Question about shoes for certain types of training or sports.

calisoul

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Mods will kick this to Gear and equipment discussion. Throw me a bone while why we are here.

So I have always favored Vans and sometimes Converse. Obviously I dont wear them to spar or roll. I wear them for almost everything athletic. They are a flat rubber sole with no arch. To give you an idea of what I do in them, I run 3 miles usually max. I play tennis and basketball in them. I think they are great for tennis and basketball because they dont slip and stick to the court well. People tell me I should wear a different shoe and that there are better ones out there. I have had no foot problems and never rolled an ankle. I have rolled ankles with running shoes (usually due to the wide heel base catching the ground when I pivot or change directions). Running or cross training shoes seem to have a higher center of gravity aka thicker soles. Is there any merit to what people are telling me? Last time I ran in vans we did 3.5 miles and the guy I was running with had those funky shoes with toes and almost no sole.

if it works for you then Id roll with that I guess .. otherwise go get some Nike Free 5.0's or something similar and learn to pick up your feet a tiny bit more ..

your welcome

If youre running 3 miles on average you shouldn't be wearing converse or vans.. thats crazy. You can do it but youd be way better running in a nice pair of Sauconys or Asics. Id wear vans or converse for lifting though.

You might be wise to hit a shoe store where they measure your feet and determine which shoe would work best for your arch and stride. More expensive but more accurate.

You should be wearing Reebok shoes. I see all the UFC fighters wearing Reebok stuff, so their shoes must be awesome.

Visit a shoe store or physio, would be my advice. As mentioned, everyone has different needs. I overpronate, therefore certain types of footwear would destroy me after one week of my usual routine. In my experience the Asics Gel Cumulus line are hard to beat.

Interesting you've gotten away with Converse/Vans so far though, for me that would be a fast track to plantar fasciitis or tendonitis!

I like minimalist shoes for cross training, but I don't like running in them. ASICS for running.

So you run 3 miles a day in Vans?

That doesn't even seem possible.

Back