Question about Sprints

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I was wondering; does sprinting help in aerobic endurance? If I throw in sprints alongside my long-distance runs, will my aerobic endurance improve? Maybe by alternating, e.g.: 300 meters slow run --> 100 metres sprint --> rinse&repeat.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello all,

So I was wondering; does sprinting help in aerobic endurance? If I throw in sprints alongside my long-distance runs, will my aerobic endurance improve? Maybe by alternating, e.g.: 300 meters slow run --> 100 metres sprint --> rinse&repeat.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

Basically - yes. Speed work is the basis of running fast at just about any distances, including marathons. the dumbest thing recreational runners do is they just run slow and hope to run slightly faster each year. 31 minute 10k runners are really fast and it's not by accident, they do track workouts. Just consider that a world class 1500m runner can run a 51sec last 400m.

To be technically correct, sprinting involves starts and the mechanics of three phases of sprinting. I think you mean speed training and track workouts.

Go to a track and try striding and building up to a fast turn over for 80m. Work up to 200m. If you can work up to 70sec 400s; do a work out where you do 7 (or even 10) repeats.

Basically - yes. Speed work is the basis of running fast at just about any distances, including marathons. the dumbest thing recreational runners do is they just run slow and hope to run slightly faster each year. 31 minute 10k runners are really fast and it's not by accident, they do track workouts. Just consider that a world class 1500m runner can run a 51sec last 400m.

To be technically correct, sprinting involves starts and the mechanics of three phases of sprinting. I think you mean speed training and track workouts.

Go to a track and try striding and building up to a fast turn over for 80m. Work up to 200m. If you can work up to 70sec 400s; do a work out where you do 7 (or even 10) repeats.
Interesting. Thanks for the info, I'll give speed work a shot.
I've always hated long distance runs and aerobic work, so in the past I've been doing short, fast runs a lot and they've always been a part of my workout. Good to hear it's effective to do both.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, I'll give speed work a shot.
I've always hated long distance runs and aerobic work, so in the past I've been doing short, fast runs a lot and they've always been a part of my workout. Good to hear it's effective to do both.

To run fast at maximum aerobic workload, you need to have speed. Without question.

I've mentioned it before but 3 guys on our cross-country team in college out-sprinted a future NFL wide receiver in an indoor 60m try out for the track team.

I can't remember who it was, but I think one of the regulars here said he prepared for a 5K mainly by doing Hill Sprints, with maybe one LISS run per week. He ended up setting a PR time.

That was me, @KnightTemplar

I shaved about 4 minutes off my 5k time by simply adding a 2 531 days a week, a speed day, recovery Tempo and hills. I ran 1 5K a week with fartlek protocol using 19 minute race pace bursts. 8-10 weeks of that and that was basically it.

I shaved about 4 minutes off my 5k time by simply adding a 2 531 days a week, a speed day, recovery Tempo and hills. I ran 1 5K a week with fartlek protocol using 19 minute race pace bursts. 8-10 weeks of that and that was basically it.

What length/height were the hills?

What did you actually run for 5k?

8-10 reps of 400m is an incredibly tough but useful session! Just remember to do 3-4 laps of the track nice and steady as your warm up and again as your cool down.

8-10 reps of 400m is an incredibly tough but useful session! Just remember to do 3-4 laps of the track nice and steady as your warm up and again as your cool down.

One of the first British athletes to use HIIT-style training was Seb Coe, who's father made him run 200m repeats with only 30 seconds of rest between each run.

Depends. Sprints are great, but they do not replace LISS roadwork. You're talking conditioning for striking/MMA, right?

Pretty much anything that lasts over roughly 3 minutes has a massive aerobic component.
So yes, it will increase aerobic endurance.

Yes it is but if you want to run sub 32mins, that is a standard workout. That's the workout and not the warm up of course.

Yes it is but if you want to run sub 32mins, that is a standard workout. That's the workout and not the warm up of course.

Of course, just saying its a greuling session.

As it 8 x 800
Pyramid sessions such as 200,400,600,800,800,600,400,200

Too bad Ironwolf isn't here anymore. That dude was a cheetah.

Especially if you are looking to run 24, 63, 1:32, and 2:10s.

Yeah couldn't agree more, 70 sec 400m reps are enough for me to be redlining by the end. Few guys i run with are repping in the low 60s and it's so hard to imagine the effort you have to put in to shave 3-4 seconds off for each rep

Yeah couldn't agree more, 70 sec 400m reps are enough for me to be redlining by the end. Few guys i run with are repping in the low 60s and it's so hard to imagine the effort you have to put in to shave 3-4 seconds off for each rep

Ya, a workout with guys trying to go sub-1:46 will make you question life. Can't imagine what the 4 guys who've gone sub-1:42 were doing.

Depends. Sprints are great, but they do not replace LISS roadwork. You're talking conditioning for striking/MMA, right?

Depends on what you use them for as well as the intensity etc. For example, I do a couple of LISS 5k runs a week, purely for health and basic conditioning. Now, there's a 250m beast of a hill outside my home. Pretty sure if I built up to 2 x 10 sprints a week, I'd be fitter than I am now. Even though I'd be covering half the total distance.

Depends on what you use them for as well as the intensity etc. For example, I do a couple of LISS 5k runs a week, purely for health and basic conditioning. Now, there's a 250m beast of a hill outside my home. Pretty sure if I built up to 2 x 10 sprints a week, I'd be fitter than I am now. Even though I'd be covering half the total distance.
It's not an and/or, it's a continuum. In the one end you have LISS which is aerobic conditioning, cardiovascular "health", ability to recover, development of oxidative enzymes, capillary density, oxidative fiber characteristics, eccentric cardiac hypertrophy and so on. On the other, you have HIT which is aerobic threshhold/anerobic conditioning, ability to dispose of lactate, anerobic fiber characteristics, power production and concentric cardiac hypertrophy. The two exist on a continuum and overlap at some point, but at the ends they do not replace each other.

You have to decide where you are on that continuum and what the sport requires. For any aerobic sport, sprints are a very useful supplement for performance, but the foundation is LISS. If HIT was what they said, then the Crossfit champ would truly the fittest man on earth.

You can do heavy resisted, high intensity, balls to the wall training from here and to eternity, but if your aerobic foundation and conditioning is not up to par, you will still not be fresh and recovered in boxing or MMA. You do not build up that system as effectively by doing HIT.

Best practice, which is both from evidence and clinical experience, has shown time and time again that the individuals with the ability to keep their conditioning throughout a fight are the guys who do not neglect their LISS work. It is as much about learning to control your output and put a sustained effort, as it is the adaptions.

Back