Ranking Conor as an All-Time Great Striker

He hasnt really beat great strikers, his best being a win over a smaller Aldo. Id like to see him vs a good striker his own size

Not that it matters anyways.

It's MMA. Striking alone doesn't decide anything.

He's up there.

Anderson
Cro Cop
Conor
James Toney
Overeem
JDS
Aldo
Saki
Machida
Schilt

He's in the top tier for MMA. Guys like Toney and Saki are there based on striking credentials rather than MMA success.
Better include there guys like Marco Huas imo... and rare legit boxing base too...

Amar Suloev too..

People thinking Fedor and Anderson and GSP are the best strikers ever is why I'll never take Sherdog seriously.

I'm basing that on results also...he ko'd aldo in 13 seconds..so yes, i put him above aldo..and reem has terrible striking in the ufc...and cro cop did nothing in the ufc...

Well there you go, using results to define a persons skill set is flawed logic. If you want to use results as a base then that means Atremij Sitnekov and Joe Duffy have better skill sets than Conor because they beat him (which I personally don't think they do). Does Nate have better boxing than Conor because he outstruck him and finished him after making him stanky legged while standing?

Reem has way more KO's than Conor, with a broader set of skills. Man is a K1 world champion for fucks sake, how can his striking just become terrible all of a sudden? I'll answer that for you, it didn't.

Cro Cop was over 30 when he came to the UFC and he had an insane amount of fights in kickboxing and MMA at this point, still doesn't mean he wasn't a world class striker.

He is easily top 3. The only fighters off the top of my head that are even comparable are Dillashaw and Silva.

Having more weapons does not = better striker. Effectiveness of strikes is the only thing that matters when ranking strikers. Otherwise guys with flashy kicks and shit like Barboza or Yair Rodriguez would be ATG strikers.

Aldo has a way more varied striking arsenal than Conor but it didn't fucking matter. His left hand is seriously the most consistent and effective strike ive seen in watching 10+ years of MMA.

I know this quote is cliche as hell but it's 100% true "I fear not the man who has practiced 1000 kicks but the man who has practiced one kick 1000 times" or some shit.

Conor is strong until he gasses then he becomes an ordinary striker the levels of tank abbot. How can this be ranked high?

Prime Cro Cop, prime Anderson, shit even prime BJ was a better boxer
Because conor fangirls dont live in reality. The ability to throw strikes without gassing yourself doesnt exist and isnt part of being a good striker.

He is easily top 3. The only fighters off the top of my head that are even comparable are Dillashaw and Silva.

Having more weapons does not = better striker. Effectiveness of strikes is the only thing that matters when ranking strikers. Otherwise guys with flashy kicks and shit like Barboza or Yair Rodriguez would be ATG strikers.

Aldo has a way more varied striking arsenal than Conor but it didn't fucking matter. His left hand is seriously the most consistent and effective strike ive seen in watching 10+ years of MMA.

I know this quote is cliche as hell but it's 100% true "I fear not the man who has practiced 1000 kicks but the man who has practiced one kick 1000 times" or some shit.

Anderson is overrated, but otherwise I agree. Take Edson for example, the absolute best kicks in MMA but is useless when he isn't given any space. People don't know how to analyze striking, because they don't understand striking, especially boxing. They're Sherdoggers who look at things simplistically and think a guy like Conor only has a left hand when while it is his best tool, he has far more than just that.

I'd put Conor, Dillashaw, Cruz, MM, and Holloway as the five best strikers already in history. Woodley continuously gets better as well and might deserve a spot soon, and you could throw maybe even fit in Thompson, Rumble, Whittaker, Aldo, Garbrandt, and especailly Gastelum as well. Till a bit slow in my opinion, but young and could make his way there too someday.

All the guys striking from 15 years ago looked awful. Once Anderson and GSP came around it looked a lot better, but there still could be big improvements and there has. Hell, there can still be improvements over what we see today as the best.

Skill wise he has to be top 2.

He has damn near perfect MMA striking. If he had a better gas tank he would completely unstoppable.

Anderson’s results are also hard to argue with

If he KOs Khabib where do you rank him in terms of All-Time Great Strikers in MMA?

IMO theres a solid argument to be had for putting him as no. 1.

Yeah Conor got boxed up by Nate once he gassed, but that's just as legitimate as saying Anderson got boxed up by Chael in the first fight due to the Takedown threat.
Sorry, but he's not even top 10.
Who did he fight that was a great striker?
How many high level fights he had? How many top contenders?
Yeah... NONE.

Until he actually fights top contenders, please stop making asinine threads.

Anderson is overrated, but otherwise I agree. Take Edson for example, the absolute best kicks in MMA but is useless when he isn't given any space. People don't know how to analyze striking, because they don't understand striking, especially boxing. They're Sherdoggers who look at things simplistically and think a guy like Conor only has a left hand when while it is his best tool, he has far more than just that.

I'd put Conor, Dillashaw, Cruz, MM, and Holloway as the five best strikers already in history. Woodley continuously gets better as well and might deserve a spot soon, and you could throw maybe even fit in Thompson, Rumble, Aldo, Garbrandt, and especailly Gastelum as well. Till a bit slow in my opinion, but young and could make his way there too someday.

All the guys striking from 15 years ago looked awful. Once Anderson and GSP it looked a lot better, but there still could be big improvements and there has. Hell, there can still be improvements over what we see today as the best.
"All the guys striking from 15 years ago looked awful."

Have a deeper look...

GSP has HK Ko's on his resume and literally outstruck everyone in his career. He is most certainly an accomplished striker.

Idk about #1 or anything lol, but, his overall striking is much better than Conor's. People act as if GSP never put people away, when he came into the UFC he was smashing fools.

Unfortunately he didn't remain that fighter so we'll never know.

tbh I doubt you really know what you´re talkin´about... but it´s my opinion...

There is no opinions in this game. This shit is science. You either know it or you don't. I can tell you Cro Crop and Fedor are not great strikers with absolute fact, and they shouldn't be. MMA was five years old when they got started at a time it was grappling-centric. It wouldn't even make sense.

Comparing a guy like Cro Cop that gets knocked out by BJJ fighters to someone like Max Holloway is absolutely laughable. Know your sport kid.

There is no opinions in this game. This shit is science. You either know it or you don't. I can tell you Cro Crop and Fedor are not great strikers with absolute fact, and they shouldn't be. MMA was five years old when they got started at a time it was grappling-centric. It wouldn't even make sense.

Comparing a guy like Cro Cop that gets knocked out by BJJ fighters to someone like Max Holloway is absolutely laughable. Know your sport kid.
Im actually thinkin´about other names (less 'famous'), but from the quality of your posts, wouldnt make sense to discuss them here, you probably havent even watched their fights...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back