Rafa Mendes: 'I Don't Do Strength And Conditioning Anymore, I Just Do Jiu-Jitsu'

Any BJJ guys here lift because they generally enjoy it and don't see it as a chore?

So sick of lazy people making excuses for not lifting and making up bullshit nonsense that "you don't need to lift" ..I work long hours and make time for the gym.

Like honestly STFU being little bitches

I think there are few guys who can get away with not lifting. Such as Rafa and Marcelo.. I mean Marcelo's track record speaks for itself. I think Lo is another that doesn't like to lift.

However, for majority of people S&C is definitely part of their workout routine.
I lift to prevent injuries and help out conditioning.

Do people HAVE to lift? No. But for a lot of people, it helps.

Any BJJ guys here lift because they generally enjoy it and don't see it as a chore?

So sick of lazy people making excuses for not lifting and making up bullshit nonsense that "you don't need to lift" ..I work long hours and make time for the gym.

Like honestly STFU being little bitches

I lift because I really like lifting. I've been grappling a long time, it's nice to get some rewards like PRs because I rarely get to do anything new on the mats. It helps my BJJ for sure, but mostly I just like it.

I've given up doing cardio because I hate it, this is my hobby, I'm fighting masters from now on, and if I lose my 4th match of the day because I didn't run the 6 weeks leading up to the tournament so be it. It's no longer worth my time to make myself do shit I hate, I've fought a lot of tournaments, beat a lot of good guys, won my pro fight, I've proven enough. It's gravy from here on out. If I do end up going to old guy worlds again that will be the only tournament I'll do hardcore cardio for (maybe another pro fight, I'd kind of like to take a no-gi one but I don't know if that's in the cards or not).

I think there are few guys who can get away with not lifting. Such as Rafa and Marcelo.. I mean Marcelo's track record speaks for itself. I think Lo is another that doesn't like to lift.

However, for majority of people S&C is definitely part of their workout routine.
I lift to prevent injuries and help out conditioning.

Do people HAVE to lift? No. But for a lot of people, it helps.

Lo lifts now. He's jacked AF. Dat Brazilian horsemeat yo.

Most people train for fun. If I have to do unfun things to get better results at BJJ it sort of defeats the purpose.

Lo was jacked even before he lifted.

I'll make a distinction: he's always been ripped, now he's getting jacked. He was a skinny ass LW the two years he won Mundials there, these days I think he could seriously compete at HW.

Back