Question For My Kickers?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
When you are shadowboxing, hitting the bag or sparring/fighting what is your kick volume?

Do you have a baseline ratio for how you divide punches and kicks in your arsenal?

How do kicks fit into your combinations?

With me kicks are mostly for upon entry or exit. I don't really throw them in between punches. Unless you are counting knees as a kick. They have a similar range to punches. It's an issue of range with me. Could change as my training does though.

CSA has a 900 kick drill iv been using for the bag and its pretty awesome. my kicks have definitely gotten better
1.teep-marching, speed, power 100 of each
2. knees-marching, speed, power 100 of each
3. round kicks-marching, speed, power 100 of each

As for how they fit in combination im really a take openings kind of guy, i like to counter. if i kick its usually set up and its usually a level change like a jab-cross-rear low kick (tap-tap-chop) (high-high-low) or one of my favourites off rhythm cross-lead hook body-rear high kick (tap-tap-chop) (high-mid-high)

Just be weary of the opponent catching onto your rhythm remember to play around with it (tap tap chop, tap chop tap,chop tap chop), have fun with it. At the end of the day i think of a fight (or 6-8 round sparring sesion) as one long combination and i just let stuff flow out. dont try to control yourself too much. trust in the training

This changed a lot of how i see fighting now, really worth the time IMO

With me kicks are mostly for upon entry or exit. I don't really throw them in between punches. Unless you are counting knees as a kick. They have a similar range to punches. It's an issue of range with me. Could change as my training does though.

What style do you practice or compete in? If you mentioned it already I can't recall at the moment.

Do you use kicks to establish your range?

CSA has a 900 kick drill iv been using for the bag and its pretty awesome. my kicks have definitely gotten better

As for how they fit in combination im really a take openings kind of guy, i like to counter. if i kick its usually set up and its usually a level change like a jab-cross-rear low kick (tap-tap-chop) (high-high-low) or one of my favourites off rhythm cross-lead hook body-rear high kick (tap-tap-chop) (high-mid-high)

Just be weary of the opponent catching onto your rhythm remember to play around with it (tap tap chop, tap chop tap,chop tap chop), have fun with it. At the end of the day i think of a fight (or 6-8 round sparring sesion) as one long combination and i just let stuff flow out. dont try to control yourself too much. trust in the training

Thanks for the input and proving a layout of your combinations. Thanks for the media from a proficient practitioner. I will definitely pay attention to her words.

What style do you practice or compete in? If you mentioned it already I can't recall at the moment.

Do you use kicks to establish your range?
I'm trained in kosen jujitsu. To be completely honest, the standup side of it is pretty much just brawling with karate kicks, nothing to technical. It shines alot more on the ground. My main range finder is my jab. I can establish a longer, more defensive range with my lead leg sidekick, but at that distance I need to lunge to to make my punches land. I guess the lead roundhouse is better for finding punching range, but I haven't used that one as much.

I'm trained in kosen jujitsu. To be completely honest, the standup side of it is pretty much just brawling with karate kicks, nothing to technical. It shines alot more on the ground. My main range finder is my jab. I can establish a longer, more defensive range with my lead leg sidekick, but at that distance I need to lunge to to make my punches land. I guess the lead roundhouse is better for finding punching range, but I haven't used that one as much.

What do you think about throwing a sidekick and "falling" into a right hand by pivoting and rotating the hips to chain the sidekick with the right hand? Similar to a jab cross combination but sidekick cross.

What do you think about throwing a sidekick and "falling" into a right hand by pivoting and rotating the hips to chain the sidekick with the right hand? Similar to a jab cross combination but sidekick cross.
Id suggest getting good at using a teep. Really versatile kick, and if you get your opponent starts blocking the body you can just feint the teep and throw the cross or even fent the teep and thai hop into an elbow

Id suggest getting good at using a teep. Really versatile kick, and if you get your opponent starts blocking the body you can just feint the teep and throw the cross or even fent the teep and thai hop into an elbow

Teep is the front kick? So hips squared off, no angle like chambering a sidekick for what you're suggesting? Thanks for the input. It's giving me something to think about.

Teep is the front kick? So hips squared off, no angle like chambering a sidekick for what you're suggesting? Thanks for the input. It's giving me something to think about.
Yup. I feel like the turning of the hips for the side kick would make the cross that much slower. Teep is a front leg push kick essentially. Can be used for power or to keep distance. I like it to the leg to check distance as its less open to counters then a lead inside kick in my opinion
teep.jpg

EDIT: funny enough i just went on ig and Gaston Bolanos won his fight last night via SP teep-right hand haha

Yup. I feel like the turning of the hips for the side kick would make the cross that much slower. Teep is a front keg push kick essentially. Can be used for power or to keep distance. I like it to the leg to check distance as its less open to counters then a lead inside kick in my opinion
View attachment 443785

Well damn. I absolutely agree. I guess the only thing I would be mindful of is not throwing my cross too wide if the hips are already squared. Some people fall into that mistake and wonder why they can't land the right had, it becomes a far right hand lol. I think it's just biomechanics of the body at work but you have to train it out of yourself. That's me drifting off topic, thanks for the input. Good stuff.

Well damn. I absolutely agree. I guess the only thing I would be mindful of is not throwing my cross too wide if the hips are already squared. Some people fall into that mistake and wonder why they can't land the right had, it becomes a far right hand lol. I think it's just biomechanics of the body at work but you have to train it out of yourself. That's me drifting off topic, thanks for the input. Good stuff.
No worries. Im really focused on rhythm, balance and the way kinetic chains are transfering power and working with my body. It naturally sharpens up everything iv found but its definitely more of the meta stuff involved in striking

It's doable if you are more skilled than your opponent, but you are likely to get countered HARD falling into the cross. I prefer the sidekick to jab or the jab to sidekick. It's marginally safer with better speed, and similar power, seeing as I lead with my dominant side.

Just hit the bag. Do what feels good and what you think you need

how are you doing the alternating round kicks non stop? on a stationary bag? banana bag? are they low kicks? I have hard time marching kicks back and forth on my bag, but they are high kicks and its not a banana bag. I can only get a few before the rhythm falls offs.

this is a good post, as you have mentioned, we end up punching much more than kicking, whether its intentional or not. This is why I dedicate 1 day a week to just kicks. That being said, you shouldnt open a combination with a kick, kicks are generally used to end a combination, that is the body mechanics behind them, specifically when shadow boxing. When hitting the bag, pads, sparring, fighting, you can follow kicks up with punches, but I still would not open a combination with a kick, generally speaking.

this is a good post, as you have mentioned, we end up punching much more than kicking, whether its intentional or not. This is why I dedicate 1 day a week to just kicks. That being said, you shouldnt open a combination with a kick, kicks are generally used to end a combination, that is the body mechanics behind them, specifically when shadow boxing. When hitting the bag, pads, sparring, fighting, you can follow kicks up with punches, but I still would not open a combination with a kick, generally speaking.
Yeah, unless you've really sold them its a bit slower and easier to see than punches. To me its like leading with a body rip. I'm referring to main shots aiming to damage, for feelers kicks are fine to lead

Back