Ranch Battle in Nevada

AgentOrange24

Ice Cold
@Gold
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this, but apparently there's a shit storm brewing in Nevada over a rancher who had been letting his cattle graze on public land for decades.

Now the Bureau of Land Management is after him, rounding up his cattle.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/us/nevada-rancher-rangers-cattle-showdown/

I'm not familiar enough with the situation to comment too much, but I would guess a petty, bitter, bureaucrat is at the heart of this.

Seems odd they'd be pissed about cows eating grass. The gov't doesn't give two shits about gas/oil industry fracking and fucking up the public's water supply.

Seems odd they'd be pissed about cows eating grass. The gov't doesn't give two shits about gas/oil industry fracking and fucking up the public's water supply.

nevada isnt exactly abound with grass.
cattle can do serious damage to the environment,the most serious being desertification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertification

nevada is one of the most high-risk areas

800px-Desertification_map.png

^ thank you

It's amazing to me that people aren't aware of how harmful it can be.

If I remember correctly a combo of agriculture exhausting the land and grazing animals are what lead to the Middle East becoming a desert.

^ thank you

It's amazing to me that people aren't aware of how harmful it can be.

If I remember correctly a combo of agriculture exhausting the land and grazing animals are what lead to the Middle East becoming a desert.

right so...if the guy in the story paid the grazing fee it'd be okay? i get that desertification is a risk in a dry land area, but the feds are only pissed in this case that the guy hasn't been paying his fees. the article would have a whole different tone if it were about environmental protection.

cattle can do serious damage to the environment,the most serious being desertification

it has nothing to do with the environment. it has to do with oil fracking leases..

the tortoise stuff is just the nonsense they are using to justify booting the guy off land his family has used for decades. Not like there isn't precedence for putting unused land to work.

also regardless of all of this, there is really no reason to have helicopters and snipers and hundreds of armed officers delegating this matter. just finding a reason to maintain their funding and the police state.

Holy sheep shiet. Is this what they're teaching you lemmings in school these days?????????

Cows = destruction. Good freaking god.

This is nonsense. There's cows all over everywhere. The damn ranchers family has been grazing their cattle on that same land for generations. GENERATIONS and a desert didn't pop up.

The only destruction in this case is our federal government destroying another family farm that took generations to build. All the while morons cheer it on believing the bullshit some other no nothing read something about and then "taught" them.

Bahahahaha, stopped reading here.

fighting what they say is U.S. "tyranny."

This is just your typical redneck shit. Dumb, uneducated slobs getting mad over shit they don't understand.

This Cliven Bundy is 100% at fault for the situation. The government is finally rounding up his cattle after he's broken the law for 20 years and refused to obey the court orders in multiple cases that he's lost. So now that the law has ruled against him he's just decided that he's going to ignore it. That's as bad of an excuse to break the law as you can get.

So now instead of moving his cows off the land that he DOESN'T OWN to de-escalate the situation he's threatened federal agents and invited a bunch of batshit insane militia groups who are armed to the teeth to camp out on his ranch. He's trying to manipulate the situation so he can look like he's being oppressed by the big bad government when in reality he's been leeching off public land for 2+ decades.

what hes doing is no different than people who walk their dogs everyday on public land!

right so...if the guy in the story paid the grazing fee it'd be okay? i get that desertification is a risk in a dry land area, but the feds are only pissed in this case that the guy hasn't been paying his fees. the article would have a whole different tone if it were about environmental protection.
Yes, at its core is a Mormon who asserts some sort of God-ordained dominion over the land because his family has ranched it since the late 1800's, and doesn't feel the need to pay the taxes inherent to his business.

This has been lighting my Facebook up. There was a false news report by a non-MSM reporter who calls himself the "Guerilla Media Network". Well, this "fringe" news outlet where supposedly we get the good stuff...published a smear piece against the Growney family (probably the most famous local ranching family) that they were corroborating with the government in some nefarious plot for their personal gain. Mind you, the Growney's don't even ranch in Nevada. They're hundreds and hundreds of miles away. So of course it was untrue, and he printed it based on the testimony of some lone Red Bluffian with a chip on their shoulder. At least the guy had the integrity to print a retraction and an apology. Too late. I had about a billion friends re-posting that shit CT on Wednesday and Thursday: foaming at the mouth and everything.

