Rank Viggo Mortenson's Movies

splendica

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
giphy.gif

This guy is the shit. I can't say I've seen all of his movies, but I've seen many of them. He's spectacular and his films are too.

10. The Road
9. Everybody Has a Plan
8. Hidalgo
7. The Return of the King
6. The Twin Towers
5. Fellowship Of The Ring
4. A Perfect Murder
3. Eastern Promises
2. Appaloosa
1. A History Of Violence

Love this guy.

Last edited:
Including movies where he is not the main character?

My top 10 would be:

10. A Perfect Murder
9. Hidalgo
8. Alatriste
7. The Road
6. Prison
5. Appolosa
4. A History of Violence
3. Carlito's Way
2. Eastern Promises
1. Lord of the Rings

I really haven't seen enough of his films to provide an adequate ranking, but Fellowship of the Ring, Captain Fantastic and Hidalgo are the ones that stand out to me the most.

I.M.O, his portrayal of Satan has been the best in a movie I have seen.
Movies meh, good plot but he's the reason I love it

@shadow_priest_x

Including movies where he is not the main character?

My top 10 would be:

10. A Perfect Murder
9. Hidalgo
8. Alatriste
7. The Road
6. Prison
5. Appolosa
4. A History of Violence
3. Carlito's Way
2. Eastern Promises
1. Lord of the Rings

I don't remember all of the small parts he had. I've seen Carlito's Way, but don't really remember him in it. In fact I've seen it 2 or 3 times. So I guess I'm more talking about his larger roles.

And I've never seen Alatriste.

Lotr 1 :OMG AWESOME!
Lotr 2: OMG AWESOME!
Lotr 3: OMG AWESOME except that crap with the elephants.
A History Of Violence: Alright, not great.
Eastern Promises: Only watched parts of it, seems alright not great.
Hidalgo: As I recall, not very good.
The Road: Prob good, but too heavy. Quit watching after 10 minutes.

Haven't seen 1 second of the rest.

I really haven't seen enough of his films to provide an adequate ranking, but Fellowship of the Ring, Captain Fantastic and Hidalgo are the ones that stand out to me the most.

Oh gosh man. A History Of Violence, Appaloosa, Eastern Promises and A Perfect Murder are all must watches. I guess the first two especially IMO.

Lotr 1 :OMG AWESOME!
Lotr 2: OMG AWESOME!
Lotr 3: OMG AWESOME except that crap with the elephants.
A History Of Violence: Alright, not great.
Eastern Promises: Only watched parts of it, seems alright not great.
Hidalgo: As I recall, not very good.
The Road: Prob good, but too heavy. Quit watching after 10 minutes.

Haven't seen 1 second of the rest.

The Road barely made my list because it is so dark.

But seriously, A History of Violence? That's a gem man. He's a supreme badass in Eastern Promises.

Also, you should probably see Appaloosa. IMO a top three GOAT western. His role is terrific.

I've seen Carlito's Way, but don't really remember him in it.

He was the wheelchair-bound, treacherous friend of Carlito.

galleryimage_image_188.jpg

And I've never seen Alatriste.

It's a historical movie. The overall plot wasn't anything special but if you're interested in military history there are several really neat and unique vignette in it. You get to see 1700th-century tunnel-warfare as well as pike-and-musket battles.

b635322dfb69262d766c580da4524fe1.jpg

He was the wheelchair-bound, treacherous friend of Carlito.

galleryimage_image_188.jpg

It's a historical movie. The overall plot wasn't anything special but if you're interested in military history there are several really neat and unique vignette in it. You get to see 1700th-century tunnel-warfare as well as pike-and-musket battles.

b635322dfb69262d766c580da4524fe1.jpg

I read plot summary. It has the makings of a fantastic movie. How are the fight scenes? I dont think they showed this in Murican Theatres.

Oh gosh man. A History Of Violence, Appaloosa, Eastern Promises and A Perfect Murder are all must watches. I guess the first two especially IMO.

I've seen A History of Violence and it disappointed me. Appaloosa was good, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best (relatively) recent Westerns though.

I never did see Eastern Promises, mostly because the trailer did nothing for me, but maybe I'll give it a watch at some point.

Didn't see A Perfect Murder either. I believe that's a remake of one of Hitchcock's films.

You need to see Captain Fantastic.

But seriously, A History of Violence? That's a gem man.

Yeah, well... I'm not going to go into details about things about it I liked and didn't like. It just didn't stand out very much to me.

I should probably point out that to me "alright" means what most other posters mean when they say "good". A History Of Violence is a movie I can watch, which is more than I can say for a lot of movies. I'm not huge on sitting down and watching movies, so the bar is set a bit higher than I think it might be for most. Doesn't mean I think movies that barely makes the cut sucks.

I've seen A History of Violence and it disappointed me. Appaloosa was good, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best (relatively) recent Westerns though.

I never did see Eastern Promises, mostly because the trailer did nothing for me, but maybe I'll give it a watch at some point.

Didn't see A Perfect Murder either. I believe that's a remake of one of Hitchcock's films.

You need to see Captain Fantastic.

Yeah, I've got to see that one. Also, I haven't seen Prison - though I'm not sure how big a role he had.

A Perfect Murder is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's definitely a Hitchkockian mystery. And Michael Douglas is in it, in the era of The Game so it has a tiny bit of that feel to it.

I can see why A History of Violence might not be everyone's cup of tea because it's so slow building. But I loved the concept of the guy desperately trying to escape his past, trying to live life normally as a peaceful citizen but is pulled back into being the lethal killer. I loved how he just cleaned house, so to me the last 20 minutes or so are epic. Also, I love Ed Harris. They were great together in Appaloosa IMO but Viggo's character in both was better than Ed's.

Also, Everyone Has A Plan is a very decent flick. I think it's on Netflix. Better than expected tbh. Only downside is I think it's sub-titled.

I read plot summary. It has the makings of a fantastic movie. How are the fight scenes? I dont think they showed this in Murican Theatres.

They are fairly unique in that they show different battlefields and strategies and such. Don't expect rousing, Hollywood-type action though. It's not an overtly action-packed movie. More quasi-realistic stuff.

But I haven't seen it since it came out a decade ago, so don't consider me a gospel.

Back