Question for athletic doggers with knee issues

I should get more specific. I don't squat because I am not trying to gain mass. I do use all four leg machines to develop clinch strength for jiu jitsu: Adductor, abductor, ham curl and quad extension, but I don't do high-weight at low reps for mass; I do medium weight at 10 reps and then hold for a ten count at the end of a set.
You sound like you've been getting your workout advice from Vogue magazine.

Don't want to gain mass? Don't eat too much. There. Problem solved. Now do your fucking squats.

I should get more specific. I don't squat because I am not trying to gain mass. I do use all four leg machines to develop clinch strength for jiu jitsu: Adductor, abductor, ham curl and quad extension, but I don't do high-weight at low reps for mass; I do medium weight at 10 reps and then hold for a ten count at the end of a set.
If you want healthy knees you'll need three things:
1. A knee+hip extension exercise (usually a squat variation).
2. A hip extension exercise (usually some type of RDL/good morning)
3. A knee flexion exercise (some type of leg curl or ham raise).

And you'll need to increase weight over time.

Btw, if the exercises you've been doing for your legs are bodyweight squats, pistols and adductor machines, then it is very unlikely you have "really strong legs".

I've never had issues beside temporary JJ related injuries (Popped/Stretched LCL on both knees, once each) that have healed without any evident long term effects.

Unfortunately, you're very wrong about the last part. Damage to the knee ligaments means you are destined for osteoarthritis. 100%.

What you call 'loosening' might be moments of weakness in the muscles around the knee related to early stage OA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435919/

I've never found the leg extension machine very good for your knees. Maybe that's aggravating you knees also.

Unfortunately, you're very wrong about the last part. Damage to the knee ligaments means you are destined for osteoarthritis. 100%.

What you call 'loosening' might be moments of weakness in the muscles around the knee related to early stage OA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435919/

Sadly that's true. It's why I haven't had my knee scoped or the MCL repaired. I'm f'd either way but getting surgery which will speed up the time until total knee replacement doesn't sound like a great idea and for the time being, it's not bad enough that I can live with the stupid swelling and intermittent locking/buckling issues. Since the above let it heal naturally it's better than getting cut but odds are, osteoarthritis is still very likely in the future. Damn you old age!

You sound like you've been getting your workout advice from Vogue magazine.

Don't want to gain mass? Don't eat too much. There. Problem solved. Now do your fucking squats.
Feel my triangle.

Feel my triangle.

Nah, that shit ain't gonna work here in f13. Go post in the grappling subforums if you want to be obstinate in your refusal to listen to genuine helpful advice, get butthurt, then challenge someone.

Hahaha, you guys. Too funny.

But legit: When I said I have "really strong legs" I should have spelled it out completely so it wouldn't be misconstrued. I should have known it would become a "thing" that became a focal point.

When I say strong, I don't mean stronger that yours; I mean stronger than mine would have been if I didn't lift when I was a kid. Back when I was a kid was into competitive Olympic lifting for a couple years so I think that's why. I was 12 and 13 years old when I was doing that. I did lots of squats and even won a couple competitions with Clean & Jerk and Snatch before losing interest.

I never lifted weights again after that until I was 40 years old. So I just meant to say that for a guy my size and my build, my legs could be stronger than the average.

That aside, I was hoping to hear from people who have experienced the same feeling I was describing, and used particular exercises to remedy it.

miaou's post on this page is the best advice you will get.

Weightlifting*

I am sure nobody is worried about your legs being stronger than theirs, you started lifting at 40 and only have 3 years of experience. That "feel my triangle" shit sounds corny as fuck, you started jits at 39 and have under 5 years of training.

yeah dude, I was fucking kidding around.

Back