Ralph Fiennes vs Joseph Fiennes

G

Guestx

TheFiennes.jpg

It's a common story: Two siblings, both of which found their way to Hollywood, with one being measurably more successful and well-known than the other.

At least if looking only at their filmographies, there's no doubt that Ralph is the superior Fiennes. Red Dragon, Quiz Show, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Schindler's List, multiple Bond films, the Harry Potter films. . . That's a good career.

But ol' Joey's not done too bad for himself either. Elizabeth, Shakespeare in Love, Enemy at the Gates, the recent film Risen, a recurring role in American Horror story and a major role in the Hulu hit The Handmaid's Tale puts him in pretty good standing as well.

In fact, I'd say Joseph Fiennes is probably a little underrated. He's proven himself to be a very capable actor, and yet you never really hear anyone talk about him. He's gotten little in the way of popular acclaim.

So I figured I'd see what Sherdog has to say on the matter of Ralph Fiennes vs Joseph Fiennes. How do you feel they stack up? And is Joseph Fiennes a performer who is even on your radar?

BTW, if you have heard that Ralph Fiennes doesn't pronounce his first name like Ralph in the usual American way, you'd be correct. Don't worry, I got you covered:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ralph is more successful, but Joseph is no slouch. It's like Randy Quaid, not LaToya Jackson.

Michael Jackson--->Tito Jackson.

So you're saying he's no Eric Roberts. . .

I would actually put Eric Roberts in the Randy Quaid category. He is an Oscar nominated actor and was a legit major motion picture leading man for about five years or so.

And who knows if Julia would have gotten her big break without Eric already being established and respected. He's Sharknado-Buseying it up these days, so it's kind of easy to forget how legit the guy was.

I would actually put Eric Roberts in the Randy Quaid category. He is an Oscar nominated actor and was a legit major motion picture leading man for about five years or so.

What was he nominated for? That's news to me.

Ben Affleck V Casey Affleck.

BEn has the bigger movies and blockbusters but I truthfully I like Casey more.

Why would you say you like Casey more? What does he bring to his roles that is superior?
Ben is very hit and miss to me. In certain roles he is very good but in others I find him terrible. So I have to wait until I see reviews before I get excited for Ben role. Casey has been pretty consistently good for me even when the movie or roles are not the best.

Ben is very hit and miss to me. In certain roles he is very good but in others I find him terrible. So I have to wait until I see reviews before I get excited for Ben role. Casey has been pretty consistently good for me even when the movie or roles are not the best.

Out of curiosity, did you ever see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford?

TheFiennes.jpg

It's a common story: Two siblings, both of which found their way to Hollywood, with one being measurably more successful and well-known than the other.

At least if looking only at their filmographies, there's no doubt that Ralph is the superior Fiennes. Red Dragon, Quiz Show, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Schindler's List, multiple Bond films, the Harry Potter films. . . That's a good career.

But ol' Joey's not done too bad for himself either. Elizabeth, Shakespeare in Love, Enemy at the Gates, the recent film Risen, a recurring role in American Horror story and a major role in the Hulu hit The Handmaid's Tale puts him in pretty good standing as well.

In fact, I'd say Joseph Fiennes is probably a little underrated. He's proven himself to be a very capable actor, and yet you never really hear anyone talk about him. He's gotten little in the way of popular acclaim.

So I figured I'd see what Sherdog has to say on the matter of Ralph Fiennes vs Joseph Fiennes. How do you feel they stack up? And is Joseph Fiennes a performer who is even on your radar?

BTW, if you have heard that Ralph Fiennes doesn't pronounce his first name like Ralph in the usual American way, you'd be correct. Don't worry, I got you covered:

Their Mother apparently had an affair with the milkman. :rolleyes:

Joseph is a great actor but Ralph has one of the most naturally sinister screen presence of all time

Back