Questions about Australia??? Tell me about Australia?

I've been to Auckland. More than once. Had no idea there were beaches.
Srs? Have you ventured outside of the city center? Next time you're here head out west/north or to waiheke for world class beaches.

Every top 10 of things that can kill you the worst are comprised of things that originate in Australia.

Fuck that.

Srs? Have you ventured outside of the city center? Next time you're here head out west/north or to waiheke for world class beaches.

Hmm. I doubt I'll be back. But if I do I will check them out. I did see some great beaches in N.Z. Just dont remember going to any close to Auckland.

Beautiful country. I never made it to Perth but I went from the center (Alice Springs) down to Adelaide then from Sydney up to Cairns. The desert is cool, it's beautiful in a vast, enormous kind of way and it's cool to stay in like little mining towns and shit for a night and sleep in swags on the ground in the middle of nowhere. The stars when your out in the outback are pretty unreal too. Lots of chill beach towns along the coast and great diving spots as you go along up the coast and get into the heart of the Great Barrier Reef.

Food ain't great, nobody goes there for the food but kangaroo meat is tasty and cheap.I ate that almost every day. Sydney is a great city. The harbor is super nice and take a walk along Bondi to Coogee beach if you want to see hot chicks. I thought the people were very friendly, I never once had a problem with rude locals or anything

Just make sure you go with a lot of cash, that country is expensive as fuck. Best way to do it if you can is get a work-holiday visa and work there for awhile and then travel, that's what I did.

Obligatory Australia touristy pic I have.
13716_1019531764732429_1563715944617643813_n.jpg

Last edited:
In Perth right now, leaving in a couple of days. TS you can ignore 95% of the replies in this thread, they're not exactly clued in to how things actually are.

People are friendly, don't know how anyone could say otherwise unless you're one of those super loud, obnoxious Americans who repels everyone but doesn't realize it. Criticisms of racism are ridiculously overblown, say or do anything discriminatory in public and you'll be all over Facebook getting denounced by the whole country before the end of the day. Beaches are fantastic, lifestyle is chill. Fairly sleepy place, but not as bad as it used to be. Economy isn't the best right now due to a collapse in commodity prices but average salaries are quite high, although cost of living is similarly expensive. Women are ok, like most of the western world obesity is a bit of an issue and the sun is ferocious as fuck and thats not exactly good for the skin. Food is pretty awesome, lots of locally sources meat and produce, with good Vietnamese/Chinese/Italian/Greek stuff as well.

Opinions will depend on the sort of lifestyle you want, if you want big city living to hang out in hipster art galleries and endless shopping this place isn't the best, if you like nature, fishing, boating, beaches and general outdoor activity and chilling then it's one of the best places in the world. Perth is a mainstay on any "best cities in the world to live" list for a reason.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see "lazy" mentioned a few times and that stores close early. Even in the city? Like how early?

That part would take some getting used to.

I'm surprised to see "lazy" mentioned a few times and that stores close early. Even in the city? Like how early?

That part would take some getting used to.

Depends on the store, but roughly 7pm in the city, 5.30-6pm in the suburbs, trading until 8 or 9pm on Thursdays.

I don't think people are necessarily lazy, but there's more of a culture of work when you're working, then leave when office hours are over. In Asia many folks stay at the office for long hours and think they're working powerhouses, but in reality their productivity is extremely low. I do think people in Perth (and Australia generally) are extremely complacent though, they have this assumption that everything is pretty good and it's just naturally going to stay that way.

I live about 2 hours south of Perth and it is fucking awesome.

I have lived in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. All capitals have their pro's and cons.

Western Australia has great beaches, great wine and beer, awesome fishing and hot babes.

Things are more expensive due to geography.

Australia is Western California, but like 15 years behind in terms of fashion and appearance, and a bit primitive in mannerisms. People in OZ look like sitcom characters from a CSI-Miami episode circa 2006 . Their behavior is a result of their isolation, and this is magnified in Perth as it is all by itself. I would describe Perth as Bakersfield meets Huntington Beach.

