Question/Poll about rolling rounds...... | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BADodd06, Mar 10, 2017.

1. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    Sounds like my school is a bit of an anomaly. We drill\flow in the beginning of class, do technique, and then it's just free rolling. No one sets a timer. We just pick a partner and start rolling.

We stop when someone taps but instead of grabbing someone new we'll just restart over and keep repeating the process for 5 or 6 rolls. However sometimes you can roll with an evenly matched opponent and can be rolling for up to 15 min without anyone tapping so then we might take a break for few min. Sometimes we keep going or sometimes it's the end of the night for one of us. I might change partners once if the guy I'm rolling with has to leave or needs to take a break.

We have a no gi open mat on sunday and oddly enough we set the timer for 5 min rounds and just constantly rotate through partners.

Even though staying with one person for so long might be unconventional it does allow you to really tinker with specific styles.

lechien likes this.
  2. fishNjits Yellow Belt

fishNjits
    1 hour class usually has three 5-minute rounds at the end.

3. Ryoto Machida Purple Belt

Ryoto Machida
    Normal class size we do 20 minutes technique, 40 minutes of rolling with 5 minute rounds. Big turn outs where space is a factor we'll have 5 guys on the mat, 10 minute shark tank with 2 minute intervals, then that repeats with different people. Other times when he's feeling particularly sadistic, we'll just roll the full hour, 5 minute rounds.

4. BADodd06 White Belt

BADodd06
    Unfortunately the next closest schools are and hour or more away in both directions. I used to drive an hour every Friday to roll with 3 high level brown belts as a supplement but they've since dissolved their gym and moved so I'm kinda left hanging back where I am at my gym. I may have to put feelers out there for anyone willing to get some mats and roll at a house or the possibility of scheduling another open mat with somebody who has a key. Can't keep going with this rolling deficit.

5. fanboysareevil Green Belt

fanboysareevil
    Anywhere from 3-8 or so 5 minute rounds. Up to 10 7 minutes in a once a week advanced class.

Lechien is either nuts or rolls twice a week. You're either going pretty light or getting pretty injured if you're consistently getting 60-70+ rounds per week.

6. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    Just keep moving forward. Look for answers not excuses. Start your own small group of just guys who want to spar. All you need is 1 othe guy and a 10 x 10 mat. Get a other one and you round robin. Add a 4th guy and expand the mat and in 45 minutes you can get good hard sparring with 3 different types.
    Go for it. Keep us posted

7. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    Neither my school or the place I drop in will use rounds for rolling. Two people roll until they decide to rest or change partners.

8. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Lol. We only 2 classes per week. And an open mats somewhere else on Saturday.

But one hour roll per class is normal.

I mean you don't have to roll one hour but can take round off. A class with 3 rounds at the end is just too short IMO.

Even if I offered Bjj classes every night. I doubt someone will attend 5 classes straight per week.

People have a life you know.

9. fanboysareevil Green Belt

fanboysareevil
    You hugely overestimate how much of a life some people (me) have >.>.

10. BADodd06 White Belt

BADodd06
    Yup as of today I've trained 12 days straight lol