Question about a new Judo gym near my area

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a new Judo gym near my area and I'm interested in joining the gym, I've been looking at the site and social media to check his background.

The instructor is fairly young and he is in his early 30s, has a 3rd degree black belt and competed in multiple tournaments (including internationals, nationals and the olympics) for 12 years.

My question is, is it normal to have a Judo instructor that young and does it sound legit to you (aka not a mcdojo)?

Yes, it is normal to have a young judo coach.. but not too young. The oldest judo instructor I have had was 34, the youngest was 25/6, I think. He had enjoyed success on the international/european level, gaining golds in them. However the youngest coach who I got taught by, was an affiliation from a bigger group - lead by a high dan grade; I think it was 7th dan.

25-early 30s is a normal age.

Are you seriously asking if having an Olympian as a coach is a scam? Admittedly, that doesn't necessarily mean he knows how to teach, but the skill is there. As to the McDojo part, that depends more on their pricing and business practices in your case, which you haven't told us about.

Check him out, see who he was trained under.

One of the downsides of training in a new school is the level of the students if you are advanced.

But it sounds cool!

There is a new Judo gym near my area and I'm interested in joining the gym, I've been looking at the site and social media to check his background.

The instructor is fairly young and he is in his early 30s, has a 3rd degree black belt and competed in multiple tournaments (including internationals, nationals and the olympics) for 12 years.

My question is, is it normal to have a Judo instructor that young and does it sound legit to you (aka not a mcdojo)?

Yes it is normal in judo.

My understanding is in judo, you get your black belt based on performance and not time unlike Bjj.

Well at least for the first 4 Dan or so.

Thanks for the response.

Cool, I will be taking a free trial class this week and hopefully it goes well.

Back