R.i.P Hector "Macho" Camacho

At the time a significant upset was Greg Haugen beatting undefeated Camacho for the WBO Light Welterweight title.
that was an upset but the 90 version of macho wasn't the 82 version of macho. It was all bound to catch up to him sooner or later, he had a couple close decisions before that (Roque Montoya,Irleis Perez,Rosario) and it didn't seem to faze him that much in terms of focussing more. He was a prideful man though, the main image from the second haugen fight that sticks in my mind is the one of him leaving the ring before the decision was announced because he assumed he lost. Haugen was a good fighter though, the kind of fighter that could give a talented guy like Hector hell on a good night. Pazienza said something that has a lot of truth to it "he fought his last good fight against me". Even though he wasn't trying to hurt Paz, he didn't just run, landed lots of shots and to me, most impressively, kept his composure throughout with a guy determined to make him lose his cool. With Haugen he didn't have that same focus.

Fuck. Didn't want to read this. Rip

YEAH I know but he shouldn't be forgotten.

At the time a significant upset was Greg Haugen beatting undefeated Camacho for the WBO Light Welterweight title.
That lucky bastard didn't want to touch gloves just to piss him off, it worked and he won the fight because of it. What a shite way to win a fight. 1 point ha

above i mentioned the roque montoya fight as the one where macho got a gift decision, i was wrong. It was the reyes cruz fight, i just watched both, there is a 3 year difference and camacho doesn't look nearly the same, the fluid moves and effortless defense aren't there in the cruz fight. He also picked up his first knock down.

Sort of off topic, but I always liked Greg Haugen and loved that he upset Camacho.

Haugen was a good fighter, knew his craft, i loved his interviews post-death on Macho. He spoke with a mix of his old brashness (recalling how he'd say "I'm not touching that :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s glove") and also how he must have had some respect for Macho because he showed up at his gym to try to talk him out of a comeback by telling him "you're too good for this". I liked him after I listened to the interview. He's a local guy, I hear he trains kids out south of Seattle now.

it wiped me out, for months, he was that important to me. I did however get to correspond with him a few times on facebook and I'm grateful for that. I told him I wanted to meet him, kinda ridiculous a grown man wanting to meet his hero but i always hoped to. I feel like the scale and the breadth of his raw talent has been forgotten about and overlooked, maybe someday that'll be corrected. He was one of the most gifted fighters ever.
No shit....so he at least responded to you!? That is awesome. I friggn wish, also you should have no shame that you wanted to meet your hero. Shit I would've asked him for a hug no homo Lulz

Haugen was a good fighter, knew his craft, i loved his interviews post-death on Macho. He spoke with a mix of his old brashness (recalling how he'd say "I'm not touching that :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s glove") and also how he must have had some respect for Macho because he showed up at his gym to try to talk him out of a comeback by telling him "you're too good for this". I liked him after I listened to the interview. He's a local guy, I hear he trains kids out south of Seattle now.
I hated Haugen for that, however i am glad to hear hes a nice guy.

Sort of off topic, but I always liked Greg Haugen and loved that he upset Camacho.
That royally pissed off alot of people and made alot happy too lol.

I was a big fan. I am so old I listened to Schmeling vs Louis live on radio.

Back