Ranking System in Muay Thai

Im Chi-bin's gym in Korea has an optional ranking system. Not sure why because of the language barrier, but there's just a little thing on the wall with everyone's names, and they're listed by rank. I think there were 6 or something. Testing was optional, costs about USD $10, and they had 3 tests in the year I was there. I could never figure out why they did this - it didn't seem like they ever used the rankings for anything, and nobody wore anything to mark their rank - but maybe it was just a cultural thing (testing, in general, is very important in Korea). The only thing that rank seemed to afford you was that you had to be two levels in to purchase some of the gym's shirts/shorts.

Anyway, I bring that up to make two points: that this is not strictly a US-based phenomenon, and that a legit fighter's gym might use internal rankings for some reason.

That's great, but Chi Bin Lim is a Kickboxer and we are talking about REAL THAILAND MUAY THAI!

in the place my mate goes, they have gradings.
they go from 1 - 10 and my mates grade 1 after like 3months.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's a school here in SF(World team USA) who uses a ranking system, except with sashes instead of belts and they are far from a Mcdojo. They produce some of the top muay thai fighters in North America.

That's great, but Chi Bin Lim is a Kickboxer and we are talking about REAL THAILAND MUAY THAI!

I think it would be more accurate to say that Chi-bin competes in kickboxing. He also trained and fought in Thailand, as did several others at his gym, and the gym teaches Muay Thai - not kickboxing. Just because he fights K-1 doesn't make him a kickboxer. I mean, you wouldn't say that about Buakaw, would you? So I think his gym applies to the discussion.

I can understand why people are opposed to MT ranking systems - a lot of places that do it want to get testing fee money, or downplay the importance of getting in the ring, or are disrespectful to the thai culture. But I think this attitude, that any place that has MT rankings is a McDojo and not worth training at, is inherently flawed.

i think it would be more accurate to say that chi-bin competes in kickboxing. He also trained and fought in thailand, as did several others at his gym, and the gym teaches muay thai - not kickboxing. Just because he fights k-1 doesn't make him a kickboxer. I mean, you wouldn't say that about buakaw, would you? So i think his gym applies to the discussion.

I can understand why people are opposed to mt ranking systems - a lot of places that do it want to get testing fee money, or downplay the importance of getting in the ring, or are disrespectful to the thai culture. But i think this attitude, that any place that has mt rankings is a mcdojo and not worth training at, is inherently flawed.

word !!

Who says the black belt in karate gets respect for it?

by "respect" i mean that a karate black belt isn't automatically shit upon when he wears his belt. i would say most people don't look at a random karate practitioner and say "that dude is wearing a belt - he comes from a mcdojo!"

if belts/ranks are equally worthless in karate v. muay thai, why have them at all?

Boxing, which has no gradings/belt system suits me fine because I'm a poor bastard who cbf'd paying for someone's permission to learn new shit.

My current MT gym has a ranking system, which is totally frustrating for me because although I've been boxing for 2.5 years, but I JUST started MT. In my gym, I would have to reach a certain level (which I hear takes about 1.5 years to attain) in order to spar. This kills me because I sparred regularly when I was boxing! Plus, I would like to fight next year!

Unfortunately, I think I'm signed up for a whole year!

I could probably alternate months with the Wat (I'm in NYC), which doesn't have a ranking system, but they don't have enough classes that fit in with my crazy work schedule.

5 Points Academy.

Most of the instructors are pretty good. And the facilities are decent too. They actually have weights and cardio machines unlike The Wat. Wasn't too happy that you are required to wear a "uniform," which you have to buy from the gym, but oh well.

I've heard nothing but good things about 5 Points, but this sounds like an unreasonable policy.

Nikita, talk to the instructor who knows you best and tell him/her you want to spar as soon as you're "ready". Then ask when that might be... if the answer is still the same, yeah, you should probably look elsewhere. Good luck.

