Question about shoes for certain types of training or sports.

calisoul

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I have always favored Vans and sometimes Converse. Obviously I dont wear them to spar or roll. I wear them for almost everything athletic. They are a flat rubber sole with no arch. To give you an idea of what I do in them, I run 3 miles usually max. I play tennis and basketball in them. I think they are great for tennis and basketball because they dont slip and stick to the court well. People tell me I should wear a different shoe and that there are better ones out there. I have had no foot problems and never rolled an ankle. I have rolled ankles with running shoes (usually due to the wide heel base catching the ground when I pivot or change directions). Running or cross training shoes seem to have a higher center of gravity aka thicker soles. Is there any merit to what people are telling me? Last time I ran in vans we did 3.5 miles and the guy I was running with had those funky shoes with toes and almost no sole.

So I have always favored Vans and sometimes Converse. Obviously I dont wear them to spar or roll. I wear them for almost everything athletic. They are a flat rubber sole with no arch. To give you an idea of what I do in them, I run 3 miles usually max. I play tennis and basketball in them. I think they are great for tennis and basketball because they dont slip and stick to the court well. People tell me I should wear a different shoe and that there are better ones out there. I have had no foot problems and never rolled an ankle. I have rolled ankles with running shoes (usually due to the wide heel base catching the ground when I pivot or change directions). Running or cross training shoes seem to have a higher center of gravity aka thicker soles. Is there any merit to what people are telling me? Last time I ran in vans we did 3.5 miles and the guy I was running with had those funky shoes with toes and almost no sole.
If it works for you just stick with it. No need trying to fix something that’s not broken...

Back