pressing the bar with a 25 on each side. Ended the program 245 18% bodyfat (Checked), 396 squat, 405 deadlift, 225 x5 bench, 160 military and 290 p clean. NOT any means impressive numbers,

Over 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months, not being rebound weight gain and not being a growth spurt.

Lol k

Last edited:
"I did it for 4 months. Went from 190 13% bodyfat( tested with one of those innacurate scale bodyfat tests, though), (gained weight after wrestling ended) barely squatting 135 and deadlifting 155, benching 135, and barely military pressing the bar with a 25 on each side. Ended the program 245 18% bodyfat (Checked), 396 squat, 405 deadlift, 225 x5 bench, 160 military and 290 p clean. NOT any means impressive numbers, but it SIGNIFICANTLY improved punching power"

So in 4 months you gained 55 mostly solid pounds, nearly tripled your squat and deadlift, and you don't think that's impressive?

He doesn’t think it’s impressive because he knows it isn't real.

Over 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months, not being rebound weight gain and not being a growth spurt.

Lol k
Lean mass from 165lbs to 200lbs and FFMI from 21,27 ti 25,85 in 4 months, seems a little far fetched. Then again, only deadlifting 155lbs, squatting 135lbs and benching 135lbs at 190lbs BW as someone who has wrestled and been an athlete seems far fetched too.

Maybe it's physics.
Throw an 8lb bowling ball at a heavy bag, then throw a 12lb ball at it. Report results

Lifting doesn't help punching power, if you don't know how to punch.
And you don't know how to punch because if you did, unless you have a degenerative disease, then you wouldn't hurt your little bitch wrist.

I don't believe your bullshit story for 10 seconds. Your story started at 170lbs, then 190lbs, then you gained 55lbs in 4 months and also suddenly went from bony bag bending wrists to cleaning 130kg. I was in my teens and twenties not that long ago and I'm 6ft6 and 120kg. Nobody makes those kind of "gains" or abilities, even in crossfit whilst drinking HGH.

gtfoh troll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back