Many aren't letting it go. Here's a meme from today's feed:

1535560_720732521282870_8415845829168226106_n.jpg

If you can't read between the lines, then let me explain. This meme is painting it as some sort of corrupt government crackdown masquerading under that familiar pretense: environmentalism! It's just big brother eco-terrorism! The implication is that this narrative is true because clearly they wouldn't send in choppers to save some turtles.

My reaction is: No shit, really? It isn't about the turtles? Hmm, I never thought of that. Here I was thinking it has to do with withholding property fees, defying court orders, and issuing incendiary rhetoric threatening government officials. Silly me. I cull my information from mostly MSM sources. I'm obviously a "sheep".
This Cliven Bundy is 100% at fault for the situation. The government is finally rounding up his cattle after he's broken the law for 20 years and refused to obey the court orders in multiple cases that he's lost. So now that the law has ruled against him he's just decided that he's going to ignore it. That's as bad of an excuse to break the law as you can get.

So now instead of moving his cows off the land that he DOESN'T OWN to de-escalate the situation he's threatened federal agents and invited a bunch of batshit insane militia groups who are armed to the teeth to camp out on his ranch. He's trying to manipulate the situation so he can look like he's being oppressed by the big bad government when in reality he's been leeching off public land for 2+ decades.
Here you go. You won't get a more terse and accurate summary.

Last edited:
Standoff has ended thanks to the government de-escalating the situation. They smartly won't want to martyr this man, or lend sympathy to his intransigence as the result of some other form of tragic escalation. The Blaze offers some fine insight:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...r-wins-battle-with-feds-after-tense-standoff/

Oliver Darcy said:
Earlier this week, the decades-long battle escalated when protesters confronted federal agents attempting to roundup Cliven Bundy’s approximately 900 “trespass cattle.”

Bundy does not own the land and has refused to pay grazing fees since 1993, contending he doesn’t recognize the federal government’s claim to the property.

“Historically, ranchers would let their cattle graze on public land, and the government didn’t stop them,” Jeremy Hudia, an Ohio attorney familiar with the legal claims being made, explained to TheBlaze in an email. “Back in the 1930s, however, the land was being harmed by all the uncontrolled grazing. So laws were passed to create a permit process to control the amount of grazing.”

“There is no ‘right’ to use public land for one’s personal gain,” he added. “If that were the case, I would start drilling for oil in Yosemite National Park.”

Bundy, however, doesn’t see things that way.

“I have raised cattle on that land, which is public land for the people of Clark County, all my life. Why I raise cattle there and why I can raise cattle there is because I have preemptive rights,” Bundy told TheBlaze Monday. “Who is the trespasser here? Who is the trespasser on this land? Is the United States trespassing on Clark County, Nevada, land? Or is it Cliven Bundy who is trespassing on Clark County, Nevada, land? Who’s the trespasser?”

“I have raised cattle on that land, which is public land for the people of Clark County, all my life.”

In 1998 the federal government said the land was off-limits to cattle, in an effort to morph the property into a habitat for an endangered tortoise. Bundy has refused to leave the area, despite a court order.
That's what we're dealing with, here.

They should just shoot all of his cattle and then claim they were defending their land.

Holy sheep shiet. Is this what they're teaching you lemmings in school these days?????????

Cows = destruction. Good freaking god.

This is nonsense. There's cows all over everywhere. The damn ranchers family has been grazing their cattle on that same land for generations. GENERATIONS and a desert didn't pop up.

The only destruction in this case is our federal government destroying another family farm that took generations to build. All the while morons cheer it on believing the bullshit some other no nothing read something about and then "taught" them.

yeezus you really are that dumb.

yes,agriculture can cause faster desertification in vulnerable (dry) areas.

also,this is probably the first time i see right-wingers argue for "freeloaders"

The grazing issue makes more sense. I dont know why the fuck the were approaching it from a turtle angle as i wasnt aware cows were the sworn enemy of a desert turtle.

Back