Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Some background info:

Canadian Firearms Program - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Changes to the Canadian Firearms Program
On April 5, 2012, Bill C-19, Ending the Long-Gun Registry Act, came into effect. The key changes are as follows:

Removal of the requirement to register non-restricted firearms
Destruction of the existing non-restricted firearms registration records
Allowing the transferor of a non-restricted firearm to obtain confirmation of a transferee

Put about 50 rounds through my Government Model earlier. Mostly quick single-shots at a three-inch target from ~30 yards. I've started using reloads for target practice buy my first couple batches tend to cause jams as they're all slightly off lengthwise and the load seems to be on the anemic side.

My favorite drill: Set a row of 5-10 bullets lead-side up on your shooting bench. Shoot them one at a time, practicing insertion of round into the mag, loading the mag, cyling the slide, aiming, trigger pull, and mag ejection all at once. I usually start out slow and speed up to as fast as I can.

I'm also working on several pairs of grips, one made out of Black Walnut burl, one Red Oak and another Spalted Maple.

Haven't went in a long time, reloading is expensive for a college kid. Here are a few of my last few targets at 100 yards:

018.jpg
[/IMG]

019.jpg
[/IMG]

020.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm going to the range this week to start practicing point shooting.

7169658495_ef0f147592_m.jpg

Did some shooting with my 1911 today, starting with 10 rds at 30yds shot one at a time with focus on form and accuracy, then 10rds on double-taps at 15yds or so (I shoot on my own land, and have measured out distances from the target-butt and judge distance based on nearby objects I use as markers). Finally I spent ~10 rounds or so practicing point-shooting at the 7-10 yd range, both stationary and while moving.

And yeah, I do make my own targets using spraypaint:p

Went to the range today and used the cz 75 sp01 phantom followed by my STI Duty One 1911. The cz worked flawlessly as always, I believe I'm at about 2100 rounds through it. I have yet to have a malfunction with the cz phantom. I'm still breaking in the STI Duty One however. I had about 4 jams (FTE) in 100 rounds, not sure if it was due to the kimber mag or need for break in. Both guns were really accurate and I'm glad to own them both. Kind of wish I had a 9mm 1911, it seems like those would be fun to practice with... maybe one day.

I'll have a report Sunday afternoon of my new Glock 22Gen4. Multiple targets at multiple distances.

Glock 22Gen4, 15 yds standing.
Some groupings:
Glock22groupings.jpg

The whole target when I got tired of shooting slow:
Glock22target.jpg

I went to the range today with the Luger P-08. A few weeks ago I installed a Wolff spring kit, as the old gal was starting to jam, and not close all the way on a chambered round. New recoil spring, firing pin spring, mag spring, and trigger spring, and it is reliable again. I couldn't find the ammo it liked, WWB 115 gr, so I chanced some AE 124 gr FMJ. It ran that ammo perfectly. I shot off a couple of mags left-handed too, and oddly, it shoots almost more easily left-handed than right.

I'm getting the itch for another AK, but I see WASRs have gone to $550-600 (hahahaha) and Saigas are $470 or so with the front end already converted- I haven't seen any $299 Saigas in a while, nor any cheap Dracos.

Took the sig 522 to the range this week. Dialed in my weaver RV9 scope and was able to get some really nice groupings at 25 yards. I'm loving this rifle right now, it is eating up all of my cheap .22 ammo with no problems. I need to find a range longer than 25 yards for this puppy though. I also ran the cz phantom a little bit, definitely getting rusty with my pistol skills.

Made sure I'm dialed in for the start of the season on Weds. Time to refill that freezer

Took my ruger 10 22 to the range to test out the new Boyd's tacticool stock. It was really comfortable and let me get a good stable position on the bench. I used some wwb hp and put down some 1 inch groups at 25 yards. I definitely need some work on shooting through a scope and luckily I have this .22 to do it. My pistol skills with the cz phantom improved, shooting the ruger 10 22 made me more conscience of my trigger control yesterday and really helped me shoot my pistol more accurately. LOoking forward to some more plinking soon.

