Quick Trivia: What Was The 3rd Rule In The UFC?

Funny that this thread has been going but people haven't noticed that the question was answered by @Clementine in the very first response and that the correct answer is groin strikes and not fish hooking. I'm pretty sure fish hooking wasn't officially on the banned list until UFC 12. That was around the time that the UFC started slowly but surely transforming the sport, first with no fish hooking, then making gloves mandatory, then eliminating headbutts, etc. But at UFC 1, they only specified no biting, no eye gouging, and no groin strikes...even though there were plenty of groin strikes and even though Gerard Gordeau bit Royce Gracie :D

There is a ton of misinformation regarding UFC 1.

There were rounds and groin strikes were illegal. Wasn't changed until UFC 2.

Also referees were unable to stop fights until John McCarthy bitched at them. Rumour is it was because Patrick Smith and Scott Morris fight.

(Robert Bussey's warrior International, represent!)
You are right about ufc 1. Which makes the initial question tricky.

Funny that this thread has been going but people haven't noticed that the question was answered by @Clementine in the very first response and that the correct answer is groin strikes and not fish hooking. I'm pretty sure fish hooking wasn't officially on the banned list until UFC 12. That was around the time that the UFC started slowly but surely transforming the sport, first with no fish hooking, then making gloves mandatory, then eliminating headbutts, etc. But at UFC 1, they only specified no biting, no eye gouging, and no groin strikes...even though there were plenty of groin strikes and even though Gerard Gordeau bit Royce Gracie :D
@rj144 check your girl out winning the competition :cool:

There is a ton of misinformation regarding UFC 1.

There were rounds and groin strikes were illegal. Wasn't changed until UFC 2.

Also referees were unable to stop fights until John McCarthy bitched at them. Rumour is it was because Patrick Smith and Scott Morris fight.

(Robert Bussey's warrior International, represent!)

I was in rbwi in the 80s

Since we're talking about old school UFC, I've also always been amused by Dan Severn's last-ditch desperation nut shot before tapping to Ken Shamrock at UFC 6. Severn was stuck in that guillotine and he knew it, but his one last chance to escape was to punch Shamrock in the balls...except that Ken was one of the savviest old school competitors, and he always wore a steel Muay Thai cup. Talk about adding insult to injury for poor Dan :oops:

giphy.gif

3. Dana is always right

I'm not sure Dana was even teaching boxercise yet by 1993 ;)

Yea, someone got it. No biting, no eye gouging, and no fish hooking. I haven’t watched those real early UFC’s in a while but it seems like that was from UFC 3 on.

Groin strikes were actually banned for UFC 1 I believe, then allowed from UFC 2 until the Hackney fight I think, but yes you're right on the fish hooking I think.

Back