Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Took my 1911's (springfield professional and colt 70) and glock 19 out yesterday.

The colt is brand new, and failed to eject a gold dot round. Brass looked pretty mangled. Ah well, I'll be sending this one in for custom work anyway.

With the pro, I was hammering those 1" black pasties from the "shoot n C" targets like a bawss at 7 yards. I can feel the grip exercise I've been doing for deadlifts have improved my grip during double taps with the 1911 as well. More solid. Double taps were easily kept inside a 6 inch circle at the 7.

The glock 19's groups were about 50% larger at all ranges (7 and 25 yards). And double taps were 2-3 inches low at 7 yards. X(

I blame it on being spoiled by the 1911's sweet ass trigger and I have not spent much time with the glock in dry firing. I'm sure someone more experienced with a glock could squeeze out much more performance.

Noticed a tiny little blood blister between my thumb and index finger on my right hand when i got home. Probably from the colt's sharp grip safety.

I still haven't cleaned the springfield 1911 or glock 19 yet since last time I shot them, I'll just squirt some more lube on them when I get around to it.

I love 1911's!

Finally shot my new Glock 29 10mm and S&W 1911SC E. Both guns shot at 15yds.

Glock 29: significant, snappy recoil but nothing unpleasant or unmanageable. Rounds were hitting low left to begin with, but began leveling out as the pistol was broken in.

1911: excellent accuracy start to finish. Rounds hit pretty much dead on. More recoil than standard 1911 due to the lw scandium alloy frame. Only issue, the first round seemed difficult to fire, probably a magazine issue.

Pics to follow.

Pics. All at 15 yds.

Glock 29 target:
20120318_103927.jpg

S&W 1911SC E:
20120318_103945-2.jpg

Spooky mishap with another range member's M1A and shitty ammo:
20120318_105322.jpg

Yikes, that M1A took a bad hit. Seems like you are enjoying the 10mm Cody.

I shot my cz 75 sp01 phantom today. It went well, but I definitely need more practice than I am getting right now. My trigger pull needs improvement, I am pulling to the left a lot. It was fun though and I am really happy with my gun. Gotta put my ASAP plate on my ar15 tonight, still waiting on magpul to put out their different colors for the ms3 slings. The date at midway got pushed back another month.

Yikes, that M1A took a bad hit. Seems like you are enjoying the 10mm Cody.

The rim of the bullet is stuck in the extractor. The guy is lucky he only got a small cut on his cheek and a busted lip. One minute he was blasting away, the next he only had a buttstock in his hands.

Indeed I am enjoying it. Another couple boxes and she should be broken in entirely. I had a nice grip imprint in my palm, but still not unpleasant. But after rapid firing a 2" S&W 500mag, nothing really is.

W00t, my ATT is finally here (Canadian gun owners will understand) and after a month of waiting, I finally get to shoot my wheel gun.

Fucking finally got to shoot my GP100: 50 rounds of Winchester Whitebox, .38 Spl, 150 gr, LRN @ 845 FPS; and 50 rounds of Winchester Whitebox, .357 Mag, 110 gr, SJHP, @ 1295 FPS. Offhand, double action, 7 yards, indoors.

77a1124f.jpg

That's with the .357 Magnum rounds, given my inexperience, it shoots better than I currently can.

Last edited:
That looks like a big gun.

I know you had to jump through some hoops to get that here in Canada. Congrats man!

Took my 1911's (springfield professional and colt 70) and glock 19 out yesterday.

The colt is brand new, and failed to eject a gold dot round. Brass looked pretty mangled. Ah well, I'll be sending this one in for custom work anyway.

With the pro, I was hammering those 1" black pasties from the "shoot n C" targets like a bawss at 7 yards. I can feel the grip exercise I've been doing for deadlifts have improved my grip during double taps with the 1911 as well. More solid. Double taps were easily kept inside a 6 inch circle at the 7.

The glock 19's groups were about 50% larger at all ranges (7 and 25 yards). And double taps were 2-3 inches low at 7 yards. X(

I blame it on being spoiled by the 1911's sweet ass trigger and I have not spent much time with the glock in dry firing. I'm sure someone more experienced with a glock could squeeze out much more performance.

Noticed a tiny little blood blister between my thumb and index finger on my right hand when i got home. Probably from the colt's sharp grip safety.

I still haven't cleaned the springfield 1911 or glock 19 yet since last time I shot them, I'll just squirt some more lube on them when I get around to it.

I love 1911's!

Like a BOSS.

Yeah the Springfield professional is legendary, beating out brands like wilson combat in testing for the FBI. I wonder how much that baby costs.

Yeah the Springfield professional is legendary, beating out brands like wilson combat in testing for the FBI. I wonder how much that baby costs.

Anywhere from $2500-$3000 these days.....along with a one year+ wait.

Went out to the range to see how a new mosin 91/30 i refurbed shot.
Printed this at 100 yards, open sights.

I also did a follow up shoot with the bayonet attached but the results were pretty much the same so the old adage of 'sighted with the steel attached' didnt pan out for this rifle.

563328_420081148006417_100000136060438_93254845_1105847445_n.jpg

Fed my GP100 some Remington UMCs, .357 Magnum, 125 grain JSP @ an advertised 1450 FPS.

4dc8acc9.jpg

It's similar in weight and velocity to the Hornady Critical Defense loads I have. Those loads are pretty damned hot, the recoil from the first round actually hurt my shooting hand.

That said, I think I've found my go to practice ammo, I hope my local store can keep them in stock.

Here's an old pic of the SA pro:

DSCN0576small.jpg

I'll take more pics later.

Back