Radiohead Is The Greatest Band Ever

What criteria does someone use to decide which band the best band ever is? Is there any concrete formula a person could ever use to say Radiohead is better at making music than, say, Springsteen and the E Street band? It seems to me musical taste is almost entirely subjective and there's really nothing solid to say about what you do or don't like except that you do or don't like them. Critiques can be both offered and refuted with pure sophistry and no real foundational backup, unless we're talking classical music/hitting specific notes, and even then, enjoyment is subjective and mistakes can produce happy new melodies that work better to one ear or another

Bottom line fuck Radiohead WAR Springsteen and the Big Man may he rest in peace, and ,oh, also, what I like is better than what you like
I don't think you could ever name one for sure best band or artist in something like music, but objectively speaking I think you can make a list of GOATs. Longevity, consistency, multiple classics, creativity. If a band has those things, and i'm sure you can name others as well, gotta discuss them as all time greats.

Those songs sound exactly the same, right guys?

No but the first song sounds like Jenny Death. And Black Quarterback sounds like Feels like a wheel or Birds or anne bonny. I just said they make the same records over and over not that they do it back to back, or something lol.

Lol you need to listen to more music, for real. Nobody has come close to what? Making an album constructed of samples and putting it into melodic noise? There are endless records that are built on this very premise.

Now you're just saying noise rap is some revolutionary thing? What about Dalek? This stuff isn't new, I'm sorry.

Tim Hecker is complete garbage with no sense on sonic correlation, hes as 'noise' as it gets

Lol @ The Books. Do you really not see the difference from DG? Its so obviously different.

And Lol @ Akufen. They use samples completely differently, nevermind sonically how they put them to use. Do you know anything about sequencing?

No but the first song sounds like Jenny Death. And Black Quarterback sounds like Feels like a wheel or Birds or anne bonny. I just said they make the same records over and over not that they do it back to back, or something lol.
Oh, Ring a Bell sounds like Jenny Death you say?

EDIT hell lets even add a diff song from Bottomless Pit

So similar........

Tim Hecker is complete garbage with no sense on sonic correlation, hes as 'noise' as it gets

Lol @ The Books. Do you really not see the difference from DG? Its so obviously different.

And Lol @ Akufen. They use samples completely differently, nevermind sonically how they put them to use. Do you know anything about sequencing?
Well firstly Tim Hecker is as far from noise as one can get. As I expected you are woefully ignorant when it comes to noise music as most hardcore DG fans are. Once again, noise music for people don't like noise music. Tame. Of course the Books and Akufen (who isn't a they but a he, but you knew that right?) use samples differently but they still build records out of them. If your thought here is no one has sequenced samples the exact same way as DG did on Bottomless Pit then of course it is singular but so is every other sample based record. You could say the same about Tim Hecker's work there too, nobody has sequenced their samples like that. I guess he's a genius too?

Oh, Ring a Bell sounds like Jenny Death you say?

EDIT hell lets even add a diff song from Bottomless Pit

So similar........

Yeah, of course it does lol. It's all just really tame noise with nihilistic lyrics that are growing more stale.

Well firstly Tim Hecker is as far from noise as one can get. As I expected you are woefully ignorant when it comes to noise music as most hardcore DG fans are. Once again, noise music for people don't like noise music. Tame. Of course the Books and Akufen (who isn't a they but a he, but you knew that right?) use samples differently but they still build records out of them. If your thought here is no one has sequenced samples the exact same way as DG did on Bottomless Pit then of course it is singular but so is every other sample based record. You could say the same about Tim Hecker's work there too, nobody has sequenced their samples like that. I guess he's a genius too?
I'll say something I already said in this thread, i'm not even going into a talk about genre, cause you're right I am woefully ignorant. I don't exactly care for genres.

You know nothing of sequencing man. No one has ever sequenced samples like DG did on nig g as on the moon (you cant even get your albums straight lol).

I'll say something I already said in this thread, i'm not even going into a talk about genre, cause you're right I am woefully ignorant. I don't exactly care for genres.

