Question About Anti-Boxing Mentality

who's opposed? lol
almost every day I read threads like this boxer would do well in mma, this one that one
if you're talking about floyd I don't think anyone is opposed at the idea of watching floyd getting at least human blanketed (thinking like getting the less skilled mma fighter possible)

I have no problem with boxers coming over to MMA.

As for the sport itself, compared to MMA, boxing is lame AF. Shoes, belly protection and clown gloves with punching only. It's just a matter of time before boxing is a thing of the past.

why would it be? boxing as a sport is for me and many others more entertaining than mma by a longshot, it doesn't have to be a some kind of ultimate combat to be appealing.

I am curious as to why there is a anti-boxing mentality with some mma fans. Why are some fans so hostile towards boxing and why are some fans so against boxers crossing over into mma?

With the UFC being the premier MMA organization, I would think that most fans would want the best of all combat disciplines to transition into and compete in mma. Many fans would like to see Olympic/NCAA wrestlers, black belts in sambo, judo and Brazilian jujitsu and top muay thai and kickboxers to compete in mma. So why is it that some don't want to see the best boxers crossover?

It seems pretty evident that no individual discipline can compete solely on its own techniques. Some people claim that a boxer would get defeated easily in mma. But doesn't the same hold true for every other style as well? Wouldn't a pure wrestler and pure BJJ practitioner also struggle heavily in an mma match?

Of all combat styles it seems like mma gets reasonably high quality talent from the majority with the exception being boxing. There aren't as many notable and accomplished boxers who have transitioned over. There are certainly elements of boxing that are very effective in mma and the sport would benefit by having more talented boxers transitioning over as well.

So why are some so opposed to seeing boxers transition over? Also why do some believe that these boxers can't learn the other aspects of mma in order to compete?
I have asked the same question. It seems like MMA fans love every other martial art except for boxing. LOL

why would it be? boxing as a sport is for me and many others more entertaining than mma by a longshot, it doesn't have to be a test of the ultimate combat to be appealing.

There are people that tune in to the special Olympics, so I guess you have a point.

There are people that tune in to the special Olympics, so I guess you have a point.

that's the kind of hostility the ts is talking about. what's that about? both great sports, with different appeals.

there you go.

Seriously?

I said many, you showed me one, and he's basically trolling. He didn't address the OP about cross over stars.

If you want to find some idiots who will troll your interest, the internet, Sherdog is a great place. They are hostile towards everything, not just boxing. Are MMA fans against boxing cross over stars? I can't say I've ever heard that before. MMA fans are overwhelming welcoming to the idea of a boxing star coming over.

that's the kind of hostility the ts is talking about. what's that about? both great sports, with different appeals.

If you took a secluded man from a jungle and showed him MMA, he would understand it was a fight. If you showed that same man a boxing match, he would ask what the fuck was going on.

Seriously?

I said many, you showed me one, and he's basically trolling. He didn't address the OP about cross over stars.

If you want to find some idiots who will troll your interest, the internet, Sherdog is a great place. They are hostile towards everything, not just boxing. Are MMA fans against boxing cross over stars? I can't say I've ever heard that before. MMA fans are overwhelming welcoming to the idea of a boxing star coming over.

of course you're right. not sure how this subforum represents the mma community as a whole, but people especially non combat sport fans had that exact talk during the McGregor vs Mayweather build up.

If you took a secluded man from a jungle and showed him MMA, he would understand it was a fight. If you showed that same man a boxing match, he would ask what the fuck was going on.

That's an exaggeration. Show him a Woodley fight and then a Gatti fight and then ask them who is fighting.

And even if that would be the case, If you showed him soccer, football or basketball he wouldn't know what the hell is happening either. doesn't mean those sports aren't intruding to many people. It's not about what ist he ultimate form of combat, it's about what is entertaining. I can see your viewpoint of liking combat sports because of that, but it's ignorant to assume everyone thinks like that.

so? If you show him soccer, football or basketball he wouldn't know what the hell is happening. doesn't mean those sports aren't appealing to many people.

He would figure out those are games. If he watched boxing he would eventually figure out they were trying to hurt each other but wonder why they were standing in front of each other just punching and hugging.

He would eventually ask if they are mentally challenged since he sees the techniques they are using to fight are pathetically basic. He would laugh at how easy it must be to kill them since they are barely doing anything that resembles an actual fight.

I’m pro-MMA and pro-boxing. I can appreciate the nuances of both, and as curious as I am about the possibility of crossover stars (not freakshow fights like Toney or Conor), I have to make peace with the fact that these are 2 different sports.

I'm all for boxers, grapplers, wrestlers, karatekas trying mma.

I would love to see high level boxers transition to mma. I couldn’t give a a fuck about kickboxers coming over, kickboxing is a joke made up of nobodies that take turns beating nobodies. Most high level mma fighters would soundly outstrike kickboxers in a strictly stand up fight.

I have no problem with boxers coming over to MMA.

As for the sport itself, compared to MMA, boxing is lame AF. Shoes, belly protection and clown gloves with punching only. It's just a matter of time before boxing is a thing of the past.

This will never happen. I used to be like you. I thought the whole glove and boxing attire was some goofy circus shit.

But I remember taking boxing lessons at an mma gym from a former world champ and I became hooked.

I also feel that boxer has had better iconic characters who were well respected among their fans. To be specific, Ken shamrock is a legend but people shit on him. Meanwhile the likes of Tyson and Chavez are revered and loved through out times.

Also with movies you see boxing to be greatly loved and taken seriously. While mma movie characters seem like they are about angry teenagers. Fun to watch but it doesent have the same flare.

