Racket sports and MMA

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by FozzyTime, Oct 28, 2017.

1. FozzyTime White Belt

FozzyTime
    So i love racket sports, mainly squash currently and tennis in the summer months.

Just played my first game of winter and my ass and quads are a mess

question is.......

No one seems to talk about racket sports in regards to improving fighting fitness

should i be worried about any negative gains towards my MMA training?

2. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Well there's not a lot of population crossover, and generally one wouldn't use it as a conditioning method because it's hard to quantify, except in the vague sense of general activity. But roughly speaking racquet sports are aerobic/alactic, with repeat bursts, so some carryover is possible.

FozzyTime likes this.
  3. Bloodhy Blue Belt

Bloodhy
    It can have a negative effect on your MMA training because there is a maximum amount of training you can recover from in a given week. If your main goal is to enter the cage, the time spent on racket sports is time taken away from MMA training, or recovery from it. If your MMA training includes 3 hours of cardio per week, you must realize that you choose to spend those 3 hours on racket sports. Is running better cardio for MMA? Who knows... On the one hand, running has been a staple in the training regimen of most combat sport legends, but on the other hand, if racket sports work for you, give 'er.

FozzyTime likes this.
  4. Ilk Orange Belt

Ilk
    I have played some Tennis and it is a great cardio work out. It consist of a lot of sprints and there is a lot of core work. I would advice on keeping it on no matter the goals as if you enjoy playing tennis for example your cardio work out would be way more enjoyable than doing sprints, other types of cardio or core work.

FozzyTime likes this.