Rand Paul unveils his “Obamacare Replacement Act”

The average yearly cost of treating cystic fibrosis is like $15000. The average yearly cost of treating multiple sclerosis is like $60000. I don't see a $5000 tax credit while removing requirements on insurance companies improving the financial status of the worst off...

The average yearly cost of treating cystic fibrosis is like $15000. The average yearly cost of treating multiple sclerosis is like $60000. I don't see a $5000 tax credit while removing requirements on insurance companies improving the financial status of the worst off...
That $5K tax credit goes into an HSA. I pay into an HSA directly pre-tax throughout the year up to $5K (I never use it, I should change it) and use it to pay for out of pocket expenses my insurance doesn't pay for.
That is only part of the plan (form the article, I haven't read the entire proposal). From what I gather folks will still have insurance to pick up the bulk of the costs.
The big issue is removing the pre-existing condition clause after 2 years. That means anybody diagnoses with MS 2 years after this passing won't qualify for affordable insurance.

Rand should go back to his fantasy bubble world with daddy.

"They need to suck it up" -The GOP

The big issue is removing the pre-existing condition clause after 2 years. That means anybody diagnoses with MS 2 years after this passing won't qualify for affordable insurance.

I think the theory here is that is the incentive for people to get and keep health insurance rather than mandates. Better get coverage in the next two years and keep it or you're screwed sorta deal. Of course what happens if you lose your coverage for any number of reasons? You'd basically be locked into your current provider and unable to shop around after two years - and said provider could just jack up your rates knowing they have you by the short and curlies because you can't go elsewhere as that new place wouldn't cover your now pre-existing condition.

Not gonna happen. Trump already said we're covering preexisting conditions.

I think the theory here is that is the incentive for people to get and keep health insurance rather than mandates. Better get coverage in the next two years and keep it or you're screwed sorta deal. Of course what happens if you lose your coverage for any number of reasons? You'd basically be locked into your current provider and unable to shop around after two years - and said provider could just jack up your rates knowing they have you by the short and curlies because you can't go elsewhere as that new place wouldn't cover your now pre-existing condition.

As a carrot/stick approach I like it better than the mandate, but you nailed the important part which is once you lose your policy, for whatever reason, you're fooked.

It's the type of shitty replacement we should come to expect from Paul.

They basically want to restore the system to what it was before the ACA but they're willing to add a few anemic tax credits.

Rand should go back to his fantasy bubble world with daddy.

So delusional!

i1.wp.comSGzSwiF-bb110162cf5bec0a6873ed571dbc8fde85e8ab25.jpg

This is the kind of bullshit that would get the GOP tossed out in two years.

This is why no matter how bad shit looks for the Dems, all they really have to do is wait. If you give the GOP a pooch, the GOP will power screw it.

That $5K tax credit goes into an HSA. I pay into an HSA directly pre-tax throughout the year up to $5K (I never use it, I should change it) and use it to pay for out of pocket expenses my insurance doesn't pay for.
That is only part of the plan (form the article, I haven't read the entire proposal). From what I gather folks will still have insurance to pick up the bulk of the costs.
that's probably the biggest flaw of it, but overall, I like it. first two are huge points I think.

minimum standards should definitely be lower, and we should be able to pick and choose itemized insurance items to an extent. Like two gay dudes shouldnt be forced birth control, yet they pay a portion through health coverage. There are other drug programs that I want no part of, I'm not a druggie, so why should I get coverage for that? That's like forcing me to buy life insurance.

So delusional!

i1.wp.comSGzSwiF-bb110162cf5bec0a6873ed571dbc8fde85e8ab25.jpg
He's on point for most of it. I don't think its a matter of undoing anything though. Its a matter of moving forward correctly which he doesn't appear to be doing.

So after the first two years, what's going to happen to people with chronic health problems that lose their job (and thus insurance)?

I guess we'll see what happens to deductibles.

So after the first two years, what's going to happen to people with chronic health problems that lose their job (and thus insurance)?

I guess we'll see what happens to deductibles.
well, there it is jpeg

Back