Also there is an anime show about boxing that is super popular and very accurate to real life and characters take after real iconic boxers. Mma in anime starts off amazing but turns in to Dragon ball.

Like it just fine, only get annoyed with the (infrequent) threads claiming boxer X would be great at MMA. Which is just as dumb as claiming Conor, Diaz, or some other fighter would be great at boxing.

Like it just fine, only get annoyed with the (infrequent) threads claiming boxer X would be great at MMA. Which is just as dumb as claiming Conor, Diaz, or some other fighter would be great at boxing.

This is part of what I am curious about. I have seen threads on here in the past where there are rumors or actual proof that an NCAA or Olympic wrestler or some kind of notable grappler is interested in competing in mma. In the past when I have seen that the response has been very positive. Conversely when a notable boxer is rumored to cross over into mma, the response that I tend to see comes across as fairly negative. A world class boxer is an expert at one of the aspects of mma and if they train the other aspects it is possible that they could be very succesful.

If a large number of notable boxers decided to cross over into mma I would think that it would be positive for the sport. The overall quality of striking in mma matches would eventually improve and possibly boxers would choose to compete in mma instead.

It may only be a small minority on here. But I sometimes get the sense that there are some fans that would be deeply upset if a boxer transitioned over and was succesful. If an gold medal wrestler or NCAA champion fights in the UFC and out-wrestles everyone it is expected. If a world class boxer fights in the UFC and knocks out a bunch of fighters it isn't a bad thing. All it proves is that boxing has some effectiveness in mma and that a champion boxer is better than a novice boxer.

I just get the sense that some (a minority of fans) would be really upset if a boxer fought in the UFC and actually knocked someone out.

I want ALL the boxers fighting under mma rules, Floyd vs Manny in MMA, thats more interesting. I like the boxing training, not much their rules

I want ALL the boxers fighting under mma rules, Floyd vs Manny in MMA, thats more interesting. I like the boxing training, not much their rules

It would certainly produce a lot of knock outs. It would kind of be like the old Jack Dempsey clips where he would knock someone down and then wait behind them for them to get back up to get dropped again.

Not being forced to go to a neutral corner after a knock down would be huge. As would being able to continue punching the opponent after they are dropped. It would certainly be entertaining.

This is part of what I am curious about. I have seen threads on here in the past where there are rumors or actual proof that an NCAA or Olympic wrestler or some kind of notable grappler is interested in competing in mma. In the past when I have seen that the response has been very positive. Conversely when a notable boxer is rumored to cross over into mma, the response that I tend to see comes across as fairly negative. A world class boxer is an expert at one of the aspects of mma and if they train the other aspects it is possible that they could be very succesful.

If a large number of notable boxers decided to cross over into mma I would think that it would be positive for the sport. The overall quality of striking in mma matches would eventually improve and possibly boxers would choose to compete in mma instead.

It may only be a small minority on here. But I sometimes get the sense that there are some fans that would be deeply upset if a boxer transitioned over and was succesful. If an gold medal wrestler or NCAA champion fights in the UFC and out-wrestles everyone it is expected. If a world class boxer fights in the UFC and knocks out a bunch of fighters it isn't a bad thing. All it proves is that boxing has some effectiveness in mma and that a champion boxer is better than a novice boxer.

I just get the sense that some (a minority of fans) would be really upset if a boxer fought in the UFC and actually knocked someone out.

With cross training, there's nothing stopping a boxer from being successful. But they absolutely need that cross training, because otherwise they can't control where the fight takes place. A good takedown can cover up a lot of problems that a wrestler might have, by allowing them to avoid striking almost completely. So while a boxer coming over might eventually be successful, a wrestler can have some success immediately. Nobody is going to go from an NCAA title to a title shot without focusing a lot on striking though.

Once they've got TDD and figured out how to deal with kicks, I'd love watching a guy like Tyson come over. I have no desire to see someone come over like Toney did again. I think most boxers with an interest in coming over would understand their shortcomings. I think memories of Toney color some people's opinions though.

Someone from MMA going over to boxing also would have to unlearn a ton of bad habits, even if they have "good" boxing for MMA. And as Conor showed, they may have some issue understanding what a foul is (though rabbit punches are a foul in both, so who the fuck knows...)

I am curious as to why there is a anti-boxing mentality with some mma fans. Why are some fans so hostile towards boxing and why are some fans so against boxers crossing over into mma?

With the UFC being the premier MMA organization, I would think that most fans would want the best of all combat disciplines to transition into and compete in mma. Many fans would like to see Olympic/NCAA wrestlers, black belts in sambo, judo and Brazilian jujitsu and top muay thai and kickboxers to compete in mma. So why is it that some don't want to see the best boxers crossover?

It seems pretty evident that no individual discipline can compete solely on its own techniques. Some people claim that a boxer would get defeated easily in mma. But doesn't the same hold true for every other style as well? Wouldn't a pure wrestler and pure BJJ practitioner also struggle heavily in an mma match?

Of all combat styles it seems like mma gets reasonably high quality talent from the majority with the exception being boxing. There aren't as many notable and accomplished boxers who have transitioned over. There are certainly elements of boxing that are very effective in mma and the sport would benefit by having more talented boxers transitioning over as well.

So why are some so opposed to seeing boxers transition over? Also why do some believe that these boxers can't learn the other aspects of mma in order to compete?
I don’t think boxing does you good for mma I think the contrary it makes you easier to take down, but I am all for more crossover fights in mma

Back