Rank the Hw's of the 80's

I think this era had more depth, but not better fighters if that makes sense
I get it. I think they were pretty similar eras but its tough to come up with names from the Marciano era aside from greats from the previous era who were still fighting (Louis, Walcott etc).

I think Tyson's era was better than Marciano's.

I think Tyson's era was better than Marciano's.
Probably but most historians would disagree because Charles and Louis were still around. That notoriety matters.

Thomas
Tate
Witherspoon
Tucker
Smith
Tubbs
Cooney
Dokes
Page
Cobb
Weaver (I'll put him in)
Berbick
Biggs
Coetzee
Bay
Williams

Thomas
Tate
Witherspoon
Tucker
Smith
Tubbs
Cooney
Dokes
Page
Cobb
Weaver (I'll put him in)
Berbick
Biggs
Coetzee
Bay
Williams

I think you put Cobb too high and Williams too low, but fair enough. I limited myself to 5 because of how chaotic the era was. Too many fighters who beat a fighter who had beaten a fighter who beat them (if you follow that messy and convoluted sentence). Moz blamed it on coke and laziness (perhaps the two are connected). He could be onto something, I wasn't around to say otherwise.

does Razor Ruddock count? I'm not sure there's anybody today who I'd pick over him

does Razor Ruddock count? I'm not sure there's anybody today who I'd pick over him

He beat Bonecrusher and Dokes within the 80s off the top of my head, so I included him.

Can we rank the era's here, or does that belong in another thread, or had it already been done? Because it sounds like, from many people, that the 50's 80's and now are the worst....

yeah, start a new thread for that, it will be interesting

I would genuinely blame Don King. He controlled and manipulated the division and the organizations to such an extent that even Bob Arum had to abandon the weight class and move his focus to the Hispanic audience and 112 lb. titles.

lots of people blame king for lots of things. I was reading about Dokes a couple weeks ago and they were saying how they'd have all these fighters at don's camp with drugs everywhere, making it sound like king was supplying coke to keep them subdued. I don't know about that, I wouldn't doubt it but I don't see the upside to having a bunch of out of shape cokeheads, grown ass men that you have to feed and keep warm. I think sometimes fighters blame other people for a lot of their own issues, not that King didn't do plenty of crap. I don't know if he ruined Tyson either, I think there were a lot of factors but Don King didn't make tyson not train for douglas. the one thing he did do wrong was have a fucked lawyer represent old mike in the rape case so maybe he did fuck him there.

Underrated era. That group of guys would be running roughshod over today's HWs and the HWs that Lennox Lewis was reigning over.

Underrated era. That group of guys would be running roughshod over today's HWs and the HWs that Lennox Lewis was reigning over.

I remember saying some time on this forum that Buster Douglas would beat the shit out of guys like Pulev and Povetkin. I also think he'd be the toughest guy that Wlad has ever faced. He tends to get underrated because at the time his win over Tyson was a massive upset and people exaggerate just how bad he was. If you go back and watch that fight, Douglas would be a tough fight for anybody that night.

This might be the greatest combination ever thrown, not from a technical standpoint, but when you consider all factors. It was considered among the biggest upsets in the history of American sports, a moment that has become infamous.

lnMwF1x.gif

Yeah every punch was thrown with everything he had.

This might be the greatest combination ever thrown, not from a technical standpoint, but when you consider all factors. It was considered among the biggest upsets in the history of American sports, a moment that has become infamous.

lnMwF1x.gif
If you watched that fight and knew nothing of the two or how big an upset it was, you'd think Douglas was a great fighter. He fought a pretty magical fight there. I can't recall him looking that good before or after that.

If you watched that fight and knew nothing of the two or how big an upset it was, you'd think Douglas was a great fighter. He fought a pretty magical fight there. I can't recall him looking that good before or after that.
Upset notwthstanding; can we even think of a more perfect, living up to physical/mental potential in one night, type of performance from anyone else? Doesnt have to necessarily be a big upset, just fighting a perfectly dominant fight putting it all together on one night. I'm having trouble thinking of anyone elsel.

Upset notwthstanding; can we even think of a more perfect, living up to physical/mental potential in one night, type of performance from anyone else? Doesnt have to necessarily be a big upset, just fighting a perfectly dominant fight putting it all together on one night. I'm having trouble thinking of anyone elsel.
Ken Norton against Ali, maybe?

Back