Question for posters who believe climate change is a real, anthropogenic, and exigent phenomenon

Roca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What changes have you made to your lifestyle in the last few years to minimize your footprint and impact on the environment?

I don't know what anthropogenic or exigent mean, which i suppose is the real intent of this thread. You win, vocab King. I tap.

Nothing really. I'm your typical selfish, lazy North American that would prefer someone else do the hard work and make the sacrifices.

As they say in New Orleans - until the great flood comes, let the good times roll.

I shit in my neighbor's backyard. he thinks it's his great dane doing the dirty.

What changes have you made to your lifestyle in the last few years to minimize your footprint and impact on the environment?
I take the bus instead of driving to work. But that really isn't the point. This is one area where government needs to step in and regulate so that the products we need to live don't pollute, as well as invest in the technologies to make it so green products don't cost too much or are at least competitive. People didn't stop employing child labor, or stop sending their children off to work because of some shift in global consciousness. The government had to step in to make it economically less viable to employ children by punishing those who did.

I collect my spittle in a container to be re-consumed at a later date.

Nothing really. I'm your typical selfish, lazy North American that would prefer someone else do the hard work and make the sacrifices.

As they say in New Orleans - until the great flood comes, let the good times roll.

This seems to be most people's approach

I take the bus instead of driving to work. But that really isn't the point. This is one area where government needs to step in and regulate so that the products we need to live don't pollute, as well as invest in the technologies to make it so green products don't cost too much or are at least competitive. People didn't stop employing child labor, or stop sending their children off to work because of some shift in global consciousness. The government had to step in to make it economically less viable to employ children by punishing those who did.

Was taking the bus a conscious decision made in an attempt to mitigate your carbon footprint or was it something you had been doing for a while or a decision made based on other factors?

I collect my spittle in a container to be re-consumed at a later date.

I'm not a scientist but I'm not sure that is actually helping anything

I was a minimalist even before the global warming phenomenon began in the news media. I've always left a tiny footprint. I've been conscious of things like recycling, self-sufficiency, and minimal waste and energy usage for decades now.

Was taking the bus a conscious decision made in an attempt to mitigate your carbon footprint or was it something you had been doing for a while or a decision made based on other factors?

It was simply a matter of cost and convenience, which is very much my point. People are always going to make choices they believe are in their own self interest. Unfortunately, that view doesn't extend to the long term.

I started a new job last year and driving to work instead of taking the bus would have cost much more. I drove to my previous job because there weren't any bus routes that ran from my house to that office. But if the city had invested more in mass transit, there might have been, and I would have taken the bus.

I recycle more. I try and reuse things more before throwing them out.

Like @Soda Popinsky said, the government needs to step in and heavily regulate, plus investing in the tech, plus an incentive to change, such as tax breaks for using electric cars, solar panels, etc.

As for myself, I massively cut down on my meat dairy consumption, my energy output for my house is well below that of the average American home, and even below the efficient energy homes, and of course I recycle as much as I can.

Meat and dairy really is a horrible industry for the environment plus it doesn't offer much in terms of health benefits. (quite a bit of misinfo in terms of that industry and how we "need red meat and dairy"

I'm really curious what TS is getting act with his question.

Personally I've stopped eating meat, adopted a zero-waste lifestyle (obviously I don't achieve 0% waste generation but I have significantly reduced it), signed up for local produce boxes, and try to purchase goods from local, ethical, and responsible companies as much as possible. Once the weather gets nice again I'll start biking to work instead of driving.

I'm really curious what TS is getting act with his question.

No ulterior motive here. I'm not trying to guilt-trip or be holier than thou. I was just interested in discourse with those posters who do believe we need to take action on climate change and see what changes they've implemented in their life. I've made a lot of changes over the last couple of years so it is interesting to me.

I also didn't want to get into an argument about climate change which is why I asked only those who are on board to join the thread.

Use the lights as little as possible, don't run the water when I brush my teeth, don't buy plastic bottles, walk or ride the bus as much as possible.

Too many big words in that title.

I'm feeling like Leon

Only an idiot does not believe climate change is real TS.

Don't fall into that trap of people trying to frame this debate as 'those who accept climate change is real VS those who do not'. That is a false argument, a lie, created by those pushing a specific agenda.

The actual debate is not over 'whether climate change is happening' but rather over 'is mankind the cause, or a meaningful component of climate change'.

that is the debate those typically considered on the left don't want to engage in as it far more hard for them to address.

Back