Question for knowledgeable members re power please

not hand size alone, no, I don't think so without factoring in everything else like bone density, wrist size/strength, durability, arm length, technique, etc

Generally I'd say if you have a bigger fist youre more likely to have more mass which equals more power.

But that's not the rule.

not hand size alone, no, I don't think so without factoring in everything else like bone density, wrist size/strength, durability, arm length, technique, etc

Bone density, how is calculated in relation to power?

Bone density, how is calculated in relation to power?

I dunno if you can calculate it, but someone with denser bones can theoretically punch harder without as much fear of breaking their hand. im sure there is some weight difference too but i think that would be pretty minimal difference.

Due to all the factors, especially things like technique, measuring punching power and what exactly affects it is near impossible between fighters

Does fist size make a difference to power or not?
Recent studies on punch power measured two determinants of force output; velocity of the strike and effective mass. It was discovered that effective mass roughly equaled the mass of the punching arm. So if you had a heavier fist you would in theory have a potentially higher effective mass. But effective mass also relies heavily on punching technique so just because your fist is a bit heavier doesn't mean it will make much difference to your power if say your technique is bad.

Does fist size make a difference to power or not?

Muhammed ali had slightly bigger fists than Foreman (12 and half inch vs 12). Hard to find a HW who DOESN'T punch harder than Ali.

Last edited:
I have puny 7 inch fists and thin wrists.. Still punch like brick wall.

it helps, because generally a bigger fist is more mass being thrown. But as D1 said, there are other factors.

Wouldn't a bigger fist slow the arm down due to the bigger mass, all else equal? I've never had big fists so I don't know..

I have puny 7 inch fists and thin wrists.. Still punch like brick wall.

BtAvkfn9FUjQHB4R_6h3ja47jFiAYoUoGRct-D_4SJdeI3YWOCboWWc7x4FM0VG5nTt4J23-BfvD6RIU-RwJQbJXjY2QxsYRoDix3GpMSnZOQtL4G6PADmXWu18KmW-4OYZmUvYYQo_c9l_PmG-duguAGDM-0bPF1aU=w245-h150-nc

Follow up to this, what makes a great chin?
some would point to anatomical things like perhaps a thick, strong neck, a heavy jawline, some would even say it's part psychological. I just think there is a natural aptitude to take a shot just like there is an aptitude for everything else in the sport.

Back