Question about weight cutting and PEDs...

Da Killa

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So as I understand it, IVs can be used to mask PEDs after a weight cut.

This make me wonder, does the actual weight cut expose PED use?

If that is the case, doesn’t this bring a whole new aspect to fighters missing weight?

I’m guessing there’s more missing due to diuretics being banned...I believe some diuretics were also being used to mask PED use. Isn’t that what Cyborg once popped for but then was cleared?

The crappy performances and early gassing could possibly be blamed on the IV ban, since they can’t rehydrate properly

All of this is hypothetical without actual control group comparison and experimentation

All this SherBro "logic" that the IV ban prevents proper re-hydration. it does NOT. Studies show that oral hydration is just as, if not more, effective than IV. Not to mention many fighters/trainers/etc. have said it doesn't impact them (and of course the number of fighters that used IV's was never 100% when it wasn't banned).

IV's are banned because they can be used as a way to mask PEDs and/or blood doping.

Finally, I'll just quote my post from Friday:
I know there has been studies as you’ve pointed out, but from my experience, the difference between iv, and oral rehydration is night and day. I had 13 amateur fights and 3 pro fights so far and never used an iv until my first pro fight. It took hours after weighing in to get feeling normal again and still felt a little sluggish the next morning. (Weigh ins st 6pm with fights starting at 6pm the next day) The first time I used an iv, I felt completely normal by the time I was done and able to eat right away. The next morning I felt completely amazing and ready to fight, so despite these studies, it’s hard for me to believe that’s true.

All this SherBro "logic" that the IV ban prevents proper re-hydration. it does NOT. Studies show that oral hydration is just as, if not more, effective than IV. Not to mention many fighters/trainers/etc. have said it doesn't impact them (and of course the number of fighters that used IV's was never 100% when it wasn't banned).

IV's are banned because they can be used as a way to mask PEDs and/or blood doping.

Show me those studies because I don't believe this BS.

Every one that has EVER experienced de- re- hydration can tell you that IV is more effective than oral.

IV saves lives.

I know there has been studies as you’ve pointed out, but from my experience, the difference between iv, and oral rehydration is night and day. I had 13 amateur fights and 3 pro fights so far and never used an iv until my first pro fight. It took hours after weighing in to get feeling normal again and still felt a little sluggish the next morning. (Weigh ins st 6pm with fights starting at 6pm the next day) The first time I used an iv, I felt completely normal by the time I was done and able to eat right away. The next morning I felt completely amazing and ready to fight, so despite these studies, it’s hard for me to believe that’s true.

OT question to you, as to a fighter:

Why don't you waste your time to cut that hard? Don't you want to fight in a higher weight division?
You fcuk up your own health and you know it.

lol no

OT question to you, as to a fighter:

Why don't you waste your time to cut that hard? Don't you want to fight in a higher weight division?
You fcuk up your own health and you know it.
Honestly I feel like I perform better at 145 then I do at 155. I walk around at about 167 when I’m not in camp. When I cut to 145 I eat super healthy to diet down a bit in camp and make weight. I’ve fought a few times at 155 where I didn’t have to cut too much and it just doesn’t feel the same. I start out at the same weight for both and end up close to the same weight on fight night, but if you could see pictures of me fighting at fw and lw, I’m much more shredded and just look in better shape at fw even tho I weigh the same on fight night. Not to mention, most guys I fight at lw cut a lot more then I do since I wouldn’t be considered a big lw.

Overall I just feel like 145 is a better fit for my body type.

Honestly I feel like I perform better at 145 then I do at 155. I walk around at about 167 when I’m not in camp. When I cut to 145 I eat super healthy to diet down a bit in camp and make weight. I’ve fought a few times at 155 where I didn’t have to cut too much and it just doesn’t feel the same. I start out at the same weight for both and end up close to the same weight on fight night, but if you could see pictures of me fighting at fw and lw, I’m much more shredded and just look in better shape at fw even tho I weigh the same on fight night. Not to mention, most guys I fight at lw cut a lot more then I do since I wouldn’t be considered a big lw.

Overall I just feel like 145 is a better fit for my body type.

So, despite cutting, you actually feel better when you're 145? Physically better?

