Rafael Mendes Retires from Competing in BJJ

JSnake

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

At age 27.

From AoJ site:

“I’VE DEDICATED THE PAST 16 YEARS OF MY LIFE TO JIU JITSU. BECAUSE OF THIS ART I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO TRAVEL THE WORLD, MEET PEOPLE THAT I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD MEET AND COMPETE AGAINST THE PREVIOUS CHAMPIONS THAT INSPIRED ME TO PUSH MYSELF HARDER EVERYDAY. I’VE WON THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 6 TIMES, ADCC TWICE AND CEMENTED MYSELF AS THE GREATEST FEATHERWEIGHT OF ALL TIME. THERE’S NOTHING LEFT TO PROVE.

SOME MAY SEE THIS AS AN END, BUT FOR ME IT’S THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING NEW. THE SAME DEDICATION AND PASSION THAT I PUT TOWARDS MY COMPETITION CAREER WILL NOW BE REFOCUSED TO OTHER ASPECTS OF MY LIFE.” — RAFAEL MENDES

Well, the guy proved himself time and time again. He is married and now has a kid to raise. Plus, I don’t think he wants to run into any serious permanent injuries. He was lucky not be seriously injured in his career.

this was actually posted a while back on his facebook, i believe.

it sucks that he's retiring at 27, but then again when you listen to the list of his accomplishments, it kinda makes sense. dude's achieved everything there is to achieve in this sport.

Some people are questioning why he's retiring so young cuz of the Miyao thing

Some people are questioning why he's retiring so young cuz of the Miyao thing
him retiring wouldn't somehow hide a positive test though, so those people are full of shit.

had he been busted by USADA, we'd know about it.

AOJ has taken off to such a degree that it is not at all surprising. With all his sources of income, and his accomplishments, and growing family it is no real surprise that competition has taken a backseat.

That being said, I don't see his ego allowing him to sit out of Worlds in 2018 if Cobrinha earns his 5th World title on Sunday, and then looks to tie Rafa's record next year.

He has nothing to prove and wants to help more with the growing number of competitors they got
I actually don't see him coming back

That being said, I don't see his ego allowing him to sit out of Worlds in 2018 if Cobrinha earns his 5th World title on Sunday, and then looks to tie Rafa's record next year.
Ding ding ding

Correct answer

MMA in his future?

I would be really surprised. Rafa has a big gym and lot of opportunity to earn money, it doesn't make sense to risk everything trying to be a mma champion.
BJJ alone aren't enough to be high level in mma nowdays.

MMA in his future?
Definitely not. He's said before that nothing about MMA is appealing at all for him, and that he has never had any interest in doing it.

His career in terms of doing any competitive combat sports is over, unless Cobrinha matches his number of World titles. Which could happen. If that happens, I could see him coming back.

Besides that, he's done with grappling and he's definitely never going to do MMA.

Has he ever been submitted as a black belt, even during training sessions? If he has I've never seen it. I think that detail would set his legacy apart from a lot of greats.

Has he ever been submitted as a black belt, even during training sessions? If he has I've never seen it. I think that detail would set his legacy apart from a lot of greats.

I haven't heard about him getting subbed. Even other ATOS guys haven't mentioned it.

Well Cobrinha got the title, see if Rafa comes back at some point now.

Do you think he'd come back for Danthewolfman?

I would be really surprised. Rafa has a big gym and lot of opportunity to earn money, it doesn't make sense to risk everything trying to be a mma champion.
BJJ alone aren't enough to be high level in mma nowdays.

Demian Maia

Back