Took my ruger 10 22 to the range to test out the new Boyd's tacticool stock. It was really comfortable and let me get a good stable position on the bench. I used some wwb hp and put down some 1 inch groups at 25 yards. I definitely need some work on shooting through a scope and luckily I have this .22 to do it. My pistol skills with the cz phantom improved, shooting the ruger 10 22 made me more conscience of my trigger control yesterday and really helped me shoot my pistol more accurately. LOoking forward to some more plinking soon.

How do you like the CZ Phantom? What other handguns would you compare it to? I am curious about it, its a cool lookin gun.

How do you like the CZ Phantom? What other handguns would you compare it to? I am curious about it, its a cool lookin gun.

I really like the gun, I have two 1911s and somehow the cz phantom makes it into the range bag instead of those most of the time. It's hard to compare the gun to anything other than another cz honestly. The gun has a lot of neat features for the price, you get some night sights (they get charged by sunlight, haven't tried that yet), a serrated slide top to break up glare, scalloped sides of the frame to allow for a higher grip, you also have the reverse slide rails that also help get a high grip, a nice beavertail on the back of the grip to prevent hammer bite, and a really comfortable grip. The cons however are the DA trigger pull and the low amount of flush fitting magazines if you're into that kind of thing. The DA trigger pull is kind of two stage it seems, it's not all that smooth. That being said it doesn't bother me because if you go for a strong trigger pull instead of a very long and gradual one you don't really notice. The SA is really nice after you get past the DA trigger pull. There aren't all that many accessories compared to models like the glock, but I bought a good holster that is made for the phantom from blade tech along with some mag pouches also made by blade tech so the accessories are out there. It might be hard to find a threaded barrel though. The thing I like the most is it's reliability, this gun has chewed up and spit out 2,500 rounds without a single malfunction. It also ejects rounds consitently, I never get hit in the head by a shell unlike my kimber likes to do every once in a while. If the DA trigger pull throws you off then I would check out some of the steel framed sp01s because they don't have the problem. Hope that helped

Went to an indoor range this afternoon, and put 100 rounds through my Taurus .357, and 160 through my Sig 9mm.

Tried out my Sig's laser sight, and was unimpressed. It was on target at 10 ft, but the bullets hit a few inches high at 15-25ft.

Also tried out the Hornaday Critical Duty cartridges. They fed smoothly and hit perfectly at 25ft. Put 10 through a 2cm diameter.

I also shot through a 100 rd box of Winchester 115gr fmj in 9mm Luger, and a 50 rd box of Winchester 124gr fmj in 9mm NATO. Shot a 100 rd box of Winchester 130 gr fmj in 38 special.

At $75 for ammo and targets, I could have purchased a decent bottle of scotch and got a better value. I need to get a 22 pistol next.

Took the Maverick 88 security out and gave the Gong a good beating, then proceeded to show pepsi 2L who is boss :D

Went to an indoor range this afternoon, and put 100 rounds through my Taurus .357, and 160 through my Sig 9mm.

Tried out my Sig's laser sight, and was unimpressed. It was on target at 10 ft, but the bullets hit a few inches high at 15-25ft.

Also tried out the Hornaday Critical Duty cartridges. They fed smoothly and hit perfectly at 25ft. Put 10 through a 2cm diameter.

I also shot through a 100 rd box of Winchester 115gr fmj in 9mm Luger, and a 50 rd box of Winchester 124gr fmj in 9mm NATO. Shot a 100 rd box of Winchester 130 gr fmj in 38 special.

At $75 for ammo and targets, I could have purchased a decent bottle of scotch and got a better value. I need to get a 22 pistol next.

I hear you on the .22 pistol, I want a ruger sr22 one of these days. What kind of sig are you shooting?

Back