The crappy performances and early gassing could possibly be blamed on the IV ban, since they can’t rehydrate properly

All of this is hypothetical without actual control group comparison and experimentation
Fighters are the only one to blame if they fight dehydrated. How much weight they cut is their decision, and theirs only. If they haven’t adjusted to the IV ban, it’s called stupidity.

Fighters are the only one to blame if they fight dehydrated. How much weight they cut is their decision, and theirs only. If they haven’t adjusted to the IV ban, it’s called stupidity.

Please read @AJ Garcia 's post above.

Please read @AJ Garcia 's post above.
It’s a little different for me since there is no iv ban in smaller orgs. Whether I use an iv or not, I’m usually good to go by the time I fight but I know with the iv, I feel much better quicker. As far as water weight tho, I’m sure guys at the top level cut much more then I do. Even when I cut to 145, I diet and I’m really disciplined in what I eat. I cut out all of my carbs and sodium the week of the weigh in and usually only have to cut 8 or 9 lbs of water the day of and I’m not at a size disadvantage like when I fight at 155 and don’t have to be as strict with my diet. That’s the main reason I feel I perform better at 145 even tho I cut more. At 155, I usually only have to cut 5 or 6 lbs of water the day of the weigh in.

It’s a little different for me since there is no iv ban in smaller orgs. Whether I use an iv or not, I’m usually good to go by the time I fight but I know with the iv, I feel much better quicker. As far as water weight tho, I’m sure guys at the top level cut much more then I do. Even when I cut to 145, I diet and I’m really disciplined in what I eat. I cut out all of my carbs and sodium the week of the weigh in and usually only have to cut 8 or 9 lbs of water the day of and I’m not at a size disadvantage like when I fight at 155 and don’t have to be as strict with my diet. That’s the main reason I feel I perform better at 145 even tho I cut more. At 155, I usually only have to cut 5 or 6 lbs of water the day of the weigh in.

Thank you for your answers.
Sorry to bother you again, but it's really interesting to hear all that from an actual professional fighter.
So I'd like to ask you this:
Let's say, that something unexpected happens in the last days of your preparation and interrupts your weight cut (like this no water in the hotel thing).
And let's say, that you don't attempt to cut until you drain yourself and the fight goes to catchweight. And your opponent makes weight.

Do you think you will have an advantage in this fight? Because the opponent cut more than you?

Thank you for your answers.
Sorry to bother you again, but it's really interesting to hear all that from an actual professional fighter.
So I'd like to ask you this:
Let's say, that something unexpected happens in the last days of your preparation and interrupts your weight cut (like this no water in the hotel thing).
And let's say, that you don't attempt to cut until you drain yourself and the fight goes to catchweight. And your opponent makes weight.

Do you think you will have an advantage in this fight? Because the opponent cut more than you?
So there’s s to. Of different variables that go into this. So I usually have my cut down to a science. I’m the same weight at the same time, every time. So for example the week of the weigh in I’m always 163. Two days later I’m always 159 and so on but it never changes. Now, with the amount of weight I cut, I know that after rehydrating I feel 100% when it comes time to fight. So since everything was on schedule and suddenly the place I’m at runs out of hot water and I end up two pounds overweight, it still wouldn’t give him or even me an advantage. The amount I cut doesn’t hurt me on fight night so I wouldn’t feel any different or be any heavier then what I would’ve since everything was on track to begin with.

Now where things change is if a guy starts his weight cut way heavier than normal and can’t get it done and misses weight. Well he’s gonna be much heavier then he normally is on fight night. It also depends on how much he killed himself trying to make weight. If he just said fuck it, I’m gonna miss anyways and didn’t try to get as much off as he could, now he’s gonna show up real heavy on fight night and not be as drained. If he really tries getting it off until he can’t cut anymore, chances are he’s still gonna be feeling it the next day and even tho he’s heavier, I would give the advantage to his opponent. Like I said, tons of variables go into who has the advantage.

I’ve fought on New Years before and was cutting weight the day before and the sauna I was at closed early because of New Years and I didn’t know about it. I ended up being two pounds over because of that so when I read about the hotel not having hot water, I could completely relate. If you’re used to doing things a certain way, and you’re on schedule but something you can’t control happens like that it suxks. Hope this helps and makes sense. I wrote all of this while at work. I don’t mind at all and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Back