My current MT gym has a ranking system, which is totally frustrating for me because although I've been boxing for 2.5 years, but I JUST started MT. In my gym, I would have to reach a certain level (which I hear takes about 1.5 years to attain) in order to spar. This kills me because I sparred regularly when I was boxing! Plus, I would like to fight next year!

That is pretty unreasonable. At the gyms that i've been to, they let you spar lightly after about 2 weeks of training, i.e kick sparring, drills, ect. Once you start getting better, they let you spar with the more experienced guys and let you get your ass kicked until you get better. lol the best way to learn how to fight is to get your ass kicked. Hitting the pads/bags for 1.5 years is retarded just like the concept of a ranking system in MT. You should talk to your instructors and let them know how you feel.

wow, that is pretty shitty, my gym is pretty much focused on padwork and sparring. on the first day i joined the gym i was sparring with other guys (note the guys i was sparring with recognized i was a complete newbie and basically walked me through some basics rather than trying to actually spar with me).

i would advise you to talk with the trainers and let them know your goals and expectations and how they can help you achieve them - i.e. if you want to fight next year, you better start getting in some real sparring experience.

moreover, i find that any time-based system of anything, whether it be ranks or advancement or whatever is STUPID. time does NOT translate into skill, at best they're loosely correlated and any gym that says otherwise is retarded.

During class, I do different drills with a partner, and sometimes, it does mimic light sparring. But the gym has actual sparring sessions and I can't attend them until I'm at blue / green level, which kinda stinks.

Yah, I do think it's a good idea to talk to the trainers, but I think I will have to approach it somewhat delicately. Don't want them to get an impression that I think I'm too good for their rules, no matter how unreasonable.

Also, it's hard to find girls to spar with. I've been a guest at another gym to spar a girl I met from work, but they made me pay $30! My gym membership cost is already outlandish, so I can't afford to spar at other gyms!

Last edited by a moderator:
During class, I do different drills with a partner, and sometimes, it does mimic light sparring. But the gym has actual sparring sessions and I can't attend them until I'm at blue / green level, which kinda stinks.

Yah, I do think it's a good idea to talk to the trainers, but I think I will have to approach it somewhat delicately. Don't want them to get an impression that I think I'm too good for their rules.

yeah that sounds incredibly unreasonable, i would talk with one of the instructors let them know you're specifically interested in sparring and see what they say about when you can do it. i would approach it like this - Hey coach, I really am interested in fighting next year and want to get as much experience as possible to prepare me for it, and I've heard that sparring is one of the best ways to go about doing this. I know we have a system in place blah blah, given my current skills when do you think I'd be ready for sparring?

just for my curiosity i'd like to know why they have restrictions like that - so new guys won't get run over? (it's the best way to learn/get better) or so that they're good guys only train with each other?

I think it would be more accurate to say that Chi-bin competes in kickboxing. He also trained and fought in Thailand, as did several others at his gym, and the gym teaches Muay Thai - not kickboxing. Just because he fights K-1 doesn't make him a kickboxer. I mean, you wouldn't say that about Buakaw, would you? So I think his gym applies to the discussion.

I can understand why people are opposed to MT ranking systems - a lot of places that do it want to get testing fee money, or downplay the importance of getting in the ring, or are disrespectful to the thai culture. But I think this attitude, that any place that has MT rankings is a McDojo and not worth training at, is inherently flawed.

The way I see it is that there is a line drawn in the sand and I would rather be the antithesis then part of the problem.

The way I see it is that there is a line drawn in the sand and I would rather be the antithesis then part of the problem.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just think that's an over-reaction. There's nothing wrong with the belt system in and of itself, and different cultures are going to adapt Muay Thai in different ways - just like the Thais adapted Muay Boran, right?

If a gym gives belts or some other kind of rank in Muay Thai, that doesn't hurt anything. If they advocate not getting into the ring, if they charge unreasonable amounts for each belt level, if they put inappropriate restrictions on students until they hit certain belt levels, THAT is the problem. Just because the latter is often accompanied by the former doesn't mean that the former is always accompanied by the latter.

Back