R2C C17, can't make a fist

paras

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with making a proper fist and hitting with the knuckles in my current gloves, a pair of Ring to Cage C17 14 oz. When I make a fist with them the part that sticks out the most is the finger area and not the knuckle area. I can't really get the knuckles to hit first, they are too far back in the gloves closer to the cuff if that makes sense. I have to bend the wrists down way too much to make the knuckles the part that impacts, instead of the fingers.

Do you think this is because the gloves simply don't fit me right (too small? My fingers dig into the front) or is it related to the style of the glove? The only ones I have to compare with are the worn down gloves from the club so I can't really tell. I'm looking to get a a pair of Cleto Reyes (16 oz velcro) and I'm a bit wary whether they will have the same problem.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Save money and get some Fairtex BGV9's if you want mexican style gloves. Cleto's are not great gloves if you're a beginner as the break in time can be pretty long.

I get the same problem as you with a lot of brands of gloves. They don't fit you right and it's pretty difficult to tell before purchasing a glove whether or not that problem will occur. I had that same problem with Cleto Reyes but not as pronounced, and more strongly pronounced with Fairtex BGV9s and other Thai brands. I'd get some custom boxing gloves if I were you and ask specifically for deeper finger pockets, and talk about the problem with the manufacturer, maybe sending them your hand measurements along the way to be safe.

I have the same problem with a lot of gloves. So far, the one that fits me right are:

Fairtex F-Day 16oz
Fairtex BGV9 14 oz
Everlast Protex3 16oz
Triumph Unites Death Adders 16oz
Triumph United Death Stars 16oz
Rival RB10
Rival Rs1 And RS2V
Hayabusa Regenesis 14 and 16oz

I love Twins gloves, but they are a bit just too short. Still usable, but I am not landing perfectly on the knuckles like the ones mentioned above.

Hope it helps.

No one can make a proper fist in c17's but I still love them for sparring because theyre so pillowy soft that you can hit people with decent speed and pop and not hurt them.

I had this problem with twins and it ends up hurting my hands and wrists.

Eventually, I got Sabas 16oz and they're amazing.

I get the same problem as you with a lot of brands of gloves. They don't fit you right and it's pretty difficult to tell before purchasing a glove whether or not that problem will occur. I had that same problem with Cleto Reyes but not as pronounced, and more strongly pronounced with Fairtex BGV9s and other Thai brands. I'd get some custom boxing gloves if I were you and ask specifically for deeper finger pockets, and talk about the problem with the manufacturer, maybe sending them your hand measurements along the way to be safe.
Did you have the 16 oz Cleto Reyes or lighter? Might have to look into custom ones.

Proseries or Supersoft? I've looked at Sabas, and I might get them instead of a pair of Reyes. Only drawback is that with shipping and duty they approach the same price range as Reyes.

Did you have the 16 oz Cleto Reyes or lighter? Might have to look into custom ones.

Proseries or Supersoft? I've looked at Sabas, and I might get them instead of a pair of Reyes. Only drawback is that with shipping and duty they approach the same price range as Reyes.
I had 16oz

Twins have very little wrist support as most Thai gloves. Thai gloves require little to no wrist support to allow for proper movement in the clinch, as Thai is far less about punching and far more about elbows, kicks and knees Thai punchers uses fists as more of a distraction to set up their power shots.

I got the ProSeries 16oz hook n loops. White and Black, super comfortable, cost 104.99 at the time, shipping was about 20 bucks. Came FAST, and had little to no break in time.

I've thought about buying Cletos, but the Sabas feel like leather gloves now - I don't even need handwraps. I don't want to start over again.

I got the ProSeries 16oz hook n loops. White and Black, super comfortable, cost 104.99 at the time, shipping was about 20 bucks. Came FAST, and had little to no break in time.

I've thought about buying Cletos, but the Sabas feel like leather gloves now - I don't even need handwraps. I don't want to start over again.
How long have you been using the Sabas? And how frequently?

My experience with the Sabas triple cuff gloves is that they don't last very long (mine started showing signs of breaking down as early as three months in; by eight months there were literal holes in the liner and padding). They were probably the shortest lived mid-range gloves I've owned. I think the downside to the immediate 'broken in' feel is that they don't have as much life.

I've been using Cletos a lot lately and after the break-in process (which, admittedly, is a giant pain in the ass), they feel great and look to last a while.

Edit: On the other hand, the Sabas TCs were probably the easiest gloves to make a fist in.

Also, addressing the OP, when punching in a glove, you should not be aiming to hit with the part that protrudes most (i.e., where your finger knuckles are), but where your main knuckles are, which are more towards the back hand area of the glove. It also helps to slightly curl your fist slightly inward so that you land first with the main index and middle knuckles. At least for me, punching this way has meant fewer hand injuries and more effective punches while sparring.

I share this again:

How long have you been using the Sabas? And how frequently?

My experience with the Sabas triple cuff gloves is that they don't last very long (mine started showing signs of breaking down as early as three months in; by eight months there were literal holes in the liner and padding). They were probably the shortest lived mid-range gloves I've owned. I think the downside to the immediate 'broken in' feel is that they don't have as much life.

I've been using Cletos a lot lately and after the break-in process (which, admittedly, is a giant pain in the ass), they feel great and look to last a while.

Edit: On the other hand, the Sabas TCs were probably the easiest gloves to make a fist in.

I've had mine about 3 months and while there are markings on the leather of the glove ( as I'm using them with different heavy bags and thai pads - some more beat up than others ) the gloves are holding together nicely. Hopefully they stay together a the 8th month and beyond.

I go to the gym about 3 - 5 times a week for about 1 - 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back