QUINTET - Sakuraba's New Grappling League

May be a stupid question, but how do you ban closed guard? Do they mean jumping into guard being banned?

May be a stupid question, but how do you ban closed guard? Do they mean jumping into guard being banned?

yeah, I'm guessing it's either a; no pulling guard, or b; no using guard to stall. I guess they think there is little to be achieved from closing our feet up in guard beyond holding tight? Not allowing them to lock feet up & close means they always have to moving for a sweep or a sub, I guess?

I don't follow grappling so... why Uno? AFAIK he isn't that accomplished in pure grappling?
i don't remember exactly how much he was involved, but i think uno was also heavily involved in setting up the Condenders grappling series which was a gift to humanity.

ZST had a no closed guard rule as well. i'm assuming in this case it also means that you can't lock your feet up with your guard and have to keep it open to discourage stalling.

That sambo teams gonna get their asses kicked

Too bad Saku couldn’t get Fedor in on this

This looks amazing. I am so in.

They just held a press conference

What we know so far
- Teams will consist of 5 members whose combined weight can not exceed 430kg

- 1v1 matches, the winning grappler continues on, the team with the last man standing wins.

- matches will be 10 minutes long unless there is more than 20kg difference between competitors, in which case it's a 5 minute match

- submission only, time limit draw eliminates both grapplers.

- if a winner is not decided after both teams have exhausted their competitors then extension matches will happen until a winner is decided

- Rules are still being adjusted but for now heel hooks and closed guard are banned. Sakuraba says the heel hook ban is due to the high chance of injury with the holds, an injury would kill the team aspect

- competitors must wear a rash guard

- first event on April 11th at the Ryogoku Kokugikan. Will air through AbemaTV

The teams so far

JAN1P9A.jpg

Hideo Tokoro - everyone's favorite janitor. Fits in with the underlying catch/shoot influences of the team, being heavily inspired by Volk Han

Marcos de Souza - current Welterweight champ of REAL FC, and accomplished competitor from a BJJ and judo family. His grappling lineage traces back to Mitsuyo Maeda.

Kazushi Sakuraba - hopefully no introduction is needed, this is his project

Josh Barnett - Former UFC Heavyweight champion, arguably the current face of catch wrestling in the west

Daisuke Nakamura - former DEEP Lightweight champion. Known for his wrestling boots and sideburns.

DWtE1ZbU8AAHqZo

Dan Strauss - Roger Gracie black belt

Craig Jones - 2x ADCC trials champion and IBJJF world no-gi world champ (purple belt). Holds wins over Leandro Lo and Chael Sonnen.

Gregor Gracie - black belt under Renzo and took 3rd at the 2009 ADCC Worlds

Charles Negromonte - won numerous European BJJ tournaments and took 3rd at the 2011 IBJJF Worlds (brown belt). One of the head coaches at Roger Gracie's gym

Caol Uno - a pioneer of MMA, he still grapples occasionally, winning the ZST tag tournament a few years ago

3mr3thA.jpg

Marius Zaromskis - DREAM Welterweight GP champ

Mykyta Mikhno

Teodoras Aukstuolis - RIZIN World Grand Prix 2015 semifinalist, Lithuanian combat sambo champion, 2017 World combat sambo runner-up (100kg)

Mindaugas Verzbickas - European combat Sambo champion

Sergej Grecicho - 3x sambo World champion

JGPxGGW.jpg

Bu Kyung Jung - got thrown into the deep end in MMA immediately but was competitive despite losing every fight. Olympic silver medalist in judo

Satoshi Ishii - Olympic gold medalist in judo

Dong Sik Yoon - World bronze medalist in judo

Great....

A lil bit weird, Caol in the Polaris team...

Sakuraba-produced grappling show Quintet finally delivers its first event in Tokyo today.

In this event, all 4 teams (each consists of 5 fighters) enter semi-finals in a tournament where the winners of semi-finals meet in the finals on the same day.

5 versus 5 is a conventional format of Judo competition (fighting order is preset). Josh Barnett (5th player) belongs to the same team as Sakuraba and Tokoro and he will fight Satoshi Ishii (5th player of another team that includes Omigawa and Yoon Dong-Sik) in the last match of semi-finals.

ph20180410_14.jpg

Ishii is a 2008 Olympic Judo Gold medalist who, according to himself, pretty much dominated Fabricio Werdum in Jiu-Jitsu spar. Barnett's experience in NO-Gi should be able to find a few openings of the Olympian but I don't really see a submission ending for this bout.

(Whispering to myself).....Where is Kron?

Looks like something cool. I don't see sakuraba.

I just can't watch submission grappling. I find it so boring.

Sakuraba-produced grappling show Quintet finally delivers its first event in Tokyo today.

In this event, all 4 teams (each consists of 5 fighters) enter semi-finals in a tournament where the winners of semi-finals meet in the finals on the same day.

5 versus 5 is a conventional format of Judo competition (fighting order is preset). Josh Barnett (5th player) belongs to the same team as Sakuraba and Tokoro and he will fight Satoshi Ishii (5th player of another team that includes Omigawa and Yoon Dong-Sik) in the last match of semi-finals.

ph20180410_14.jpg

Ishii is a 2008 Olympic Judo Gold medalist who, according to himself, pretty much dominated Fabricio Werdum in Jiu-Jitsu spar. Barnett's experience in NO-Gi should be able to find a few openings of the Olympian but I don't really see a submission ending for this bout.

(Whispering to myself).....Where is Kron?

Gotta say Judo team's pretty loaded.

On the other hand, Sambo.....

Gotta say Judo team's pretty loaded.

On the other hand, Sambo.....

I feel like I have to pick Barnett to beat basically everyone, he's so big, and so skilled and has such an unorthodox style. He may clinch it for Saku's team.

Cool thing. Finally something fresh stuff. Judo, sambo, BJJ, catch wrestling together.

When does the first match start?

I love this event. Most interesting thing I've seen in awhile. Though I wish they hadn't banned heel hooks. Though I can see why.

Only caught the final, then went back and watched some.of the rest.

Tokoro had a roller coaster of a night to say the least.
submitted olympic silver medallist in 14 seconds via flying armbar, choked out cold by Dongbar 2 minutes later. Choked out cold AGAIN in the finals.

Back