Question: Alvarez threw it away, or McGregor outclassed him?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the main themes post Alvarez vs McGregor was the questions around Alvarez's performance.

I myself made a thread which was an "open letter" to Eddie, the general gist of the thread was just total disbelief at Eddie's performance and my general thoughts were that Eddie threw it away, more than Conor outclassed him.

Below is a video that has been posted many times already, which is Chael Sonnen's interview with Eddie a few days after the fight. Eddie said everything that I said, and was very much self-critical. This somewhat gave me hope in him, at least he doesn't have delusions around the fight - he knows he did everything wrong.

I know most of the McGregor fans/fanboys/huggers etc. will just pass this off as a perfect performance, and to be honest, it was perfect, but it was perfect because the other guy did everything wrong.

If the Patriots decide to run the ball 30 times with Blount, White and Lewis against the Seahawks' vaunted run defense in the SuperBowl, and Seattle stops it and wins the Bowl - then the was it the Seahawks' greatness that won it, or the poor decision making from the Patriots, or was it a bit of both!? Surely we'd sit back and say, why didn't the Patriots throw the damn ball, right?

Here's the interview...

Moderators feel free to make this into a poll if you see fit.

McGregor outclassed him

He threw it and this thread will probably get deleted because many think Eddie got paid extra to lose.

It was a bit of both. Not saying he would've won had he fought differently but some fighters have that aura and can make you fight their type of fight once the bell goes.

McGregor outclassed him but Alvarez fought stupid

Alvarez lost to a superior fighter, simple as that.

Conor outclassed him. Eddie needs to set up takedowns with strikes. Conor shut him down before he could do a damn thing.

Eddie had him against the cage and could do absolutely nothing.

Kicking Conor's shin and circling left would change nothing. Conor could see everything Eddie wanted to do from miles away.

Alvarez is a great fighter but he is no match for Conor.

I dont see McGregor being around by the time Alverez could accomplish that

Eddie didn't throw his game plan out the window for nothing. McGregor was just better and never let Eddie fight his fight.

What seems to have happened in a bunch of Connies fights is that guys get in there and get caught up in the lights and spectacle and he doesn't. That seems to be what happened to Alvarez.

At this point, I have to give credit to the atmosphere Connie creates around his fights

McGregor outclassed him. I think Eddie didn't anticipate how significant a role that the reach advantage would play. He didn't make a conscious decision to stand with him; he just couldn't set up the takedown because Conor was hitting him from outside of his range. It's part of why Liddell's take down defense was so good. Yes, Liddell had a wrestling background, so that helped, but having really long arms makes it hard for your opponent to set up takedowns when you're punching them in the face.

Eddie took a dive, deal with it Colin fans.

Eddie fought like shit, everyone who doesn't have Conor's scrotum on their eyes sees this.

"Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

People have a lot of ideas about how to beat McGregor, but to get inside, push him up on the cage, take him down, dirty box etc., you have to close the distance. You have to pay the iron price to execute the plan. Most don't have the chin to do it.

"he will give up one of the titles after that fight in New York"

DFW- Sept. 27, 2016

"Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

People have a lot of ideas about how to beat McGregor, but to get inside, push him up on the cage, take him down, dirty box etc., you have to close the distance. You have to pay the iron price to execute the plan. Most don't have the chin to do it.
Most don't even try, that's my issue.

The 2 guys who did it were Mendes and Diaz and didn't throw aimlessly with their chin in the sky.

There is this narrative that McGregor stuffed all the shots from Eddie. Like, that is true in a literal sense, but anyone who has actually watched the fight can clearly see that Eddie's technique and angles were all wrong.

The guy was essentially "panic wrestling". It was amateur hour from Eddie, I saw no new wrinkles from McGregor.

One of the main themes post Alvarez vs McGregor was the questions around Alvarez's performance.

I myself made a thread which was an "open letter" to Eddie, the general gist of the thread was just total disbelief at Eddie's performance and my general thoughts were that Eddie threw it away, more than Conor outclassed him.

Below is a video that has been posted many times already, which is Chael Sonnen's interview with Eddie a few days after the fight. Eddie said everything that I said, and was very much self-critical. This somewhat gave me hope in him, at least he doesn't have delusions around the fight - he knows he did everything wrong.

I know most of the McGregor fans/fanboys/huggers etc. will just pass this off as a perfect performance, and to be honest, it was perfect, but it was perfect because the other guy did everything wrong.

If the Patriots decide to run the ball 30 times with Blount, White and Lewis against the Seahawks' vaunted run defense in the SuperBowl, and Seattle stops it and wins the Bowl - then the was it the Seahawks' greatness that won it, or the poor decision making from the Patriots, or was it a bit of both!? Surely we'd sit back and say, why didn't the Patriots throw the damn ball, right?

Here's the interview...

Moderators feel free to make this into a poll if you see fit.

He threw it and this thread will probably get deleted because many think Eddie got paid extra to lose.

It's simple and not hard to understand. Eddie got hit with a powerful left hand that he never saw coming and was rocked and afraid to get KOd after that. Then Conor continued to crash dat left into his skull never letting him fully recover. Its not complicated.
A fighter like Eddie doesn't fight like that unless he's rocked and afraid to get KOd.

So leading off the back of that, here's a question.

Let's say he beat Chiesa, Barboza and Ferguson and got another shot at Conor...

Would you see the fight going the exact same way?

That's how that fight goes 10/10.
Eddie has nothing for Conor.

"he will give up one of the titles after that fight in New York"

DFW- Sept. 27, 2016
Haven't seen you in a while, good to see you back sir!

tumblr_myxsfovPXl1risusro1_250.gif

Back