I like Sydney because the lifestyle is very similar to LA if you like to surf; we have much better ski resorts, otherwise similar cultures, but the hot dry weather in Perth is more familiar to a SOCAL native. Aussie women are outside of Melbourne/Sydney very trailer trash looking.

I've lived in Country NSW ( a few different towns) for 25 years, Sydney for a short period of time (6months), Perth for 2 years and Adelaide for 14 years.
Everywhere was completely different.
NSW country over friendly very little problem with crime (this was 15 years ago they have now mostly thanks to ice)

Sydney sucked mostly due to traffic. Was playing some rugby and working there to see if I could make it in the big smoke (that's what is country people called Sydney. I didn't make it above a certain level in Rugby and got home sick. Very multicultural, unfortunately including some that don't try to mix and segregate themselves.

Perth (2001-2002) was overly friendly, very relaxed, clean, well organised city. No Sunday trading which is unique as far as a city goes in Aus. (May have changed now) A lot of people in Perth are from other states in Australia or other countries (had a large mining industry back then). As a result few had family so made friends very easily. Lived with 5km of 3 different beaches. Was really great.

Adelaide gets a bad wrap in Australia. We are seen as backward. Great city, no traffic jams, mostly good weather, good beaches (limited waves in the city areas), affordable housing. Adelaide is good to choose your own lifestyle. Cafes, beaches, hiking, wineries, sport, some of the best festivals. It has the feel of country town but with the city amenities.
The point is everywhere is completely different. Some places you'll love, others you'll hate more than Pacifikan hates anything Australian.
I'm 40 & still haven't been killed by a spider, snake, shark, red kangaroo or drop bear yet. (Although I did get bitten by a white tail spider on the leg once, was not pretty, but I'm still alive)

All I know if Australia has got some babes!

TS, the most jarring thing about AUS by far was everything closing so early.....

like in america, after you got off of work, you can go hang at starbucks, ice cream shop, grocery store, mall, whatever, but in AUS, after like 5pm, the whole fucken city shuts down.... think about that for a second.... total buzzkill

TS, the most jarring thing about AUS by far was everything closing so early.....

like in america, after you got off of work, you can go hang at starbucks, ice cream shop, grocery store, mall, whatever, but in AUS, after like 5pm, the whole fucken city shuts down.... think about that for a second.... total buzzkill

If hanging out at a mall is the cornerstone of your social activity and you're over 16 years of age you may want to re-evaluate some aspects of your life though. Its not like there isn't pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants available.

Is it difficult to get a visa there? I mean, ETA. I have found a service which allows people to get it on https://etaaustraliaonline.com and it looks pretty straightforward. But maybe there are some things I need to pay my attention to while applying? I would appreciate some tips on it, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Defining culture in australia is laziness, casual racism and getting black out drunk by mid day. The food is rubbish and the women are ugly, their skin is orange and none of them have eye brows for some strange fucked up reason. The beaches are crowded, full of sharp rocks, irukandji and it's ice cold. Perth is downright apocalyptic, avoid at all costs.

In other words, australia sucks
You’ve obviously never been to Bunnings for lunch

I'll be blunt, america is much better than australia.

I mean the nature there is amazing, but people are rude and unfriendly, and this coming from someone that lives in LA, where there's not shortage of the rude and unfriendly!

I do agree with pacifikan, didnt know people were that lazy till I went to australia... everything closes early, and the consumerism there is very low, it's kind of odd.

it's an ok place to visit sure. I might even do again one day, but extremely low priority.
I have been coast to coast in both,and for my money,i'd take Australia everytime,america was wank,and I found the aussies far friendlier.......the only good thing I can say about murica,is that its attached to Canada.

You people talk about being a lazy alcoholic like it's a bad thing, smh

Back