Question about BJJ tournaments rules

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Please don't send me a website of a list of rules. I'm to lazy to read. I just have some specific questions.

1. How many points per throw or takedown?
2. What would happen if I avoid the ground for example if the opponent pull guard unsuccessfully, do I need to follow to the ground regardless or can I just keep standing and force him to stand up again ?
3. What would happen if I stay defensive for example if I pin my opponent without trying anything? Is that a penalty or does the BJJ sport understands that pinning is = to controlling and dominating you opponent ?
4. Would I get beat by decision if my opponent try many unsuccessful subs attempts vs me controlling the top position ?

Thanks

Under ibjjf rules:

2 points

2. What would happen if I avoid the ground for example if the opponent pull guard unsuccessfully, do I need to follow to the ground regardless or can I just keep standing and force him to stand up again ?

Your opponent will need to grab before pulling guard. Once he pulls guard. You have to pass his guard. This is not the ufc. You cannot ask the ref to make him stand up.

3. What would happen if I stay defensive for example if I pin my opponent without trying anything? Is that a penalty or does the BJJ sport understands that pinning is = to controlling and dominating you opponent ?

From side control or north, you are expected to further your positional dominance so you will get called for stalling. This is not judo. Once you establish mount or back control, then it is OK as you can no longer ahvance your position.

4. Would I get beat by decision if my opponent try many unsuccessful subs attempts vs me controlling the top position?

No. Referee decision on who he think try to finish the fight. The most aggressive etc...

It is very rare to go to ref decision as there points, advantages and penalties.

May I suggest you just compete in Judo instead!

Under ibjjf rules:

2 points

Your opponent will need to grab before pulling guard. Once he pulls guard. You have to pass his guard. This is not the ufc. You cannot ask the ref to make him stand up.

From side control or north, you are expected to further your positional dominance so you will get called for stalling. This is not judo. Once you establish mount or back control, then it is OK as you can no longer ahvance your position.

4. Would I get beat by decision if my opponent try many unsuccessful subs attempts vs me controlling the top position?

No. Referee decision on who he think try to finish the fight. The most aggressive etc...

It is very rare to go to ref decision as there points, advantages and penalties.

Thanks a lot..And o competed in Judo for 15 years so no thanks. I really want to try something new but it seems that I will need to make many adjustments. I really don't care if I win or not to be honest I will do it just for fun

Under ibjjf rules:

2 points

As for question 2 I still have some doubts. If he pull guard unsuccessfully and his grip is not good enough and he ends on the ground. Am I forced to follow up to the ground ?

As for question 2 I still have some doubts. If he pull guard unsuccessfully and his grip is not good enough and he ends on the ground. Am I forced to follow up to the ground ?

Yes, you have to engage. Even if he loses his grip on you, he is allowed to stay on the ground. The rule is, he just needs to have contact with you WHILE he pulls guard.

You can disengage and pass standing. Basically just run around him trying to catch him off guard.

But cannot walk away and expect a ref restart.

You can disengage and pass standing. Basically just run around him trying to catch him off guard.

But cannot walk away and expect a ref restart.

Gotcha. Thanks

Back