Ralph Fiennes vs Joseph Fiennes

Ralph knocked it outta the park as Amon Goethe

80f39dcb6e67a8cebf5411f342696b93.jpg

Ralph knocked it outta the park as Amon Goethe

Fun fact: they actually had to tone down Goethe for Schindler's List because if they showed how cruel he really was it would have turned the movie into a slasher film

I can't think of anybody that could have played the role better than Ralph Fiennes

Indeed. A truly great movie with a name so long I fear it put people off before they even saw it.

You might be right because it made very little money.

An interesting fact about the name: Brad Pitt said he would only be involved if the producers agreed not to change it.

Fun fact: they actually had to tone down Goethe for Schindler's List because if they showed how cruel he really was it would have turned the movie into a slasher film

I can't think of anybody that could have played the role better than Ralph Fiennes

I read how one holocaust survivor who met Fiennes' as Goethe was completely terrified of him.

Apparently he did a pretty convincing job.

Ralph is one of my favorite actors working today.

I've only seen Joseph in Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love (oddly both released in 1998, both nominated for best picture at the Oscars, and both feature Queen Elizabeth I as a character).

I really like both of those movies, my two favorite of that year most likely, and Joseph gives good performances in each one. It was kind of difficult to see him as Shakespeare, but that movie was never supposed to be about the real Shakespeare anyway.

That being said, based on those two films I have my doubts that he could ever deliver a performance as great as Ralph at his best.

I'd say Joseph is very good, but Ralph is one of the best.

Joseph is good but Ralph has a deeper well from which to draw from.

Ralph is one of my favorite actors working today.

I've only seen Joseph in Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love (oddly both released in 1998, both nominated for best picture at the Oscars, and both feature Queen Elizabeth I as a character).

I really like both of those movies, my two favorite of that year most likely, and Joseph gives good performances in each one. It was kind of difficult to see him as Shakespeare, but that movie was never supposed to be about the real Shakespeare anyway.

That being said, based on those two films I have my doubts that he could ever deliver a performance as great as Ralph at his best.

I'd say Joseph is very good, but Ralph is one of the best.

You should check out The Handmaid's Tale. He has a major role in it.

TheFiennes.jpg

It's a common story: Two siblings, both of which found their way to Hollywood, with one being measurably more successful and well-known than the other.

At least if looking only at their filmographies, there's no doubt that Ralph is the superior Fiennes. Red Dragon, Quiz Show, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Schindler's List, multiple Bond films, the Harry Potter films. . . That's a good career.

But ol' Joey's not done too bad for himself either. Elizabeth, Shakespeare in Love, Enemy at the Gates, the recent film Risen, a recurring role in American Horror story and a major role in the Hulu hit The Handmaid's Tale puts him in pretty good standing as well.

In fact, I'd say Joseph Fiennes is probably a little underrated. He's proven himself to be a very capable actor, and yet you never really hear anyone talk about him. He's gotten little in the way of popular acclaim.

So I figured I'd see what Sherdog has to say on the matter of Ralph Fiennes vs Joseph Fiennes. How do you feel they stack up? And is Joseph Fiennes a performer who is even on your radar?

BTW, if you have heard that Ralph Fiennes doesn't pronounce his first name like Ralph in the usual American way, you'd be correct. Don't worry, I got you covered:

Gotta go with Rape Fiennes. Can't say I care for anything Joseph's been in. I haven't seen Enemy at the Gates, though.

Back