Question about NCAA.

When I was in College we had a cap at 30 wrestlers but that may have been specific to Drexel and I assumed it was an NCAA cap.
It’s not an NCAA cap it varies by school, UTC is like 35 now, used to be unlimited. I know Hofstra had a small roster cap so it was a big deal not forfeiting.

It is not even worth saying anything on the internet anymore, because you nerds will argue about anything and everything and propose the most insane amount of conditions and what ifs. Maybe I should just post their social security numbers and photographs of their grandmothers every time I am able to throw a black belt or take down a wrestler so you can verify their identity and get to the bottom of this. No wonder no one good posts here anymore.
Most of the responses have been reasonable and explained the skepticism. Getting defensive makes it look bad

It is not even worth saying anything on the internet anymore, because you nerds will argue about anything and everything and propose the most insane amount of conditions and what ifs. Maybe I should just post their social security numbers and photographs of their grandmothers every time I am able to throw a black belt or take down a wrestler so you can verify their identity and get to the bottom of this. No wonder no one good posts here anymore.

You said something stupid and knowledgeable people called you out on it in a polite way.

Quit crying like a little pussy.

Unrelated.. but how was Bekzod Abdurakhmanov's college career?

1) he did have a college wrestling career, right? as far as I know, his brother coaches in Boston university?

I am just interested, he is a good freestyle guy and I assume he would have good success in folkstyle, too.

1) he did have a college wrestling career, right? as far as I know, his brother coaches in Boston university?

I am just interested, he is a good freestyle guy and I assume he would have good success in folkstyle, too.

Bekzod wrestled at Clarion. He was All American and very successful there.

I think Bekzod is an assistant coach at Harvard now. Same with his brother. He was wearing a lot of Harvard stuff when I trained with him last year.

Bekzod has some really next level skills. The stuff he was showing looked like an Aikido demonstration it was so effortless and smooth, but he was hitting it on top guys live when we trained after.

You said something stupid and knowledgeable people called you out on it in a polite way.

Quit crying like a little pussy.
Why are things so black and white. We all know who Kenny is and where he works out. Lets suppose..........

Kenny is at the gym in a Gi against a walk on D1 kid who quit after 1 year to concentrate on scholastics. This particular kid is 4 years from graduating. So probably 26 or 27 but has not wrestled since he was 18 or 19 years old. He is probably also out of shape and struggled to finish the warm up. Kenny is a BJJ brown belt who has been working out for the last 10 years at a competitive BJJ acadamy that teaches takedowns 2 days a week.

Is it unreasonable to say Kenny could take down said "D1 wrestler"? I say it is not. Why do I say this? Because other than a few details it is a friend of mine. He walked on to a low tier D1 program for a year.

Took 3rd his senior year losing to David Taylor in the Semis.

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA2012.pdf

His brother also took 3rd as senior but he was completely robbed by Johnny Hendricks in the Semis

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA 2006.pdf

Why are things so black and white. We all know who Kenny is and where he works out. Lets suppose..........

Kenny is at the gym in a Gi against a walk on D1 kid who quit after 1 year to concentrate on scholastics. This particular kid is 4 years from graduating. So probably 26 or 27 but has not wrestled since he was 18 or 19 years old. He is probably also out of shape and struggled to finish the warm up. Kenny is a BJJ brown belt who has been working out for the last 10 years at a competitive BJJ acadamy that teaches takedowns 2 days a week.

Is it unreasonable to say Kenny could take down said "D1 wrestler"? I say it is not. Why do I say this? Because other than a few details it is a friend of mine. He walked on to a low tier D1 program for a year.

Read my original post. I gave the dude the benefit of the doubt and he got all huffy about it.

Maybe the guy tried out for a team and got cut

Maybe he was a scrub who managed survive despite getting thrashed daily

Maybe he was few years removed and no longer a "D1 wrestler"

Or maybe your better than you give yourself credit for
This part?

If so yes, I believe this happens a good bit although I doubt most of these kids are "scrub(bs)". Probably still in the top quartile of high school kids.

