Rand Paul is a Bad Neighbor.

Not everyone.

Just you.

Id bail him out

greoric is an alright dude even though I think hes wrong about libertarianism every being a system that can work in a society with more than like 8 people

You don't have to generate income.

Just set yourself up a self sustaining farm in Montana or some shit like that. Go off the grid. Walden Pond that shit up

Why should I have to do that though? Is it the obligation of the coerced to avoid the coercion?

Prosecutors seeking 21 months in prison.

Jesus fucking Christ. And of course Rand thinks that's great, because he's a scumbag.
OF course Rand would.
He made the bitch move of adding more piles after his neighbor burnt the last pile. If your neighbor comes in your yard to grab a pile of sticks and fucking torches them, you have to be a dumbass not to catch the hint he is not happy with those sticks. Rand went passive aggressive bitch and put more piles out there. Neighbor did what you do to bitches, he smacked Rand around.
Rand is still being passive aggressive bitch, instead settling it like a man, he has to use the courts to get his revenge. Neighbor is probably too Alpha for Rand to make a run at.
Rand should have hired Greg Jackson, trained and got a rematch with his neighbor, just to beat him in a decision victory.

If I was the neighbor I would put up a sign in my yard that said I BEAT RAND PAUL's CANDY ASS.

Id bail him out

greoric is an alright dude even though I think hes wrong about libertarianism every being a system that can work in a society with more than like 8 people

Then we'll go to a range and 'Murka.

Id bail him out

He's really not though. You're incorrect in your assessment here.

Also, I don't believe you have enough cash on hand to bail anyone out of jail. Let alone, @Greoric.

Actually, I would say that this thread isn't even the usual libertarians vs. everyone else thing, as we are somewhat used to seeing around here. I would argue that this has become a handful of real authoritarians versus everyone else. As you yourself put, you're not a libertarian, and it's not really by any close margin either. We've now just got a small group of people who are actually arguing that the government should be regulating how nice people should be to one another. Sounds like a free society to me...
Yeah its weird to me that people are putting this on Rand when everything he did was on his own property. His neighbor is just a nosy busybody who thinks its his right to do away with "unsightly" things on someone's property.
The problem is, sooner or later you get this asshole And his asshole kin. Sooner or later they're going to stamp their feet and say "Don't tread on me!" over something important that has ramifications on a lot of other people.
How am I the asshole in this scenario? How does a pile of sticks on my yard have important ramifications for a lot of other people? Oh no my neighbor can see it from his porch, the horror! What an entitled attitude someone must have to believe its their right to micromanage their neighbor's yard.

Rand's neighbor is a goddamn hero.

They should keep him on hand in the senate for every time Rand gets up and gives some some bullshit self-aggrandizing speech where he pretends to have principles before promptly folding and voting party line. The minute Rand starts flapping his lips the neighbor could come running into the chamber and lay down a sick flying elbow.

BAW GOD THATS DR. BOUCHER'S MUSIC!!

Why should I have to do that though? Is it the obligation of the coerced to avoid the coercion?

Well you don't have to do anything.

But if you want to live and interact in society you have to play by the rules. It's the cost of doing business

If you don't like the rules you can always play elsewhere.

Also, I don't believe you have enough cash on hand to bail anyone out of jail. Let alone, @Greoric.

Since you're so generous with other people's money, I'm sure you'd help him out, yes?

Well you don't have to do anything.

But if you want to live and interact in society you have to play by the rules. It's the cost of doing business

If you don't like the rules you can always play elsewhere.

Right, again so the coerced are under the obligation to avoid the coercion? That's a rather silly, and frankly psychotic ethical standard no?

And what's the "cost of business" again? Does everyone generally want the services, roads, security, etc, that a government compels funding for?

Yeah its weird to me that people are putting this on Rand when everything he did was on his own property. His neighbor is just a nosy busybody who thinks its his right to do away with "unsightly" things on someone's property.
Rand was definitely being an ass in all of this, but nothing he did was illegal, nor should it have been. The Dr should have come over, told Rand that he didn't appreciate the pile of wood lying there (it's unsightly, dead wood creates a nesting ground for all sorts of unwelcome critters and creepy-crawlies, and whatever else was bothering him), and asked him to move it. Maybe Rand had a good reason for leaving it there, but he probably didn't. Oh well, not much you can do, so might as well let it go. Instead, they decided to be petty assholes to one another, the Dr lost his cool at Rand, and Rand is looking like a little bitch because he got his feelings hurt and isn't dropping the charges. And now, the Dr is facing 21 months in jail over some dumb shit that he should have let roll off his shoulder. Are those sticks really worth spending almost 2 years of your life in prison and being a convicted felon for the rest of your life for?

Oh hes crazy. But he is also civil and consistent. So there are indeed much worse fellows that you can get into it with here

Rand was definitely being an ass in all of this, but nothing he did was illegal, nor should it have been. The Dr should have come over, told Rand that he didn't appreciate the pile of wood lying there (it's unsightly, dead wood creates a nesting ground for all sorts of unwelcome critters and creepy-crawlies, and whatever else was bothering him), and asked him to move it. Maybe Rand had a good reason for leaving it there, but he probably didn't. Oh well, not much you can do, so might as well let it go. Instead, they decided to be petty assholes to one another, the Dr lost his cool at Rand, and Rand is looking like a little bitch because he got his feelings hurt and isn't dropping the charges. And now, the Dr is facing 21 months in jail over some dumb shit that he should have let roll off his shoulder. Are those sticks really worth spending almost 2 years of your life in prison and being a convicted felon for the rest of your life for?
Hmm, that's fair.

