Raider Nation V. 25 : Thanks For A Great Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offense is gonna be firecrackers next year
Cooper better get his janky ass on board

David Carr, an NFL Network analyst and older brother of Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, shed some light Friday on the decision of the club to elevate quarterbacks Todd Downing at the expense of offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave.

Speaking with the Raiders’ flagship station 95.7 The Game on radio row at Super Bowl LI in Houston, Carr said Downing’s promotion should coincide with more freedom for Derek within the offense.

“Derek is in such a place, especially now at this point in his career, it’s time for some more flexibility and let him just take ownership of this thing,” Carr told host J.T. The Brick.

The Raiders announced on Jan. 14 that Downing would take over as offensive coordinator for Musgrave, whose contract had expired.

Under Musgrave, the Raiders went from 24th in the NFL in total offense in 2015 to sixth last season, from 17th to seventh in points per game, from 16th to 13th in passing yardage, and from 28th to sixth in rushing yardage.

The Denver Broncos have since hired Musgrave as their quarterbacks coach.

David Carr said his brother’s situation with Musgrave was similar to one he witnessed first-hand as a backup on a Super Bowl championship team with the New York Giants.

“I’ve been around it with Kevin Gilbride in New York, and it was hard for him to even let Eli Manning, who was an absolute master at the line of scrimmage, to give him the freedom to do that,” Carr said. “I think Musgrave was the same way.

“He wanted to give Derek freedom, but at the same time, (he thinks) `I’ve been doing this for 20 years. I have a certain way of doing things.’ I think you’ll see a lot more freedom for Derek at the line of scrimmage, some more flexibility there.”

A few other observations from David Carr on Derek’s thoughts on Downing:

— “He loves the guy. He gives them a lot of credit for his red zone efficiency. You look at this game on Sunday that’s where it’s going to be won. They do as good a job as anyone in the league to be able to run the football, create some plays for their backs with their mismatches with (Michael) Crabtree and Amari (Cooper) and even the eight ends. Downing is going to do a fantastic job. Musgrave, as good as he was, sometimes, I’ve been around him, there’s just old-style thinking.”

— “He and Downing have an incredible relationship, they talk every day on the phone, game-plan wise, and he was really the in-between guy. Derek would give ideas, Downing would take them to Musgrave, if they got through, they got through, if they didn’t, then they just didn’t get through. I think now that you’ve eliminated that gap, it’s going to be good. they’re not going to miss a beat.”

David Carr also confirmed speculation that surgery for his brother following his broken right fibula included the insertion of a plate in his foot.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/...ek-will-benefit-from-new-raiders-coordinator/

Las Vegas Raiders doesn't really roll off the tongue. How abou the Vegas Violaters?:D

Damn that's great news. Mack/Irvin/Smith gonna be hunting down QBs.

Now we need to get some inside push from the DTs and it's on.
Have to imagine theyre taking a very strong look at DTs in FA and the draft.

Poe is a FA but I'm not sure he's worth top dollar.

a0b90.gif

Its happening

I'm sure it will at some point. When it does happen its up to Aldon to keep his nose clean. Hopefully he can make a impact, guy hasn't played a lot of football in the last 2 years

My god what a game!!! Fucking hate the Pats but my fuck you have to respect that shit. 5 Super Bowls win for Brady and Bill, that is fucking insane

My god what a game!!! Fucking hate the Pats but my fuck you have to respect that shit. 5 Super Bowls win for Brady and Bill, that is fucking insane
I don't know what the hell Atlanta was doing but they thought they could coast and in classic Pats form of course those bastards come back. They seem to luck out so often, while we finished the season with a 3rd stringer lol.

Meh. Could be. Could be a retard.

Aldon is a gentleman and a scholar. Also a hell of a pass rusher. Let's not cast aspersions.

LOL "looks like he's drunk or high". " Nah, probably just retarded." That's our boy.

Last edited:
How folks feeling about Tay Train? Had the type of season that could get him a major payday from a team reaching a bit. Id really like to retain him if the $ isnt for a top dog back as I dont think he is a bell cow elite guy. I love the committee backfield approach (if you couldnt already tell lol) and want to keep that going forward.

How folks feeling about Tay Train? Had the type of season that could get him a major payday from a team reaching a bit. Id really like to retain him if the $ isnt for a top dog back as I dont think he is a bell cow elite guy. I love the committee backfield approach (if you couldnt already tell lol) and want to keep that going forward.

I've been going back and forth on this but if his projected value is 2-3 million/year I think Reggie will bring him back. That salary is a 5 to 6 fold increase from his current yearly earnings so regardless it's going to be a big payday for him and it won't burden the cap with all the big names still needing to be wrapped up (Carr, Mack, Cooper). Furthermore, his projected contract will barely rank in the top 20 among average RB and look at some of these names, lol:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

On the other hand, the salary cap is the salary cap and I think that the road to salvation for the defense lies with free agency and having the financial room to sign new veterans. So I can see Reggie letting Murray hit the market, drafting a new back and paying him at his current rate. This draft is deep enough to get someone with his same talent or better, even as far back as the 3rd or 4th round. The O-line is so good now that this running back by committee approach could be a revolving door of new running backs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back