Rafael Mendes Retires from Competing in BJJ

At age 27.

From AoJ site:

“I’VE DEDICATED THE PAST 16 YEARS OF MY LIFE TO JIU JITSU. BECAUSE OF THIS ART I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO TRAVEL THE WORLD, MEET PEOPLE THAT I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD MEET AND COMPETE AGAINST THE PREVIOUS CHAMPIONS THAT INSPIRED ME TO PUSH MYSELF HARDER EVERYDAY. I’VE WON THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 6 TIMES, ADCC TWICE AND CEMENTED MYSELF AS THE GREATEST FEATHERWEIGHT OF ALL TIME. THERE’S NOTHING LEFT TO PROVE.

SOME MAY SEE THIS AS AN END, BUT FOR ME IT’S THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING NEW. THE SAME DEDICATION AND PASSION THAT I PUT TOWARDS MY COMPETITION CAREER WILL NOW BE REFOCUSED TO OTHER ASPECTS OF MY LIFE.” — RAFAEL MENDES

Too bad. A couple more mundials & he would've been in the upper echelon with Travis Lutter.

Also, why is he shouting?

Ryan Hall can kick people in the face with his karate too. Do you think Ryan Hall would do well against Jose Aldo or Mac Gregor?

You'd be surprised. McGod wouldn't know what to do when an inverted heel hook was being applied.

What city in USA will he open a school in to make the big bucks now? NYC is saturated. Already has Renzo, Marcelo, and Shaolin. SoCal has everyone too.

Where in the world is there an untapped market?

What city in USA will he open a school in to make the big bucks now? NYC is saturated. Already has Renzo, Marcelo, and Shaolin. SoCal has everyone too.

You know Rafa has a school already opened? The moved right next to a different academy and his neighbours moved away.

We got a lot of good schools here in AZ. How about Florida, Texas, and maybe Oregon? Definitely not as much of a hot spot.

Yeah but that doesn't really make his BJJ that much better right?

A in competition test shouldn't catch anyone who takes doping seriously.
The biggest reason for Rafa to retire is that he doesn't really have much to gain by winning some more worlds medals, and they take a lot of effort to prepare for. If Rafa keeps competing he will loose sooner or later and he seems to hate loosing above everything.

What city in USA will he open a school in to make the big bucks now? NYC is saturated. Already has Renzo, Marcelo, and Shaolin.

Yeah, but his jits is better than anyone on that list except maybe Marcelo.

i wanted to read it, but its in all fucking caps.

Why would Rafa open a new school? He has a big one in SoCal

Well it's not his. He shares it with his brother and I believe that he does not own the rights to the name "art of jiu jitsu"

Back