rafa mendes and half guard

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about.

And I mean he can distinguish all he wants or call it anything but it's still a common style of deep half guard

The way Rafa plays the waiter sweep is very x guardish. He also does a waiter-x positions which is the waiter sweep with the opponent standing.

DHG and x-guard has a lot of overlap.

I mean Marcelo developed x-guard out of his DHG game in the first place after all.

The way Rafa plays the waiter sweep is very x guardish. He also does a waiter-x positions which is the waiter sweep with the opponent standing.

Yeah it's awesome stuff. Really simple but I'd never thought of it before. I especially like the waiter/x combo thing he does.

DHG and x-guard has a lot of overlap.

I mean Marcelo developed x-guard out of his DHG game in the first place after all.

Exactly. There was an awesome Ryan Hall clip from when he was training with Marcelo that Stuart Cooper sadly removed from youtube but it was an entire concept on how deep half and z guard are the exact same concept but just at different ranges. It helped me understand both guards much better and it's a shame that it's not online anymore.

This was all way back before the 2003 ADCC; a lot of alliance guys played dhg back then. Many still do in fact (eg, Bernardo Faria).

god those awesome bad boy posters are awesome i miss the old brands

This was all way back before the 2003 ADCC; a lot of alliance guys played dhg back then. Many still do in fact (eg, Bernardo Faria).

Interesting tidbit- Alliance black belt Jamelao really enstantiated deep half guard in the States when Franjinha brought him up to train at Paragon. The rest- Jeff Glover, Tyrone Glover, Bill Cooper- is history.

Interesting tidbit- Alliance black belt Jamelao really enstantiated deep half guard in the States when Franjinha brought him up to train at Paragon. The rest- Jeff Glover, Tyrone Glover, Bill Cooper- is history.
That's very cool to know. When I first started training I always heard that style of half guard called Paragon half guard and it was called that many times on message boards too. I started hearing deep half guard later. So I always assumed it was something Franjinha came up with.

That entire paragon crew created and displayed a lot of innovation with bjj that they don't get enough credit for imo

Having trained at AOJ for a little bit and asking Gui and Rafa about half guard, their guard philosophy is really based around "distance control". They feel that half guard does not allow proper distance management, especially if you're going against a heavier opponent.

DLR/RDLR, collar & sleeve and sometime spider give superior distance control. I adopted this methodology many years ago and use half guard merely to retain full/open guard.

Lucas Leite is the most notable accomplished black belt that had half guard as a staple of his competition game, putting a deep underhook into play. Many of the local checkmat guys use his game. It's very efficient and annoying rolling with someone with a deep understanding of half guard. It's such a dog fight from that position.

Having trained at AOJ for a little bit and asking Gui and Rafa about half guard, their guard philosophy is really based around "distance control". They feel that half guard does not allow proper distance management, especially if you're going against a heavier opponent.

DLR/RDLR, collar & sleeve and sometime spider give superior distance control. I adopted this methodology many years ago and use half guard merely to retain full/open guard.

Lucas Leite is the most notable accomplished black belt that had half guard as a staple of his competition game, putting a deep underhook into play. Many of the local checkmat guys use his game. It's very efficient and annoying rolling with someone with a deep understanding of half guard. It's such a dog fight from that position.

i personaly like half guard no gi more than the gi due to the lack of grips they have to try and slow you down with no gi its very hard playing regular de la riva it controls distance but no posture control to attack sweeps or subs besides leg locks

Lucas is definitely up there. He swept Xande effortlessly from half guard in their 2015 worlds final. However, in terms of pure half guard players, Bernardo is arguably more accomplished. He pulls half guard in almost every match, and sweeps pretty much everyone from there, even guys he eventually loses to.

I'm not sure I understand the Mendes bros objection to HG. It definitely works at the highest levels, but you do have to be ready to get your face smashed for long periods of time. It is my favorite position on bottom for sure.

Lucas is definitely up there. He swept Xande effortlessly from half guard in their 2015 worlds final. However, in terms of pure half guard players, Bernardo is arguably more accomplished. He pulls half guard in almost every match, and sweeps pretty much everyone from there, even guys he eventually loses to.

I'm not sure I understand the Mendes bros objection to HG. It definitely works at the highest levels, but you do have to be ready to get your face smashed for long periods of time. It is my favorite position on bottom for sure.

exactly its the hardest position to pass tbh no other guard takes as long to pass i think at lower levels under brown gi deep half is better to hit sweeps and control but at top levels guys pressure and grips can really shut you down i dont like playing it with the gi

90% of successful guard players all use distance management as a main mechanic of their guard. Traditional half-guard doesn't allow this and there are better alternatives for an attacking guard game.

90% of successful guard players all use distance management as a main mechanic of their guard. Traditional half-guard doesn't allow this and there are better alternatives for an attacking guard game.

I like "half-guard" because it's incredibly dynamic. I can switch from regular half to knee shield to z-guard to 1/2 butterfly to deep half at the drop of a hat. Definitely tons of distance management involved.

Any black belt worlds medals?

You can get away with playing an old school half sitting there without any shield or under hook but it's gets a lot harder the better the passers get.
Even Bernardo Faria got pwned when he faced Roger.
I rely a lot in the gym on people most people not being able to free the leg from the half if you have a good squeeze but it's not something that scales up.

He got pwned against Roger? Well that settles it, he sucks.

exactly its the hardest position to pass tbh no other guard takes as long to pass i think at lower levels under brown gi deep half is better to hit sweeps and control but at top levels guys pressure and grips can really shut you down i dont like playing it with the gi

the hardest position to pass? No way. One example:

Closed guard is infinitely harder to pass. You need to open first then you're able to pass. Vs closed guard, pressuring and smashing is not an option. Half guard is easily pressured into.

I like "half-guard" because it's incredibly dynamic. I can switch from regular half to knee shield to z-guard to 1/2 butterfly to deep half at the drop of a hat. Definitely tons of distance management involved.
isnt z guard basically the same shit as knee shield?

the hardest position to pass? No way. One example:

Closed guard is infinitely harder to pass. You need to open first then you're able to pass. Vs closed guard, pressuring and smashing is not an option. Half guard is easily pressured into.
funny you say that cause i tell my students the easiest thing in all of jiu jitsu is stopping closed guard breaking the legs just have good base and stand up i never worry about someones closed guard as long as you have good fundamentals posture and base your not gonna get submitted thats why u never see it used at higher levels anymore

Back