Question about VRAM for the PC savvy

BJP81

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I just bought a Surface Pro 4 to replace my Macbook. Didn't buy it for gaming purposes obviously, but the person who sold it to me was saying how they have the lowest tier SP4 and are still able to play some Steam games on it, so I thought that would be a cool option to have.

To keep it brief, I wanted to possibly download some old school RTS games for the sake of nostalgia, but basically all of them say that the minimum requirement is 256 MB VRAM. My laptop has 128 MB. The other specs are beyond the minimum requirement besides the VRAM. My question is, would it be in any way possible for me to play a game that is said to need at least 256 MB with what I currently have? What would happen if I attempt to play?

Thank you Sherbros

You have to run lower res on newer games. But iirc gta v can run on a surface iv pro. Old school rts should be no problem, aside from compatibility issues some old games have.

You have an integrated graphics processors which uses some of your RAM, not sure what config you have. A simple search on Youtube will give you an idea of what games you can play.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-pro-4/tech-specs

Graphics Options based on CPU:
M3: Intel® HD graphics 515
I5: Intel® HD graphics 520
I7: Intel® Iris™ graphics

Last edited:
Without getting into detail about what games you want to play, yes you probably can play all your old school RTS games on your SP4. Video ram is a buzzword like CPU Mhz/Ghz that doesn't indicate true performance.

Back