I guess it depends on what you consider a D1 wrestler. Everyone gives the scenario of some scrub who walked on and quit. To me, thats not a D1 wrestler. A guy who is actively competing as a non redshirt and can be found on the roster, thats a D1 wrestler.

That makes sense. Guys like Dake and Jantzen could have gotten a full ride anywhere so I knew they wouldn't shell out 100s of thousands of dollars just to get a degree from an Ivy League school.

Cornell is technically a state school so can offer in-state tuition. Also, the financial aid packages at a lot of these schools (the endowments are staggering) can be incredibly generous (even for middle-class families), to the point that it might actually be comparable to a scholarship, full scholarships being as rare as they are in wrestling.

Some other points:

(1) It's much easier to get a full academic scholarship to your local state university than an athletic one anywhere, yet plenty of high-achieving students opt to go to fancy pants private schools over schools where they have been offered an academic scholarship (and vice versa).

(2) The alumni networks at these programs are incredible well represented and connected at the major wall street firms. If you stick around the program and don't f*** up, you're pretty much going to be guaranteed a job as junior trader and be well-positioned to get ahead in that particular field, which is obviously fantastic lucrative. While there are plenty of guys from other schools who find their way in, but being an Ivy League athlete makes it... easier.

I guess it depends on what you consider a D1 wrestler. Everyone gives the scenario of some scrub who walked on and quit. To me, thats not a D1 wrestler. A guy who is actively competing as a non redshirt and can be found on the roster, thats a D1 wrestler.

And here is the rub.........If you are on a D1 team, to me, the layman, you are a D1 athlete. You don't have to be a Letterman to be a D1 athlete.

And here is the rub.........If you are on a D1 team, to me, the layman, you are a D1 athlete. You don't have to be a Letterman to be a D1 athlete.
I guess. You can also say if you train at a UFC gym and take an amateur smoker fight you are a "UFC athlete" Big difference but people can claim any moniker they want. I have 6th grade students who train at the UFC gym and have taken BJJ "fights". I certainly wouldnt consider them UFC athletes.

I guess. You can also say if you train at a UFC gym and take an amateur smoker fight you are a "UFC athlete" Big difference but people can claim any moniker they want. I have 6th grade students who train at the UFC gym and have taken BJJ "fights". I certainly wouldnt consider them UFC athletes.
I am not trying to argue and understand your point of view. My bigger point is that Kenny (whom I have never met) is probably not lying. This is the internet and we tend not to leave room for nuance. I don't think Kenny was lying, I also also don't think he was tossing around Dake.

as an FYI
I think UFC fighters are those who get a paycheck to fight in the UFC. A D1 athlete IMOP is a person on a D1 roster.

Cornell is technically a state school so can offer in-state tuition. Also, the financial aid packages at a lot of these schools (the endowments are staggering) can be incredibly generous (even for middle-class families), to the point that it might actually be comparable to a scholarship, full scholarships being as rare as they are in wrestling.

Some other points:

(1) It's much easier to get a full academic scholarship to your local state university than an athletic one anywhere, yet plenty of high-achieving students opt to go to fancy pants private schools over schools where they have been offered an academic scholarship (and vice versa).

(2) The alumni networks at these programs are incredible well represented and connected at the major wall street firms. If you stick around the program and don't f*** up, you're pretty much going to be guaranteed a job as junior trader and be well-positioned to get ahead in that particular field, which is obviously fantastic lucrative. While there are plenty of guys from other schools who find their way in, but being an Ivy League athlete makes it... easier.
That's good info right there. Thanks man.

I think a good POV to add to this discussion is to look at MMA guys who wrestled DI but didn't accomplish anything terribly special. Guys like Chuck Liddell, Jon Fitch, Bermudez, Moraga, Jason High, Phil Baroni, Jay Hieron, Nik Lentz, etc. They never qualified for Nationals or won any big DI tournaments but they spent a lot of time in a DI room and wrestled a lot of matches, itd be impressive as hell to swe a non wrestler toss them around. Its never happened. If anyone had done it I certainly don't think they'd be regarded as not good. Spending a season or more grinding it out in the wrestling room, lasting more than a year, getting better results each season, that's impressive. And would make u a hell of a wrestler relative to most MMA fighters and Bjjers.

Back