Rafa's BJJ record is LUDICROUS

Nefti- Roger won 7 gold medals in his weight class 7 years in a row. Bruno Malfacine has won 8 gold medals in 10 years, with his longest streak being 4 in a row. Cobrinha and Royler also won their weight four years in a row, which is their total medal count. Buchecha did 4 golds in 5 years, with the off year basically being due to injury. And Saulo did (I think) 5 golds in weight class in 6 years but that one is hard to remember because he did so many different weight classes. He never defended the same one twice I don't think. At least not back to back.

Bjjaz- I am pretty sure it was for a reap. I was there and don't remember exactly, but I've always remembered it as such.

I knew about roger but didn't realize Bruno was so dominant. I guess it's because of his weight class.

I knew about roger but didn't realize Bruno was so dominant. I guess it's because of his weight class.
Still a lot of talent there and not easy by any stretch.

I think it definitely has a lot to do with his weight class being shallower, but it is worth noting that he has defeated anyone that could even remotely be considered a title challenger multiple times over- Felipe Costa, Pinheiro, Joao Miyao, Koji Shibamato, Rafael Freitas, and Caio Terra 6 times, one of which is the only time I know of that Caio has been submitted at rooster weight.

When he's moved up to light feather, he's done pretty much just as well, and has wins over Frazatto, Glover, Daniel Beleza, and some other heavy hitters. He beat Gui Mendes at light feather which is pretty telling that he was able to go up a weight and knock off a 4x reigning world champion.

In my mind, he is the BJJ Mighty Mouse. A legitimate P4P candidate that is so incredibly well rounded and skilled, whose resume is only undermined by a circumstance out of his control. In spite of that, his dominance is unprecedented.

I think it definitely has a lot to do with his weight class being shallower, but it is worth noting that he has defeated anyone that could even remotely be considered a title challenger multiple times over- Felipe Costa, Pinheiro, Joao Miyao, Koji Shibamato, Rafael Freitas, and Caio Terra 6 times, one of which is the only time I know of that Caio has been submitted at rooster weight.

When he's moved up to light feather, he's done pretty much just as well, and has wins over Frazatto, Glover, Daniel Beleza, and some other heavy hitters. He beat Gui Mendes at light feather which is pretty telling that he was able to go up a weight and knock off a 4x reigning world champion.

In my mind, he is the BJJ Mighty Mouse. A legitimate P4P candidate that is so incredibly well rounded and skilled, whose resume is only undermined by a circumstance out of his control. In spite of that, his dominance is unprecedented.

I agree. Also you can make a similar argument for the ultra heavy division, also a somewhat shallower division, only I guess in regards to the amount of people. Almost like a bell curve.

No matter though, winning a world championship at adult black belt is amazing no matter the division.

Does anyone know why Rafa got DQ'd at the Pans in 2009. Was it an accidental reap or something?
It was an accidental reap yeah.

I am focusing on worlds. Has anyone has had the kind of 7 year run that Rafa has had? How long has cobrinha been a black belt? Also we can't ignore rafa's record against cobrinha.
If you are just focusing on Worlds than no one at feather has had that run that Rafa had. Royler and Cobrinha both got 4 consecutive, but neither got to 6.

Cobrinha got his black belt in 2006 I believe and Rafa got his in 2008 or 2009. Cobrinha is exactly 10 years older and started BJJ a little later in life.

You're right, against Cobrinha Rafa has won the majority of their matches, and he's the only one to sub the other at their weight. I just think the difference between them isn't as big as it seems. I think Rafa is the best featherweight ever but I also think one or two of those ref decisions at Worlds could've gone either way and the one in 2012 was a split decision. Most of their matches are razor thin but Rafa's strongest wins over Cobrinha are ADCC 2009 with the back take in double overtime, the armbar at the 2012 Pans, and the 6-0 win at the 2015 Worlds.

Bruno is GOAT underrated for sure.

You usually have to discount the super light and super heavy divisions a bit because the talent pool tends to be smaller, but even with the discount, he's outrageously good.

He also has a truly badass game for a lightweight, rather than being a typical point staller. A killer from top and bottom game, and a wicked butterfly player.

when did he face Beleza? I want to see a video of that match

Back