Question for Brits: Does your nation ever yearn wistfully for the days of the Empire?

I just thought id tell you guys the last rifle that served your empire was a true work of art

lee_enfield__303_low_poly_by_01dawg10-d5dzgc4.jpg
Certainly better than their current standard issue (SA80). Not only is it an ugly bullpup but it's unreliable too.

sa80-l85a1.jpg

those are lee enfields not mausers.

1B6AFCD6-BD1C-4F2F-962E-3F916FABB023_zpst5h78pvk.png

My statement was meant to convey that between Bolt action WWII rifles, a lot of folks prefer the action of the Mauser over the Enfield.:)

1B6AFCD6-BD1C-4F2F-962E-3F916FABB023_zpst5h78pvk.png

My statement was meant to convey that between Bolt action WWII rifles, a lot of folks prefer the action of the Mauser over the Enfield.:)
ah,maybe you should of made that clear.

Yeah I think pax-britainica morphed into pax-americana

The american CIA was setup in large part by MI6, and the main think tank that comes up with American foreign policy (The Council on Foreign Relations) is an offshoot of the British Royal Institute for International Affairs.

The larger networks 'of empire' so to speak didn't just disappear.

Beat me to it. Are you a history major?

I like the idea of the perfect British Empire where there are Taverns with cheap English Ale and Stout. Sport is played be it Soccer, Cricket, Rugby, Boxing and Music Hall Wrestling etc music and influence of the the new worlds in food and drink like Jerk Chicken, Mutton Curry, Kedgeree and Wine plus music be it Calypso from Trinidad, Ska and Reggae from Jamaica, Hi-Life from Ghana, JuJu and Afro beat from Nigeria, Bhangra and Bollywood from India.

no.... we have a lot of blood on our hands.

Bruh, the British Empire lasted long after the Revolutionary War. The United States just wasn't part of it.

Didn't they come back and kick your asses (and burn down Washington?).

As someone who has lived around the world, I'll tell you this: former British colonies/territories/possessions (such as Cyprus) are the least corrupt bureaucracies in the world and the British system is the best system of governance the world has ever seen.

Compare that to say Spain, and look how shit everything south of the US is.

Other than the rest of Western Europe and select countries such as Japan, very few places in the world can contend.

The English have a lot of faults, such as being cold, extremely ugly and having shit food, but they had the most efficient and ethical empire the world has ever seen.

We don't really think about it. Can't remember the last time I spoke to anyone about it.

It was corrupt anyway instead of colonising hot countries where we can't live for the capitalists we should have just sent everyone to the cooler climes.

It still exists. They're just low key about it.

From what I understand, the last vestiges of the Empire weren't even fully dismantled until well into the latter half of the 20th century.

yea. its really the world wars that brought them down. they had bigger fish to fry than spending manpower and resources on trying to police their colonies and protectorates.

Thread needs more pics of Enfields

No1 Mk3

d00b19a29b11306168168d0c58dfcf82.jpg

No4 Mk1

british_no4_-1024x455.jpg

No4 Mk1 T

enfield-sniper-11.jpg

Jungle carbine

8465582453-b17e834590-b-3198-full.jpg

yea. its really the world wars that brought them down. they had bigger fish to fry than spending manpower and resources on trying to police their colonies and protectorates.

UK was surpassed economically by a united Germany and fully-settled USA at the end of the 19th century and the industrialised Soviet Union in the 20s. Those countries are also better placed geographically to wield international influence.

As the 21st century progresses no doubt we shall start to see more and more military force from the Chinese dragon as it draws level with and surpasses the USA economically Russia's resource domination of the EU also stands it in good stead.

I think there are many poms who act and think like they still had an empire. A lot of them believe they are superior to people of other nations, quite snobby.

It's not unreliable any more in fact it is probably the best general assault rifle. Very compact and accurate.
Not according to Royal Marines who used it in Afghanistan.

Back