You know nothing of sequencing man. No one has ever sequenced samples like DG did on nig g as on the moon (you cant even get your albums straight lol).
I don't really think of noise as a genre but a sound. You can just simply say you don't like noise music which is fine. You keep saying that about me not knowing anything about sequencing and I don't know what you are getting out so perhaps you're correct. I can't get the albums straight cause they all sound alike.
Yes. In the face of facts, resort to insults.
Which insult did I use and which fact did you provide? Remember art is subjective. ;)

Which insult did I use and which fact did you provide? Remember art is subjective. ;)
When you decide to not be a childish clown and admit you were wrong about DG sounding the same, i'll start responding to you again. I'm not going to waste my time with someone is going to keep pretending he wasn't proven wrong. What I posted was, like I said, the equivalent to posting a rock song and a rap song. I mean hell.....if you simplify DG, thats actually exactly what those are.

When you decide to not be a childish clown and admit you were wrong about DG sounding the same, i'll start responding to you again. I'm not going to waste my time with someone is going to keep pretending he wasn't proven wrong. What I posted was, like I said, the equivalent to posting a rock song and a rap song. I mean hell.....if you simplify DG, thats actually exactly what those are.
I don't really think I've acted like a childish clown, but again opinions. I still think DG sound the same a lot. I probably haven't listened to Bottomless Pit enough to give it a full critique though and maybe I did so in haste. I think what you're saying about them going for of a more hmm lets say black metalish sheen is there but to me the core is still very much noise that is the same for them and nihilism. Of course, they are the same band so it's kind of a stupid thing to complain about in the first place. My original post was merely to point out I think there are records that are better than AMSP this year, and a lot of them. I just listed some pop ones cause I think we were talking about like pitchfork, tmt, fact mag, stereogum lists which will cover that stuff. I would assume Radiohead will get high on some of the lists.

I don't really wish to continue any serious back and forth argument about music, though. I don't really think of it as a sport so arguing over it can be stupid. I don't think we have very similar taste but we crossover in some ways, which is rare enough on sherdog so I have no beef.

I don't really think I've acted like a childish clown, but again opinions. I still think DG sound the same a lot. I probably haven't listened to Bottomless Pit enough to give it a full critique though and maybe I did so in haste. I think what you're saying about them going for of a more hmm lets say black metalish sheen is there but to me the core is still very much noise that is the same for them and nihilism. Of course, they are the same band so it's kind of a stupid thing to complain about in the first place. My original post was merely to point out I think there are records that are better than AMSP this year, and a lot of them. I just listed some pop ones cause I think we were talking about like pitchfork, tmt, fact mag, stereogum lists which will cover that stuff. I would assume Radiohead will get high on some of the lists.

I don't really wish to continue any serious back and forth argument about music, though. I don't really think of it as a sport so arguing over it can be stupid. I don't think we have very similar taste but we crossover in some ways, which is rare enough on sherdog so I have no beef.
Fair, but I just need to point out one last time that this escalated stuff was never about opinion. I left the opinions out of it when I dropped the Chance and Bon Iver discussion. You can't hide behind "music is subjective" when the sound is completely different. You said their last 3 albums sound the same, yet I posted songs that don't sound even close to similar from all 3. And their are factual reasons for that which i've stated, same way their would be for rap and rock music. Just want you to understand that.

Fair, but I just need to point out one last time that this escalated stuff was never about opinion. I left the opinions out of it when I dropped the Chance and Bon Iver discussion. You can't hide behind "music is subjective" when the sound is completely different. You said their last 3 albums sound the same, yet I posted songs that don't sound even close to similar from all 3. And their are factual reasons for that which i've stated, same way their would be for rap and rock music. Just want you to understand that.
I mean there is a difference between sounding the same and being about the same thing, no? And again I don't want this to get hostile I'm just explaining my perspective. Using a guitar or a synth (just as an example) to make music about strawberry ice cream may sonically be different but the feel isn't...at least not to me, and I think that is where subjectivity comes into play.

I mean there is a difference between sounding the same and being about the same thing, no? And again I don't want this to get hostile I'm just explaining my perspective. Using a guitar or a synth (just as an example) to make music about strawberry ice cream may sonically be different but the feel isn't...at least not to me, and I think that is where subjectivity comes into play.
OK well then now you are changing the entire subject. This was about sound the whole time, and now you're saying its about the feeling you get.

OK well then now you are changing the entire subject. This was about sound the whole time, and now you're saying its about the feeling you get.
I think it was a bit of a failure to communicate what I meant (i am not always good at that) and just typing a lot quickly, but yes I am shifting the goalposts as they say.

I'm not sure about greatest but I Love me some radiohead. Maybe best band in last 22 years?

Hope they tour 2017.

They're good. They've been writing the same song over and over again since HTTT though. The slow-build linear shit has got a bit old.

Back