Questions on Cleto Reyes

Marbig

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a pair of 16oz Cletos (Mexican version) for training and was wondering how long they will last?

I ask because I'm using Top King (thai brand) Air gloves right now and its meant to be handmade and top quality. That being said, its only been a year and a half and I already need to replace them (though, to be fair, I do train 6 hours a week so its like 450+ hours total). Seeing that Top King only costed me $75 and CR is double the price, can I expect at least 3-4 years in terms of durability?

On another note, my hand is kinda small and I heard the hand compartment for CRs are pretty wide? Can anyone confirm this to be the truth?

Cheers!

P.S. I've sent mexicanfightgear on ebay a message and its apparently $120 a pop for "standard colours" from them. I've got no idea how much it costs to get them to Australia though...does anyone who has ordered from them know? Also, what is the difference from "standard" and "special" colours?

P.P.S Here's a picture of the gloves I'm looking for:
51jHU5wQHuL._AA300_.jpg

The 16oz is definitely very wide imo. There is a pretty big difference between their 14oz and 16oz in that regard. I have thinner, longer hands and felt there was way too much space in terms of width inside 16oz Cletos using 180 wraps and knuckle guards. Could be different for you, I dont know.

It does have wide hand compartment, but it's something you'll get used to, just go a little more around the knuckle, or get a knuckle guard.

As far as survivability and durability, there's no other glove that can compare, not grant, not winning. Cleto Reyes gloves are hand made, hand stitched, strict quality control and genuine 100% cowhide leather.

I've had my Reyes for about a year, I've not had a single problem with them, but the thumb placement, it makes you punch a little different, if you don't, you might damage your wrist.

I have no problem saying the minimum Reyes gloves last is about 3-5 years. And that's the absolute minimum.

Here's a pic of my year old white Cletos that I use for sparring. SkribbLe is absolutely right about the knuckle guard, it really makes the fit different and significantly better. I have fairly small hands, and while the pocket is fairly large, it hasn't been a problem at all. Granted, this is all considering that you properly wrap your hands.
qBM1u.jpg
They were ordered from lockwoods boxing in the US. I think Blair Dennett orders from lockwoods, and I believe he is from Australia as well, so shipping costs shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Reyes are a great quality glove, and at 6 hours per week I'll think they'll last past the 5 year mark meaning they are tremendous value. Perhaps consider the 14oz extra padded version, I can post pics if needed. They have the smaller profile and hand compartment of the 14s, but with extra padding across the knuckles which actually makes them better for sparring than the 16s, in my opinion.

I can also vouch for Mike from Lockwood's boxing. Good guy and VERY fast shipping.

I've been thinking of getting a pair of 16oz Cletos (Mexican version) for training and was wondering how long they will last?

Years and years. They are probably the most durable gloves you can buy.

can I expect at least 3-4 years in terms of durability?

Yes.

On another note, my hand is kinda small and I heard the hand compartment for CRs are pretty wide? Can anyone confirm this to be the truth?

I don't personally find them to be too wide. I have read people who say they are too wide but many of them also don't wear handwraps at all.

Most people I know who have used the 16oz say they are a good fit.

P.S. I've sent mexicanfightgear on ebay a message and its apparently $120 a pop for "standard colours" from them. I've got no idea how much it costs to get them to Australia though...does anyone who has ordered from them know?

About $35-$40 US via USPS from Mexicanfightgear for a single pair of gloves.

Also, what is the difference from "standard" and "special" colours?

Standard colours are black and red. Special colours are white, yellow, blue and occasionally limited edition colours like orange or green (which are only produced in limited runs and usually for retailers like lockwoodsboxing).

You can probably find more info in my review here (mexicanfightgear)
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/cleto-reyes-glove-roundup-mexicanfightgear-1651409/

Or here (Lockwoodsboxing):
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/cleto-reyes-16oz-velcro-training-gloves-w-pics-narrative-2087341/

Last edited:
I want green Cleto's to bad the price is something I cannot afford at the moment.

I got Green 16oz Cleto's with the velcro strap from Lockwood's. Had them for over a year and a half and they are still looking brand new. I think people make over exaggerate the width of the gloves. They are not enormously wide and I love the build quality of the gloves. Their stitching is second to none.

Where can I find Cleto Reyes gloves with two colors in the US? Like these ...Cleto-Reyes-Special-Edition-Hybrid_01.jpg

Those are cletos? I have not seen that color combo before.

Green is easy to get if you live in México haha

I have not had a pair of cletos in a while is the padding on the top of the wrist látex or cotton?

Those are special edition Reyes hybrids exclusive to Mexico currently. You can also get them with the colours reversed - yellow backhand, black palm etc.

The picture posted is one I took and the gloves are mine.

Given the thread's title, I was wondering whether I might ask a question for you all: do the Reyes hand compartment get more comfortable for people with longer fingers? I am in the process of breaking in a pair, but the finger compartment is so short. Is there hope for me yet?

Those are cletos? I have not seen that color combo before.

Green is easy to get if you live in México haha

Green is easy! The two color cleto reyes is difficult to find even with google images :)

CDBM
Black /Yellow palm are beautiful, but Yellow /Black palm are fantastique, sensazionale, etc. <cheer>

Given the thread's title, I was wondering whether I might ask a question for you all: do the Reyes hand compartment get more comfortable for people with longer fingers? I am in the process of breaking in a pair, but the finger compartment is so short. Is there hope for me yet?

don't fell sad, the world has small hands and fingers or they love snuggly hand compartment... hahah

Venum Elite has a good hand compartment for people with longer fingers, but it is not so durable for heavy hitters (5-6 months).

don't fell sad, the world has small hands and fingers or they love snuggly hand compartment... hahah

Venum Elite has a good hand compartment for people with longer fingers, but it is not so durable for heavy hitters (5-6 months).
Haha, thanks. So should I give up trying to break in my Reyes?

I can't find gloves that fit well and last for a while!

Haha, thanks. So should I give up trying to break in my Reyes?

I can't find gloves that fit well and last for a while!

" I don't have a bad word to say against Cleto Reyes gloves. Supreme leather quality and performance with a good fit (I too have long fingers). The hybrids just snag it for me due to the thumb placing feeling more natural in my opinion.

CDBM, Oct 24, 2015 "

Back