Question about sets

NorwegianMMAfan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I used a 5x5 workout some years ago and as I understood it you were supposed to do warmup first with heavier and heavier weights. Then 5 sets of 5 repetitions with your training weight (25 x 150 pounds in total in this case)

I stopped training for quite a few years and started again recently but couldnt find the exact same program. A variation of it said that as a beginner you should do "pyramid" training where in the 5 sets, you do for example: 5x 30 pounds, 5x 60 pounds, 5x 90 pounds, x120 pounds then last set you do your training weight of 5x 150 pounds (meaning the warmup sets are a part of the total 5x5).

Which of these are the "correct" or most used way to work out?

I know these numbers are super low but I've always been physically weak so try to ignore them :p

Thanks so much! His beginner program is actually my old program so I'll go for that haha :D

There is an advanced programming for this as well, but I don't recommend going into that. You can run this program for a long time. You can adjust the week you want to hit PRs. I hit mine on week 4 or 5 depending on how the last cycle went. Stop when you stall. And by stall I mean you can't make the reps for two weeks in a row. Then plug in the numbers and restart. At the end I was only able to hit week 4 and then reset. It was always a PR, and I didn't want to get discouraged by missing reps so I took the gradual route instead. Plus I'm old

Madcow is maybe the most succesful cookie cutter routine in history.

This is something you and I can agree on.

Both pyramid and straight-sets are valid ways to program. My opinion is that straight sets make more sense when the weights are lower because when ramping up you'd be using quite light weights. That said, Madcow is a very popular and successful program that uses ramping so you can't really go wrong either way.

You're right Doc. There are a few reason's why it is so successful.

1. Less time in the gym
2. Less boring because you are not using the same weight
3. Built in high reps for the pump

The few times you run it, you can make it 12 weeks likely without much issue. After that it drops significantly.

I'm doing the 5x5 again after laying off for so long on the weights

Started on Dec 13th 2016

Squats 105lbs
Bench - 65lbs
Barbell Row - 65lbs
OHP - 45lbs
Deadlift - 140lbs

now at

Squats - 200lbs
Bench - 120lbs
Barbell Rows - 120lbs
OHP 82.5lbs
Deadlift - 230lbs

the wait accumulates quickly - am only adding 5lbs on Squats, Bench, Dealifts and Barbell Rows per workout - micro loading on the OHP as that is my weakest lift.

I'm a huge fan of going up the pyramid with sets of 5-3 reps to a top, heavy AMRAP set & then coming back down. Like others have said though, there are plenty of valid methods. Play around & just use what you feel you respond best to.

I'm doing the 5x5 again after laying off for so long on the weights

Started on Dec 13th 2016

Squats 105lbs
Bench - 65lbs
Barbell Row - 65lbs
OHP - 45lbs
Deadlift - 140lbs

now at

Squats - 200lbs
Bench - 120lbs
Barbell Rows - 120lbs
OHP 82.5lbs
Deadlift - 230lbs

the wait accumulates quickly - am only adding 5lbs on Squats, Bench, Dealifts and Barbell Rows per workout - micro loading on the OHP as that is my weakest lift.

Are you like 60 or weigh 105 pounds? You have room for a straight linear progression. A lot of room. If you are a weight class athlete i take that back though.

I like doing 5x5 (3x5 if I have to) for main lifts and a mix of 4x8, 6x6, 3x10 for assistance.

I also like long walks on the beach, candle light dinners, and cuddling by the fire.

Personally I don't understand why you would pyramid up when you're doing strength training. All the previous sets are just tiring you out for the set that matters. When my team does our 10s cycle, we do a pyramid, but it goes down. We do something like 80% 1RM x 10 reps, 75% 1RM x10 reps, 65% 1RM x10 reps, 50% 1RM x10 reps with 3 minutes rest between sets. Going the opposite way doesn't make much sense unless you're bodybuilding.

Are you like 60 or weigh 105 pounds? You have room for a straight linear progression. A lot of room. If you are a weight class athlete i take that back though.

nearly 40 and a fattass......6' - 215lbs......bad knee and shoulder but feeling healthy for the first time in awhile.....explain linear progression....i'm a gnub

I see. Well yes are a
Candidate for LP. Do this

Squat 3x5
Deadlift1x5
Bench/press alternate every single workout

Chins can go a couple days a week as well if you cant chin do lat pulldown 3x10-15

2-3 times a week when squats becom gruesome switch the middle day squat to 80% and do 3 sets of 5. A light squat day if you will. And when cant recover from deads just do them once a week. Starting weight should be a set when the reps slow down then add 5-15 pounds depending on the lift each workout. Eventually pretty quickly you will start doing 2.5 pound jumps for presses and 5 pound jumps for lower lifts.

This is all you need right now nothing more nothing less and you while doing this you need a diet conducive to retaining muscle and/or allowing for maybe some hypertrophy while doing this simple program. A couple of days of hiit is useful but not 100% necessary. Diet is key for you. Good luck Sir!

nearly 40 and a fattass......6' - 215lbs......bad knee and shoulder but feeling healthy for the first time in awhile.....explain linear progression....i'm a gnub
Linear progression in general is where you'd do for example, 3 sets of 10 reps, and when that gets easy, you put five more pounds on and do 3 sets of 10 again, and so on. Not necessarily doing light days, heavy days, ramping up through different rep schemes and then deloading, and all that. The weights just keep getting heavier a little at a time while generally following the same rep/set scheme.

I know the weights I'm lifting aren't heavy but I chose that on purpose to slow down and gain strength slowly. today even at 205lbs for squatting I can feel the knee a little because of just one of the reps I did was not right

Back