Question regarding The Anaerobic Glycolytic system?

Nedrin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've tried understanding it by reading all kinds of articles/MMA Conditioning, but I'm kind of at a loss.

So blood sugar gets converted to Pyruvate which is then converted to lactate (which can be converted back to Pyruvate).

This system kickstarts when the energy production of the Aerobic system no longer provides enough energy for the given exercise.

What I don't really understand, is it the lactate that gets used as energy as in lactate gets converted to ATP?

So am I correct in understanding that we fatigue when lactate gets accumulated in the working muscle and it can no longer be transported away to be used by the Aerobic energy system?

I know this question is kind of all over the place but I find it hard to describe something that I don't understand. I hope the terms give some kind of indication of what I know which could be helpful in answering the question.

Thanks!

It is not the lactate itself, but the change in pH (becomes more acidic) when the work intensity becomes too high for oxygen to be used by the muscle cells. The causes are from a build-up of H+ which causes an inhibition of certain enzymes needed to re-phosphorylate ADP into ATP. ADP and AMP also inhibit PFK, which is needed to break glycogen and glucose into pyruvate or lactate.

Temperature and pH also both change enzyme capabilities.

Lactate can be shuttled into the liver to be converted into a different energy substrate. Look up the Lactate-shuttle.

I've tried understanding it by reading all kinds of articles/MMA Conditioning, but I'm kind of at a loss.

So blood sugar gets converted to Pyruvate which is then converted to lactate (which can be converted back to Pyruvate).

This system kickstarts when the energy production of the Aerobic system no longer provides enough energy for the given exercise.

What I don't really understand, is it the lactate that gets used as energy as in lactate gets converted to ATP?

So am I correct in understanding that we fatigue when lactate gets accumulated in the working muscle and it can no longer be transported away to be used by the Aerobic energy system?

I know this question is kind of all over the place but I find it hard to describe something that I don't understand. I hope the terms give some kind of indication of what I know which could be helpful in answering the question.

Thanks!
re your sig, i would bite the balls or pussy in a triangle. check mate bish.

I have nothing to contribute except for the fact I just survive 2 months of Cross Fit with out getting any injuries.

Medical-Humour-300x300.png

Thanks!
Lactate doesn't get converted into ATP. The conversion of Pyruvate into Lactate releases NAD+.

Without NAD+ glycolysis would stop.

Lactate isn't involved in Aerobic respiration.

Low pH from lactic acid build up inhibits phosphofructokinase which stops glycolysis.

It is not the lactate itself, but the change in pH (becomes more acidic) when the work intensity becomes too high for oxygen to be used by the muscle cells. The causes are from a build-up of H+ which causes an inhibition of certain enzymes needed to re-phosphorylate ADP into ATP. ADP and AMP also inhibit PFK, which is needed to break glycogen and glucose into pyruvate or lactate.

Temperature and pH also both change enzyme capabilities.

Lactate can be shuttled into the liver to be converted into a different energy substrate. Look up the Lactate-shuttle.
PFK transfers a phosphate from F-6-P to make F-1,6-BP and ATP was used for this. F-1,6-BP to Phosphoenolpyruvate produces ATP, if that's what you meant.

Low energy (ADP/AMP) stimulate PFK. High levels of ATP inhibit PFK so that glycolysis will be inhibited and gluconeogensis will occur.

I think everything I've said is right...my biochem is a little rusty.

2qstkde.jpg

@Midnighter

Actually, I am almost sure that you are right and I have gotten that backwards, but fortunately for me, that gives me something to review. So a win for both of us.

@Midnighter

Actually, I am almost sure that you are right and I have gotten that backwards, but fortunately for me, that gives me something to review. So a win for both of us.
I just had it last semester and I honestly forgot like 90% of what I learned, so yea lol.

Back