Question regarding BoJack Horseman

SubmarinerX

Soldier of God
@Yellow
Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking about watching the series now (never watched it before) but don't want to sit through the first season which got pretty average reviews unless it is necessary for context.

So is it ok to start with the second season or should we start with the first one in order to not miss out on anything?

I'm having the same experience. The dog and odd one off character seem like the only funny things in it, but I hear it gets really good.

Start from the beginning. I don't know where the mixed reviews are coming from(compared to the other seasons), because the show has maintained a pretty consistent tone throughout. First season is totally fine. It's not like watching the first season of The Simpsons or anything, where everything is drastically different.

As for the show, just know what you're getting into. It's funny, but it's a dry humor mixed with drama, and has more focus on character development and story, than gags. Odd for a show featuring talking animals, I know, but just know that it's not a bust a gut, strict comedy series.

I think it was about halfway through the first season where I "got" this show. It gets absolutely great, but either it takes several episodes to find its feet, or the exact type of comedy takes a while to grow on you.

As hilarious and clever as it can be, it can be equally thoughtful or even dark.

Power through the first season. I watched it a while back and was so underwhelmed that I stopped watching, but I picked up again recently with the second season, and it's much better.

After seeing all there is to see of Simpsons, South Park, Rick and Morty, etc. and hearing from different people about how good this show is, I decided to give it a try. About 9 episodes into the first season so far.

It's great. It definitely has a serious tone to it, even though it's satirical. Dealing with the entertainment industry, depression, anxiety, addiction, etc. while still being genuinely funny. The animal jokes are top notch, same with Aaron Paul's Todd character. I love a good cartoon that can switch from funny to serious, like Futurama and R&M.

What's also unique is how serialized the show is. Each episode flows into one another, and any kind of reference or character from early on usually gets brought back up again later. It's like what South Park attempted, but this gets it right.

You have to start from the beginning, I hated the first episode and ignored the show for a long time before giving it a second chance. The show has to branch out for you to really understand what it is. It shines most when it things come together after a long set up, but there are plenty of subversions of tropes and animal gags that keep a steady stream of humor even when it gets to its darker points. It's an incredible show, I would recommend it to anyone.

Start from the beginning. I don't know where the mixed reviews are coming from(compared to the other seasons), because the show has maintained a pretty consistent tone throughout. First season is totally fine. It's not like watching the first season of The Simpsons or anything, where everything is drastically different.

As for the show, just know what you're getting into. It's funny, but it's a dry humor mixed with drama, and has more focus on character development and story, than gags. Odd for a show featuring talking animals, I know, but just know that it's not a bust a gut, strict comedy series.

I struggled to get through the first season, and felt there was an enormous jump in quality in the second.

It could just be management of expectations; I'd no idea what to expect and the rhythm of the show shook me at first. Or (more likely) by the time I started season two I was more invested in the characters and the show meant more to me.

Either way yeah, don't skip season one.

The first season isn't bad as a whole, but the first few episodes are pretty mediocre. It gets good around the second half of the season, and seasons two and three are phenomenal (haven't gotten around to four yet). The first season got mixed reviews, I think, because they (the reviewers) usually only base the reviews on the first few episodes.

My wife and I are thinking about watching the series now (never watched it before) but don't want to sit through the first season which got pretty average reviews unless it is necessary for context.

So is it ok to start with the second season or should we start with the first one in order to not miss out on anything?

Don't give up. Things happen in the show that they refer to later on down the line... Multiple times. First season included. Just get threw it and enjoy. I just finished the last episode of season 4 today...I need more Bojack!

It’s decent. I thought it was going to be much better, based on everyone raving about it. Though the underwater episode is pretty brilliant in tone.

I watched the first 3 episodes of season 1 and it's probably just not for me. All the characters outside of Bojack and the Asian chick are annoying and it seems like the show is supposed to make you feel like shit afterwards. I love the intro though.

Back