Radical mma nyc

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
a friend of mine just moved to nyc and trains there. he said he went there cause it's the only no gi mma type grappling gym he could find but he's paying 200 a month. I think that's a bit much for a gym who isn't ran by a world champ of something . has anyone trained there? I WANa recommend my friend to the best gym he can.

I think they're the ones who did the bjj vids on Howcast. Not familiar with them tbh but they seem to know the techs they demo'd.

Rent in Manhattan is hovering on ridiculous. 10 thousand a month of commercial rent gets you almost nothing in mid town where this gym is located. Best case scenario I assume they got a great deal and are paying 5 thousand a month in rent so there is the explanation on the 200 hundred a month. advice if you have the big big big big time money buy a building in Manhattan and rent out space

Well has anyone trained here my friend said if u come in as a blue he makes you wear white belts

Well has anyone trained here my friend said if u come in as a blue he makes you wear white belts
This is true. Coach René's reasoning for this is that he believes Bjj schools in the USA run more like a business than a school, which leads the belt system to be watered down, like a McDojo.

He has a great system. The best instructor I ever had. Unfortunately for me I live in New Jersey.

Last edited:
This is true. Coach René's reasoning for this is that he believes Bjj schools in the USA run more like a business than a school, which leads the belt system to be watered down, like a McDojo.

He has a great system. The best instructor I ever had. Unfortunately for me I live in New Jersey.

Interdasting. How's his comp team?

What if y

What if you are a blue under a Gracie

cliffs: no one can teach bjj but me

That does sound like a great business model; if you demote them, now they have to buy an extra belt from you! Genius!

That does sound like a great business model; if you demote them, now they have to buy an extra belt from you! Genius!
The only way you're getting a new belt from him is hard work.

Lol I'm not a blue belt sorry but no random black belt would ever try to take away a black belt or rank from someone who got it from The son of Helios or Carlos lol I'd laugh in there face

There was this combat veteran that got his black belt from the Army, allegedly. He was a good friend of the instructor. I was submitting him as a white belt, and the instructor never demoted him out of respect.

I guess he's just hard on blue belts and purple belts.​

Well that's understandable a army bjj black belt is as legit as a Pink belt I opened up a academy few months back a few blues joined who are from a gym who hands blues out in 4 months I didn't take belts away but to get stripes they have to pass a test for blue and out in at least 50 class's per stripe

No one in the New York City area teaches no gi exclusively but him. Every other school seems to be stuck with training with the gi.

1st off, to be ranked in BJJ you need to train in the gi.
2nd off, unity/mg/renzos/alliance all train a lot of bjj and are much more respected than that fucking rene nobody

He would still probably make you a white belt. Let your ego go. He's a great instructor.

are you serious or seriously stupid???? A bjj instructor who has done NOTHING in the world of bjj demotes you to wb because he thinks everyone else cannot be possibly learning BJJ because they are not training under him---- And you have the fucking GALL to say for anyone else to put aside their ego.

How about this, have Rene point out a list of mcdojo bjj places in nyc, because he is one of the lowest regarded teachers in the fucking area.

$200 isn't that much, NYC is ridiculously expensive.

Most BJJ schools have no-gi classes, at Marcelo's there are 12 no-gi classes per week.

1st off, to be ranked in BJJ you need to train in the gi.
2nd off, unity/mg/renzos/alliance all train a lot of bjj and are much more respected than that fucking rene nobody

are you serious or seriously stupid???? A bjj instructor who has done NOTHING in the world of bjj demotes you to wb because he thinks everyone else cannot be possibly learning BJJ because they are not training under him---- And you have the fucking GALL to say for anyone else to put aside their ego.

How about this, have Rene point out a list of mcdojo bjj places in nyc, because he is one of the lowest regarded teachers in the fucking area.
He rolls with you first to see what level you're at. If you have a blue belt and he considers you to be a white belt under his analyzes, then he will demote you.

If what you said is true that you have to train with the gi to be ranked, then I guess it's his own ranking system, and you're still officially whatever rank you are in BJJ when he demotes you in his ranking system in his school.

What ranking system does Tenth Planet jiu jitsu uses? I asked that because they are exclusively nogi, and maybe Radical jiu jitsu follows their program.

There is a market for nogi Bjj and that's what he offers. There are people that don't want to train with the gi. However, they need a ranking system. If they can't rank themselves because they don't train with the gi, then it's completely understandable that they make their own ranking system.

IMO, you should worry more on actual skills, than what belt color you are, because I have seen blue belts and purple belts get embarrassed by white belts.

Last edited:
I have no idea about the politics of the ranking system at his school or at any school.

Just go there and ask René about it yourself.

I know Rene - he is an interesting dude and a good teacher and has legit jiu jitsu. Very organized and systematic in his approach. Has a very structured curriculum. He has put a lot of material out there for free so you can see if you

200 bucks might seem excessive but if you live and train in NYC you will realize that is basically the standard in Manhattan. In fact, most schools are a bit more expensive (and require a long commitment). They have a ton of room (the square footage per student is the highest I've seen in Manhattan), and also a weight room and showers. They are open 7 days a week, have daytime classes every day, and morning classes a few days. He also has striking classes. The handful of schools I've seen that are slightly cheaper (say 160 or 180 a month) have much more limited schedules and won't include the other amenities. I would also note that before you compare him to MG/Unity/TFC - he is offering a different product - he is a Jiu-Jitsu based MMA coach (and that is what he teaches), rather than a sport jiu jitsu instructor.

I don't know anything about the demotions. He has never asked me to wear any other color belt than the one I have.

Back