Questions regarding the cross

Funny thing regarding the cross. I am retraining its technique again and again I am experiencing problems. Here are key points for a good cross that I have learned from a good coach.

1. Stance which was individually crafted for me - squared a bit, legs in a shoulder length.
2. There is no exaggerated hip rotation. The hips rotate but you feel it mostly when you turn to a guard position. The coach actually calls it kicking. The whole strength comes from the rear foot. Kick he says when he wants me to trow a straight right. So basically that rear foot rotates you, not the hips.
3. The hand and the back are very relaxed. You squeeze at the end of the hit when you are also rotating your hand in order to snap punch and not push.

@rmongler that is a classic side step and cross and even McGregor is not pulling a very good technique into it. He rotates too much, which leans him. Yes it is easy when you watch :D but that is god damn hard technique to pull off. The power came that McGregor has a proper boxing straight and his mini jump with both legs, but especially the rear leg, not his rotation. And the fact that Aldo runs forward of course.

Pushing off with your legs is what rotating with the hips is.

Elsewise, you're rotating your spine with your back while your hips are immobile, which is not good for your future prospects.

R U saying the power comes from pushing off with that back leg?
That's the way I've always understood the power mechanics for punches and throws and in some capacity kicks.

Yes and no. According to me and experience with different styles and coaches this is the right technique to use.
No because a good boxing coach will teach you a good stance and a straight right that is quick and gets you back defending as fast as possible, rather than doing a hard shot.
Yes because in this way you do not rotate too much and expose yourself to attack. Look carefully at the Aldo vs McGregor gif. Even though McGregor dies a good side step and cross, he rotates too much and eats the left hook of a knocked out Aldo, because his cross makes him lean due to over extended hip rotation.
Pushing off with your legs is what rotating with the hips is.

Elsewise, you're rotating your spine with your back while your hips are immobile, which is not good for your future prospects.

I am not sure if I understand you well. Sorry English is not my first language.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I understand you well. Sorry English is not my first language.

I have a feeling we are probably in vehement agreement.

Last edited:
Back