How am I the asshole in this scenario? How does a pile of sticks on my yard have important ramifications for a lot of other people? Oh no my neighbor can see it from his porch, the horror! What an entitled attitude someone must have to believe its their right to micromanage their neighbor's yard.

Since you ask about, specifically, "important ramifications," I'll provide you with a suggestion as to a single easily quantifiable ramification of something as seemingly trivial as piles of sticks:

"Maybe the lawn next door that you once envied has turned brown or the flower beds have been overtaken by weeds. Or perhaps the grass hasn't been cut in weeks and the house is surrounded by what looks like a wheat field.

Research from the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland shows that neighboring property values sag by up to 3.9% when a nearby house is in the foreclosure process but still occupied. When the offending house is vacant and the taxes aren't being paid, the value drop can be twice that much.
"

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/21/business/la-fi-lew-20121021

Quantifiable cash - you leaving your place to get uglier costs your neighbours money in property value.

Less quantifiable but also a very real risk is the potential fire hazard caused by what is essentially a pile of the stuff you used to start a fire sitting there, getting nice and dry, simply because you're too lazy to deal with your mess. Unwanted animals can nest in it. This is all beside the obvious point of everyone in the neighbourhood spending time and energy to make their properties pleasant for everyone to look at, except for one prick sitting there stamping his feet leaving piles of dogshit laying on their unmowed lawn or some such.

And this is all ignoring that the "asshole" comment is more about the metaphorical attitude and the slippery slope attached to it. Your property, your business - right? Fuck the people who tell you what to do on it? That's all good and fine - until it's something really sketchy. Then you'll be crying bloody murder - "well, they can't do that for (insert reason that's important to you here)." Part of the premise of neighbourly civility is that your notion of what's important is relative to you - and your neighbour won't share it. That means that to be a good neighbour you have to do some things that aren't particularly important to you for the good relations and well being of someone whose interests differ from yours. At the point where you say "fuck that guy - and everyone else" you set a precedent of a whole bunch of shitty neighbours popping up and saying "fuck you" as the neighbourhood goes down the toilet.

Your post even reveals that you recognize that there are ramifications, for your neighbour, for letting your property go to shit to varying degrees. Because you don't think they're important, you don't care about acting upon them. That's why you're an asshole.

Since you ask about, specifically, "important ramifications," I'll provide you with a suggestion as to a single easily quantifiable ramification of something as seemingly trivial as piles of sticks:

"Maybe the lawn next door that you once envied has turned brown or the flower beds have been overtaken by weeds. Or perhaps the grass hasn't been cut in weeks and the house is surrounded by what looks like a wheat field.

Research from the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland shows that neighboring property values sag by up to 3.9% when a nearby house is in the foreclosure process but still occupied. When the offending house is vacant and the taxes aren't being paid, the value drop can be twice that much.
"

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/21/business/la-fi-lew-20121021

Quantifiable cash - you leaving your place to get uglier costs your neighbours money in property value.

Less quantifiable but also a very real risk is the potential fire hazard caused by what is essentially a pile of the stuff you used to start a fire sitting there, getting nice and dry, simply because you're too lazy to deal with your mess. Unwanted animals can nest in it. This is all beside the obvious point of everyone in the neighbourhood spending time and energy to make their properties pleasant for everyone to look at, except for one prick sitting there stamping his feet leaving piles of dogshit laying on their unmowed lawn or some such.

And this is all ignoring that the "asshole" comment is more about the metaphorical attitude and the slippery slope attached to it. Your property, your business - right? Fuck the people who tell you what to do on it? That's all good and fine - until it's something really sketchy. Then you'll be crying bloody murder - "well, they can't do that for (insert reason that's important to you here)." Part of the premise of neighbourly civility is that your notion of what's important is relative to you - and your neighbour won't share it. That means that to be a good neighbour you have to do some things that aren't particularly important to you for the good relations and well being of someone whose interests differ from yours. At the point where you say "fuck that guy - and everyone else" you set a precedent of a whole bunch of shitty neighbours popping up and saying "fuck you" as the neighbourhood goes down the toilet.

Your post even reveals that you recognize that there are ramifications, for your neighbour, for letting your property go to shit to varying degrees. Because you don't think they're important, you don't care about acting upon them. That's why you're an asshole.
Hmm, the property value argument is fair and so is the fire hazard one. Fair enough then. There are examples that I don't accept though, like my neighbor who got fined for having a huge boat in her backyard. That's no fire hazard to anyone.

Hmm, that's fair.
I know you're not a libertarian or anything, and that's fine. I'm not an extreme version of the term myself, akin to an anarchist. I just try to ask myself when confronted with a new problem, "Do we really need a law to fix this when a little practical common sense will do?" Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we clearly can't legislate an end to human stupidity, and do we really want to clutter up our system with more silly laws? I just wish that people could be mature, reasonable people sometimes instead of relying on someone else to do that job for them :(

Back